A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 07:26:19 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone buying an IPhone today?  (Read 12488 times)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2007, 10:03:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:

you and I must have the same friend then, because my friend showed that to me and I thought it was craptastic.  For starters everything is in Chinese.....not much help if you speak English.  Secondly it runs a proprietary flavor of linux.  no thanks.

Obviously you and I don't have the same friend. No big surprise.

And, no, it's all in English. Very intuitive. She has called me on it and it sounds SO much better than her old Moto Slvr. Her only complaint is that she can't text while driving!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2007, 10:05:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle
I was one of about 600 people in line last night at the apple store.

I thought it was great that people stood in line for 11 hours to get a phone that didn't sell out that day.

You could have just gone on with your life and showed up right before closing and got the same deal. Of course, then you would have missed the Super Bowl for nerds/techies.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AMP
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2007, 10:09:39 am »

Artist 800 minutes is only 200 minutes per week or around 28 minutes per day.  I use around four hours in a 24 hour day talk time.  

These new phones have digital and analog roaming signals.  Since there are but only a few licensed towers and more phone customers than tower capability, you are bumpped from tower to tower and when your phone changes gears to run in analog it eats the battery life up quicker than on digital.  Much quicker and that is always a challenge, I struggle with batteries constantly swiching on the fly I carry four batteries.  Found replacement batteries at that Cell repair station at 71st and Memorial on the South East corner around from the Cricket Store for $15 a copy, retial is $39.95 for the same exact battery made in China.  

The batteries will last for two days if you do not talk on the phone and it is in standby mode on a digital signal tower.   With Cricket it is UNLIMITED TALK TIME no crap with numbers of minutes alloted like a stupid allowance.  UNLIMITED 24/7 talk all you want.

If you read the manual majority of the batteries only last 2.5 hours of TALK TIME.  That is where the problem is.  Not the idle time battery life, the TALK TIME.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2007, 10:46:47 am »

quote:

the one I saw was definitely in chinese.  i'm sure other language options are available now.  It has been a while since I saw it, closer to when it was released.  She paid like $600 for it....craptastic.

and why would you buy a phone that has HSUPA when ATT only does HSDPA?  buying an unlocked phone might seen cool and "sticking it to the man" until you realize half the functionalities cant really be taken advantage of.

how old are you? i am not "sticking it to the man"... i buy what i want, when it is available and don't see the point in the bogus subsidies...

of course att is not hsupa, but it was not hsdpa when i first got my tytn... att's hsupa rollout is underway and will include approx. 60 markets before the end of 07... i was merely listing the differences... i'd hardly call having hsupa "half the functionalities" especially when it will be here in 6 months... i just refuse to by outdated tech...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
mr.jaynes
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2007, 03:59:31 pm »

Ain't got the time to learn a new cel-phone. I'm having too much fun with the one I have.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2007, 05:36:59 pm »

Superbowl for nerds...

More like nerdapalooza.

The apple store opening was insane. A ton of just Mac people all sitting in portable chairs on their macbooks bluetoothing each other. The resultant radiation temporarily boosted everyone's IQ like 5 points. Plus the apple employees were handing out smart water. Not sure if the water itself is smart or it makes you smarter. I didn't see anyone break out into complex trigonometry after taking a drink though.

Some places did sell out. The apple store had some, but not tons this morning. I think they are disallowed from giving any hard figures to the general public.
inteller
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2007, 06:35:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

quote:

the one I saw was definitely in chinese.  i'm sure other language options are available now.  It has been a while since I saw it, closer to when it was released.  She paid like $600 for it....craptastic.

and why would you buy a phone that has HSUPA when ATT only does HSDPA?  buying an unlocked phone might seen cool and "sticking it to the man" until you realize half the functionalities cant really be taken advantage of.

how old are you? i am not "sticking it to the man"... i buy what i want, when it is available and don't see the point in the bogus subsidies...

of course att is not hsupa, but it was not hsdpa when i first got my tytn... att's hsupa rollout is underway and will include approx. 60 markets before the end of 07... i was merely listing the differences... i'd hardly call having hsupa "half the functionalities" especially when it will be here in 6 months... i just refuse to by outdated tech...

when HSUPA is available from ATT, a device that surpasses the one you have on preorder will be out and cost less.  pointless to pay for tech that cant be taken advantage of...except to brag to your friends, most of whom wont understand anyways.

Noodlez
Activist

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2007, 10:11:14 pm »

quote:

I was one of about 600 people in line last night at the apple store. Many were just there for the apple store grand opening and free shirt though.

oh man nutz, I can afford a free shirt.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2007, 08:39:20 am »

quote:

quote:

quote:

when HSUPA is available from ATT, a device that surpasses the one you have on preorder will be out and cost less.  pointless to pay for tech that cant be taken advantage of...except to brag to your friends, most of whom wont understand anyways.

so brilliant... you've got it all sussed out... i don't know why i did not just listen to you in the first place... thank you for showing me the way...

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2007, 10:28:14 am »

quote:

att's hsupa rollout is underway and will include approx. 60 markets before the end of 07...

Here is AT&T's map of the current HSDPA (3G) coverage in Tulsa (blue area), overlapping the older EDGE coverage in orange.  

http://www2.arcwebservices.com/out/maps/NT_Streets_Cingular_US_f10068aps0018.phx1.aens.net2460648681.png

I recently got to play with a data card (for laptops) and it was reporting a 3G signal in midtown.

(If the link doesnt work, search "74101" in the AT&T Coverage Viewer at http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/  and check the "3G Coverage Available" box.)

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2007, 12:43:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:

att's hsupa rollout is underway and will include approx. 60 markets before the end of 07...

Here is AT&T's map of the current HSDPA (3G) coverage in Tulsa (blue area), overlapping the older EDGE coverage in orange.  

http://www2.arcwebservices.com/out/maps/NT_Streets_Cingular_US_f10068aps0018.phx1.aens.net2460648681.png

I recently got to play with a data card (for laptops) and it was reporting a 3G signal in midtown.

(If the link doesnt work, search "74101" in the AT&T Coverage Viewer at http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/  and check the "3G Coverage Available" box.)

I've used hsdpa on cingular from downtown and can verify it works. With the card I was using I was peaking at 700k though and seemed like a decent amount of latency.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2007, 01:15:52 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:

I've used hsdpa on cingular from downtown and can verify it works. With the card I was using I was peaking at 700k though and seemed like a decent amount of latency.

its been on since december...

restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2007, 07:47:17 am »

Well, I got my iphone on Friday, too. The store at 14th St only had about 60 people in line. I'm not much of a phone-nerd and could probably be OK if we had old rotary phones. I've had nice phones and never used the extras because there were too many menus to go through to get to stuff.

The iphone is super intuitive - was up and running in no time, assigning pics and ringtones to contacts that I downloaded from my Outlook at home - it also uploaded my phone contacts to Outlook.

My daughter played with it for about three hours (mostly youtube) before the battery indicator started lowering. This phone (surprisingly) is actually better than advertised. Now I have a phone with bells and whistles that I can actually use and enjoy.

Also, I plugged it into my ipod car adapter from Mazda, and the ipod works perfectly - now I can sell my 30GB video ipod.

Any takers?
AMP
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2007, 09:10:54 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy20b7pCcrY&mode=related&search=

Tearing into an iPhone.

Must be a stolen iPhone...

Wonder what the value of the phone is in weight of the material used to make it?  

Around $1.00 ?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2007, 09:29:21 am »

What does the "I" in IPhone stand for?

Idiots?

If that is the case, I am going to drive my ICar to IWendy's and get an IBurger.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org