A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 09:38:37 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone buying an IPhone today?  (Read 12530 times)
inteller
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 03:56:52 pm »

this phone is a ripoff, just like the apple store that opened in the mall today.  but in other news, a few more idiots in tulsa were parted with their money today.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 06:36:38 pm »

I think its really kewl and has a fun interface. The artist/non computer type person in me likes easy to use, visually intuitive stuff. However I just re-upped my sprint plan bout 6 months ago so got a year and a half left on it which gives me time to wait till the IPhone gets tweaked up and any bugs worked out. Now, no, next phone, could be. As for batteries, my batteries have always outlasted my phones so not worried about that.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 10:13:10 pm »

this post brought to you by iPhone

Don't hate the playa hate the game.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 10:39:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Unlike your previous statements allude to, the iphone plan is the same as any other phone plan

This was Apple's statement:
"ATLANTA and CUPERTINO, California—June 26, 2007—AT&T Inc. and Apple® today announced three simple, affordable service plans for iPhone™ which start at just $59.99 per month."

...as opposed to $39.99 for AT&T's basic voice plan in the Tulsa market.
(Further down they eventually mention that you can use other plans, though... Sort of marketing smoke-and mirrors).

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
AMP
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 11:15:52 pm »

I will stick with the Cricket. Makes and receives calls 24/7 UNLIMITED TALK TIME local or Long Distance, all I ever need from a phone.

All the other bells and whistles runs the battery down even faster, and I am constantly having to plug into the Pensacola Dam Turbines to run my stupid low voltage device as it is.

1. And who was the Einstone that came up with these new phones that do not allow a spare battery to be charged without using the friggin phone.  Even the old NOKIA phone batteries were chargable out of the stupid phone.  DUH !  

2. And why do cell phones not work without a battery when plugged into the WALL 110 VOLT Outlet?  Every other portable battery/110 volt device I own works either on battery power, or 110 volt power.  Does not need the batteries to be in the thing to operate when plugged into a 110 volt outlet.  DUH!

3. And why the stupid Blue Screen type Nag Window that states "Unable To Charge" or "Not Charging" when the thing is plugged in to a power outlet. Like what does it want you to do, go find an alternative power outlet?   DUH !  

4. Larger capacity batteries for cell phones would be nice for a start so you can actually get away from a 110 or 12 volt outlet for more than 3 hours at a time.  Manufactures need to get a clue. Do they not get millions of complaints about the lack of battery capacity?  I know I have complained every month when I pay my bill.  Hey, stupid Cell Phone Manufactures, get a clue and put in a longer lasting battery, then people will make longer phone calls and use their phones more ofte. DUH

5. Why did the engineers not make all these portable electrical devices operate on 12 volts DC to begin with?  Let's see now, how many motor vehicles are their on planet Earth that operate on 12 volts DC ?   Guess they just wanted to screw us by forcing us to purchase an ADAPTOR for every friggin' new model they could dream up every month.  

6. Not to mention the original black Nokia phones were very durable.  These new cheap flip phones cannot withstand much use at all without a maintenance visit to the new Cell Phone repair stations that have popped up everwhere since they started pawning off these Cheap China

White Plastic Pieces of crap phones on us.  Made of the same Cheap garbage China White plastic as most stuff in your kitchen and bathroom.  Similar to our money, candy coated outside to make it shiny silver and bright, while it is cheap China White Plastic underneath.   Just like a new penny, they are some type of cheap metal plated with a thin thin coating of copper to fake you out.  Take a carbide cutting tool and scrape off the outer shell, it is FAKE money underneath.  Just like the China White material the phones are made of.

I rest my case....
AMP
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 11:55:15 pm »

I have been though many batteries for each of my cell phones I have owned since the early bag phone days. I have not owned a phone that outlasted the case, protective cover, battery, number pads, front cover, or battery charger adapters. All those have failed during the life of every phone I have owned.

Started out with the Bag Phone, then the tall walkie talkie type hand held, switched to the Erickson SWB deal, then to US Cellular, then to Sprint I disliked their service beyond words especially the foreign off shore people that called me constantly at all hours.

Then I bought my Cricket Phone and have never been happier in my life with a cell service. Plus they have real people living in the United States that speak fluent English and answer the phone when you call, wow now that is a new idea.

Handsets could be better, and battery life could defiantly improve, but from research all seem to suffer from the 2.5 hour talk time syndrome. I talk for 8 to 10 hours a day on my cell phone because it is unlimited talk time local or long distance. Only draw back is the battery time.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 12:22:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Unlike your previous statements allude to, the iphone plan is the same as any other phone plan

This was Apple's statement:
"ATLANTA and CUPERTINO, California—June 26, 2007—AT&T Inc. and Apple® today announced three simple, affordable service plans for iPhone™ which start at just $59.99 per month."

...as opposed to $39.99 for AT&T's basic voice plan in the Tulsa market.
(Further down they eventually mention that you can use other plans, though... Sort of marketing smoke-and mirrors).

Yes, 39 for voice and 20 for the unlimited data plan, like every other phone (except blackberries which are more)
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 06:54:36 am »

don't get me wrong... the iphone is very pretty, a very pretty toy... nonetheless, i'd have considered one if it had the feature set i listed above...

i've preordered this

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 08:35:43 am »

Goodness sounds like several of you have had some bad phones.  I almost always go for 2 or 3 days without charging mine before it needs recharging.  I don't know where I rank in the "number of typical calls made". Just looked at my plan and last month I used about 800 minutes, and I think that was a low call month lol. I have had 2 cell phones before this one and the only reason I got rid of them was because they were looking dated and "huge" lol  Is that a phone in your pocket or are ya just happy to see me?[Wink]  I do however notice that if I go on trips out of town that the phone can lose its charge faster, probably from searching for a signal and such.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 08:59:37 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

<snip>
Then I bought my Cricket Phone and have never been happier in my life with a cell service. Plus they have real people living in the United States that speak fluent English and answer the phone when you call, wow now that is a new idea.

This is also the case with T-Mobile. Oh, how I love T-Mobile. I finally escaped the grasp of the devil that is/was AT&T/Cingular/Now the new AT&T about a year ago. My T-Mobile service is great, the customer service people are nice and helpful, and we pay about $60 a month for two phones, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, 600 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends. It's really all we need and could feasibly get rid of the landline and we probably will when 911 will find you on your cell.

A friend showed me her sweet new Motorola Ming phone last night. It isn't available in the U.S. but she bought an unlocked one from someplace in China. http://www.motorola.com.hk/eng/motomobile/a/a1200/
inteller
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 09:16:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaMINI

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

<snip>

This is also the case with T-Mobile. Oh, how I love T-Mobile. I finally escaped the grasp of the devil that is/was AT&T/Cingular/Now the new AT&T about a year ago. My T-Mobile service is great, the customer service people are nice and helpful, and we pay about $60 a month for two phones, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, 600 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends. It's really all we need and could feasibly get rid of the landline and we probably will when 911 will find you on your cell.

A friend showed me her sweet new Motorola Ming phone last night. It isn't available in the U.S. but she bought an unlocked one from someplace in China. http://www.motorola.com.hk/eng/motomobile/a/a1200/

you and I must have the same friend then, because my friend showed that to me and I thought it was craptastic.  For starters everything is in Chinese.....not much help if you speak English.  Secondly it runs a proprietary flavor of linux.  no thanks.
inteller
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 09:19:53 am »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

don't get me wrong... the iphone is very pretty, a very pretty toy... nonetheless, i'd have considered one if it had the feature set i listed above...

i've preordered this

just looks like an 8525 that tilts....not really earth shattering.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 09:35:17 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

i've preordered this

just looks like an 8525 that tilts....not really earth shattering.

try again...

yes it tilts... but-
it also is lighter
thinner
has a stock wm6 rom
comes with 256mb of flash rom and 128mb of ram
has the 32bit Qualcomm MSM7200 Chipset at 384mhz (which is revolutionary)
has hsupa
is usb2.0
has nmea gps built-in
has a 3mp camera

other than that there are exactly the same...
and i've had my tytn since last summer...
i always order my phones unlocked before they are available in the US...
and live contract free...

finally that other phone in the previous post is a motorola ming... it was announced in 05... and started shipping in march 06... has no 3g or wifi and people claim, despite being linux, it runs like crap and has piss poor standby battery life...
and it is not "in chinese"...
it is readily available unlocked contract free for $270... jeez.

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 09:59:15 am »

Supposedly bush is blocking all phones with qualcomm g3 chips from entering the US. I bet that means through standard channels though and not unlocked imports.

I was one of about 600 people in line last night at the apple store. Many were just there for the apple store grand opening and free shirt though.

The safari browser on the iPhone makes the blackberry and windows mobile browser look like lynx. The keyboard works when turned sideways too if it is cramped for you. Whenever you are filling in blanks on a form or forum, it zooms to the field you are working in automatically and out when you're done. I used to think motorola had the best predictive text (blackberry's is laughable) but the iphone's works very well and learns well too.

I also tried out the edge on the worst site I could think of, myspace. I have trouble getting it at home due to slow servers and high number of server resets. AT&T must've done something to the edge network because it loaded in about 7 seconds.
inteller
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 09:59:56 am »

the one I saw was definitely in chinese.  i'm sure other language options are available now.  It has been a while since I saw it, closer to when it was released.  She paid like $600 for it....craptastic.

and why would you buy a phone that has HSUPA when ATT only does HSDPA?  buying an unlocked phone might seen cool and "sticking it to the man" until you realize half the functionalities cant really be taken advantage of.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org