A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 07:44:05 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shocker. The Daily Oklahoma takes shot across  (Read 7436 times)
pfox
Civic Leader

« on: July 01, 2007, 01:06:20 pm »

Tulsa's bow.  Unfortunately, it was a direct hit.

Mayor's Conference article

The shot comes from Editor Ed Kelley during his "Center Stage" video (upper right hand corner)

"...Contrast that to Tulsa.(insert condescending tone here.)  Mayor Kathy Taylor said Tulsa bid for the conference, but didn't make the cut because the city doesn't have near the hotel space downtown. That's not a problem in Oklahoma City, and that is in part because of city leaders and all taxpayers.  The 1400 or so rooms are 1000 more than we had a decade ago.  Think there would be 1400 rooms today if it weren't for the MAPS projects?"

Here's the deal...I am glad for OKC that they got the conference.  Kudos to them.  And they should brag about it...we would had we gotten it. But why is it that they feel the only way to truly shine is to rub it in our (Tulsa's) face?      The truth is, while they have done many positive things (civicly) for their city, they still have an inferiority complex.  It helps Oklahoma if both Tulsa and OKC thrive.  But, as far as I am concerned, at this point, it's every man for himself.  They will get no respect from me until they start actually acting like a big city, instead of just bragging about it.

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
AMP
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 01:49:26 pm »

"What will nation's mayors find in 2010 when they come to OKC?"

Wouldn't of been surprised had they published a cartoon of the rusted Belvedere and made some other remark against Tulsa while using that headline.  

Seems all they needed to say was the accurate number of Hotel/Motel rooms available in the Downtown Convention area and been done with it.  But since the Cities are now in control of the operation of these convention type buildings/leasing/ticket sales operations sounds as if they are in direct competition with other cities for clients and events.

Bill O'Reilly made a statement this morning on his radio program regarding Government Health, he said "If the government runs it don't try to get anything done on Fridays."   The government still runs the Fire Departments and Law Enforcement and they work 24/7 don't they?

Always confused me that our tax dollars are used to apprehend a petty shoplifting criminal, send EMSA to pick up a passed out drunken homeless person up off the street.  

We cannot seem to find money for health care to fix peoples teeth, provide vision care and assist others in need of critical health conditions.   We seem to spend money on folks that do not hold a job or pay taxes, while ignoring those that do?
waterboy
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 02:13:16 pm »

Alright Mr. Fox. You added the condescending tone to his voice. I don't think he changed his tone more than a 1/10 of a degree throughout the little speech.

I visited OKC forums for a while. I never saw the vitriol towards Tulsa that I see on this forum towards OKC. They were friendly and encouraging about Tulsa development though maybe not as sophisticated or informed. We make fun of Bricktown, the Oklahoma River and OKC's diminishing cowtown heritage as though it has no repercussions. Well it does. People there read too and they are quite proud of what they did and it surpasses our efforts so...payback's a *****.

Truth is, people complain on this very forum that we don't need any more hotel space downtown, that having a new hotel close to the Arena is not important because its so easy to get around here and on and on. Here is my perception: there is a better selection of government jobs there (no surprise being the capitol), the population is younger, there is more consensus among the population, people in smaller communities around the city are more likely to visit there downtown for entertainment, they are more aggressive in accepting different ideas and less likely to care what we think about them as they continue to prosper.

But I love Tulsa and can say those things with a clear conscience.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 02:27:49 pm »

Waterboy, in truth - people complain that we don't need any government funded hotel space downtown.  I'm a huge fan of private hotels... but it is not the roll of government nor where I want my tax money.

As I have said before, nearly all of OKC top employers are governmental.  Tinker, the FAA, State Government, County, OU, OU Medical Center, The Federal Building (IRS, Postal, DOJ, etc.)... and on.  The recession in the early 2000's didn't hurt those jobs.  

OKC has played its cards very well to position itself as a mid-major "destination" city.  Conferences and events feel they can go to OKC and people will come because there are others things to do.  Tulsa would be wise to do something similar, but Tulsa is not OKC and needs to find its own way of accomplishing it.

So congrats to OKC for getting the conference, if nothing else it will save us some money when we send Kathy on her next vacation. [Wink]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 02:28:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

"What will nation's mayors find in 2010 when they come to OKC?"

Wouldn't of been surprised had they published a cartoon of the rusted Belvedere and made some other remark against Tulsa while using that headline.  

Seems all they needed to say was the accurate number of Hotel/Motel rooms available in the Downtown Convention area and been done with it.  But since the Cities are now in control of the operation of these convention type buildings/leasing/ticket sales operations sounds as if they are in direct competition with other cities for clients and events.

Bill O'Reilly made a statement this morning on his radio program regarding Government Health, he said "If the government runs it don't try to get anything done on Fridays."   The government still runs the Fire Departments and Law Enforcement and they work 24/7 don't they?

Always confused me that our tax dollars are used to apprehend a petty shoplifting criminal, send EMSA to pick up a passed out drunken homeless person up off the street.  

We cannot seem to find money for health care to fix peoples teeth, provide vision care and assist others in need of critical health conditions.   We seem to spend money on folks that do not hold a job or pay taxes, while ignoring those that do?

For my tax money, I find so much of what Bill O'Reilly has to say is pure unadulterated crap.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 02:43:11 pm »

It didnt sound to me like a condescending shot at all, just a statement of fact.  They were pointing out why good things have started happening for OKC because of MAPS.  If anything I am sure many Tulsans would agree with what was said. OKC has stepped up to the bat and done what we havent done,,,yet. And what he quoted the mayor as saying was perfectly true. I bet she was happy for him to say it for it underlines many of her pushes to try and get the ball rolling for new hotel development in downtown. (though we may disagree with her methods)

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
waterboy
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Waterboy, in truth - people complain that we don't need any government funded hotel space downtown.  I'm a huge fan of private hotels... but it is not the roll of government nor where I want my tax money.

As I have said before, nearly all of OKC top employers are governmental.  Tinker, the FAA, State Government, County, OU, OU Medical Center, The Federal Building (IRS, Postal, DOJ, etc.)... and on.  The recession in the early 2000's didn't hurt those jobs.  

OKC has played its cards very well to position itself as a mid-major "destination" city.  Conferences and events feel they can go to OKC and people will come because there are others things to do.  Tulsa would be wise to do something similar, but Tulsa is not OKC and needs to find its own way of accomplishing it.

So congrats to OKC for getting the conference, if nothing else it will save us some money when we send Kathy on her next vacation. [Wink]

Yeah, who pays for the hotel is another matter. Should be privately funded. Do you think this is an attempt to help Taylor get support for her programs by being taunted from OKC?
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 05:54:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

Alright Mr. Fox. You added the condescending tone to his voice. I don't think he changed his tone more than a 1/10 of a degree throughout the little speech.

I visited OKC forums for a while. I never saw the vitriol towards Tulsa that I see on this forum towards OKC. They were friendly and encouraging about Tulsa development though maybe not as sophisticated or informed. We make fun of Bricktown, the Oklahoma River and OKC's diminishing cowtown heritage as though it has no repercussions. Well it does. People there read too and they are quite proud of what they did and it surpasses our efforts so...payback's a *****.

Truth is, people complain on this very forum that we don't need any more hotel space downtown, that having a new hotel close to the Arena is not important because its so easy to get around here and on and on. Here is my perception: there is a better selection of government jobs there (no surprise being the capitol), the population is younger, there is more consensus among the population, people in smaller communities around the city are more likely to visit there downtown for entertainment, they are more aggressive in accepting different ideas and less likely to care what we think about them as they continue to prosper.

But I love Tulsa and can say those things with a clear conscience.

Agree to disagree on the tone.  The comparison, or mention of Tulsa was entirely unnecessary, unless Mr. Kelley was trying to inspire Tulsans to engage in some civic pride, and realize some visionary and historic projects of  our own.  I seriously doubt that, however, let me assure you, that I couldn't agree with his message more.  He is clearly correct in most every statement that he made, even the ones regarding Tulsa.  

We have miles to go before we sleep, for sure.  But we will get there.

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 06:38:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

You are aware that $20 million of the $40 million spent on the Skirvin was public money, right?
dsjeffries
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 11:38:28 pm »

I don't understand why people keep saying that Tulsa hasn't done anything to enhance our civic infrastructure, entertainment, etc., when we have.  We're only four years into Vision2025 and already things are already turning around--not only in downtown, but other areas of the city as well.

OKC passed the first MAPS in 1993--14 years ago--and is just now really beginning to reap the benefits from that, so don't dog Tulsa's efforts and don't forget Vision2025.

It takes time, and so far, it seems that Tulsa's developments are coming more quickly than those in OKC did/have.
waterboy
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 07:09:42 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DScott28604

I don't understand why people keep saying that Tulsa hasn't done anything to enhance our civic infrastructure, entertainment, etc., when we have.  We're only four years into Vision2025 and already things are already turning around--not only in downtown, but other areas of the city as well.

OKC passed the first MAPS in 1993--14 years ago--and is just now really beginning to reap the benefits from that, so don't dog Tulsa's efforts and don't forget Vision2025.

It takes time, and so far, it seems that Tulsa's developments are coming more quickly than those in OKC did/have.

Details! Details! Perhaps I'm too close to the forest to see such trees. Or perhaps our penchant for not recognizing reality and thus not acting to change it, is in play. No offense to you, just seems like there's plenty of cheerleading already.

OKC has been reaping benefit from MAPS 93 for quite some time now. Heck, they're on like phase 3 now. Historical museum is done, Bricktown, Oklahoma River with marina, the stadium and their arena are well established. Compare and contrast is not the same as criticizm. That's all that the speaker did.
NellieBly
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 08:32:26 am »

Can't blame OKC for gloating -- for years and years, Tulsans have looked down their noses at OKC.
AMP
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 08:33:18 am »

Perhaps the part of the lacking Tulsa Hotel/Motel rooms in the  article was by design, to help the City Hall Move into their new choice of location.  

Just more paid propaganda to help with the move.  

Doen't the City of Tulsa have a Public Relations firm handling their affairs?
MichaelC
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 08:36:50 am »

quote:
Originally posted by NellieBly

Can't blame OKC for gloating -- for years and years, Tulsans have looked down their noses at OKC.

I still do.

Tulsa rules!  OKC drools!
Chicken Little
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 09:11:46 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DScott28604

Yeah, but MAPS has spent money on neighborhood projects and schools all over town.  They are working on the whole city; and they are seeing new private investments in several parts of town.  V2025 was basically just an arena and convention center.  And "spinoff" from the arena was just an unplanned afterthought that our city fathers are still scrambling to understand.  In that sense, the arena can't even be counted as a "downtown" project.  When it was proposed, it was simply a new toy for the Chamber.  Credit to those who are trying to make something more out of it now, but it doesn't excuse the uninspired upfront thinking.

I'd say that the bond issues are different animals entirely.  And that OKC has been making the better choices.  I'm no fan of the place, but they are working smarter and harder than Tulsa.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org