A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 11:15:24 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio and Media  (Read 6439 times)
mr.jaynes
« on: July 05, 2007, 12:38:20 pm »

To follow up on a point I made earlier concerning Media Consolidation as broadening a prior discussion on radio, I came across an article on the net about how radio is run these days, the monopolies, the then vs. now. And perhaps the trends spoken of in the article may shed some light upon why other areas of media leave much to be desired.

The following was written by a former WTIX DJ out of New Orleans, and should you think this is a regional issue, think again.

http://www.walkerpub.com/radio_consultants.html#anchor5187099

My take on this is that before the companies like Entercom or Clear Channel took it over, there was a certain degree of autonomy, uniqueness and local feel to radio and media in general. Bring in consultants and monopolies, and watch it go downhill.

Discuss.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 02:13:48 pm »

Tulsa's radio spectrum is boring.  Your choices are limited to rock, classic rock, top forty, hip hop, and both country AND western.  The same playlists scroll endlessly, year after year.  The Rogers State station is one exception.  I don't always like what they play, but it's refreshing to encounter a station that's nearly public access.  

Satellite radio may offer more diversity.  I don't know because I don't have one - yet.

Also, the FCC proposed micro FM stations some time ago.  I don't know if that idea met formal approval.  The plan would allow very low power FM broadcasting that could cover a neighborhood.  The big broadcasters opposed it, citing interference issues, but I suspect part of it was they were afraid of losing market share.  Regardless, even a micro station would be a hungry, content monster.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:19:42 pm »

Internet Radio in the car is an upcoming ability that will change the radio market. Unlimited radio stations.

Of course, The label big wigs are trying to shut down internet radio right now and may succeed this month.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 02:26:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Internet Radio in the car is an upcoming ability that will change the radio market. Unlimited radio stations.

Of course, The label big wigs are trying to shut down internet radio right now and may succeed this month.
Internet radio's future is a bit uncertain.
http://www.savenetradio.org/
mr.jaynes
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 03:03:46 pm »

My mind goes back to my childhood and teen years in the Tulsa area, and of the radio stations KELI (that's 1430AM as well as its 1980s sister station 92K), KMOD, KAYI (K107) and KMYZ.

KELI in the 1970s played just the right mix of rock, top 40 and disco in just the right amounts; 92K played the right mix of rock and top 40. KMOD was always rock, but often unpredictable; it would play the rock hits, but sometimes go off the beaten path and try a few obscurities. KMYZ had a good mix of classic rock, rock and top 40, while K107 played only the current rock and pop hits-of which there was much variety. Radio had something for everyone.

And this seemed to be the pattern in many markets, not just in Tulsa or even in New Orleans. The radio stations were very much a product of their locality, refvlecting and catering to local tastes. There was obviously some autonomy with these stations that allwoed for some exploration and experimentation; they apparently assembled their own playlists and built their audiences over time.

I'm not slamming free enterprise, but once the big corporations and consultants got into the act, the local feel and the variety went out the window. Go ahead, click on the link-it'll make the point even better.
AMP
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 09:00:36 pm »

Radio used to be a good buy for advertising our events.  But today with over 30 stations in every market, you cannot own the media like back when there was KELI, KAKC, KVOO and KRMG.  

Takes around $50K in Tulsa and over $90K in OKC for a 6 day run just to be heard today.

Newspaper is even worse for us.

Best I have found is direct mail, and Internet forums and direct email.  Plus I use a service that broadcasts mass text messages to specific cell numbers of our participants and those interested in knowing of events, cancelations and changes.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 07:43:15 am »

Seems to be the direction of everything these days.  Large, broad and generalized, or small, targeted and specialized.  

Check out your local magazine rack. You used to not have the selection you can find today. Now you have the large general magazines like "Time" and all kinds of niche ones like "skateboarders with big hair" or whatever lol. Same thing with local newspapers. We now have one large rag and lots of small niche ones. Same with many types of products. You can try to sell to everyone and compete with the big companies or you can make things that are custom and specific to each customer. General every day merchandise or high quality and handmade.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
billintulsa
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 09:08:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mr.jaynes

To follow up on a point I made earlier concerning Media Consolidation as broadening a prior discussion on radio, I came across an article on the net about how radio is run these days, the monopolies, the then vs. now. And perhaps the trends spoken of in the article may shed some light upon why other areas of media leave much to be desired.

The following was written by a former WTIX DJ out of New Orleans, and should you think this is a regional issue, think again.

http://www.walkerpub.com/radio_consultants.html#anchor5187099

My take on this is that before the companies like Entercom or Clear Channel took it over, there was a certain degree of autonomy, uniqueness and local feel to radio and media in general. Bring in consultants and monopolies, and watch it go downhill.

Discuss.

I read that report non-stop (save for a few breaks I took to turn cartwheels in delight of what I was reading).

I spent more than 25 years in radio and am very proud to say that my first job was at KAKC AM 970 "back in the day."  I remember visiting friends of mine who were working shifts at the flying saucer on the fairgrounds (KELI) and occasionally riding the elevator to the top of Liberty Towers to visit with some buds at KRMG.  

But this was back when radio was still mostly locally owned and operated.  We knew who the broadcasters were because they were neighbors, not people recording their bits in their bedrooms using a computer.

Local radio was just that: local.  Now it's as local as WalMart; a large corporation with a sterile sound and even more antiseptic appearance.

I encourage everyone to read the comments made on the link Mr. Jaynes provided and, if you feel so inclined, follow the advice at the end of the post.  Remaining inactive will only result in the same.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 01:32:24 pm »

The other point to make is when a station changes its format, or merely rearranges its programming. Again, this has less to do with community tastes and more to do with corporate fiat and dictate.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 01:43:25 pm »

I'm too old for music anymore. I like Tulsa's talk radio stations, KRMG 740 and 1170 am. I like Gwen Freeman's morn radio show. The music stations are just the same old songs over & over, I switched to something new talk radio.[Smiley]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
mr.jaynes
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 03:16:35 pm »

1170, isn't that KVOO?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 03:27:42 pm »

quote:

1170, isn't that KVOO?

Not anymore.

They changed formats. The new format is pretty ground breaking. It’s all Anti-Immigration, all the time. Riveting stuff.

I have been having a little fun with 1170 driving to work in the mornings. I’ll tune there when I get in my car and stay on 1170 until I hear the words Illegal or Immigrant and then switch the station to something else. My over/under is about 15 seconds.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 03:30:49 pm »

Whoulda thought that getting rid of Michael Del Whacko wouldn't be an improvement for KFAQ?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
mr.jaynes
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 12:30:35 am »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

quote:

1170, isn't that KVOO?

Not anymore.

They changed formats. The new format is pretty ground breaking. It’s all Anti-Immigration, all the time. Riveting stuff.

I have been having a little fun with 1170 driving to work in the mornings. I’ll tune there when I get in my car and stay on 1170 until I hear the words Illegal or Immigrant and then switch the station to something else. My over/under is about 15 seconds.

So they are not Big Country Radio anymore?
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 10:35:59 am »

quote:

1170, isn't that KVOO?

It's something else now,(1170)- I forgot the call letters. it's a radio talk show station. I'm a big fan of Gwen Freeman I got to see her in person this spring when I was in Tulsa, she's a sweet little thing and stands 5'3" or something like that. She was at a shopping center in BA by the Wal-Mart on 71st street. I agree with much of Gwen's point of view. She has a very intresting local radio talk show. She took over that radio show form some guy who moved to Nashville, TN. I think Gwen is a better host than he was.[Smiley]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org