A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 01:33:58 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 Wonders of Tulsa  (Read 26372 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2007, 10:23:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

I saw it in Sand Springs today.

So, no. Tulsa isn't the only one.

Sand Springs is in Tulsa County.

Power is nothing till you use it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2007, 07:40:04 am »

It is a "Tulsa thing"
http://upwithtrees.org/

Go forth and volunteer.
- - -

The state can discriminate against homosexuals as it sees fit.  They are not a protected class.  So if ORU was getting state aid, no problem.  Don't forget, the state passed an amendment in essence approving of discrimination against homosexuals and most Oklahoman's would probably agree with overt discrimination.
- - -

Went to the Center of the Universe last night.  Smiley

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2007, 08:31:04 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

quote:
Originally posted by restored2x
I guess that whole "tolerance" thing doesn't include people I differ with on matters of faith - especially if they are easy targets.

I can tolerate many things, but hijacking religion for personal gain is something I just can't accept.

That is a judgment call. You don't believe he saw a 900-foot Jesus, or that God spoke to him and told him he would die if he didn't finish the work he was born to do - so you make fun of him. Ridiculing someone because of their religious beliefs is intolerance at best, hate and bigotry at worst.

I truly believe that the man (deluded or not is not for me to decide or judge) believed in what he was doing. I don't believe it was contrived, or that he was manipulating for personal gain. This may be a case of personal pentecostal theology gone awry - but that is my own opinion.

I didn't give any money to any of the ORU projects, I am not a graduate. None of my family works there. I have no personal or emotional investment in Oral or the University. I just think that the man Oral Roberts and what he has done here in Tulsa is amazing.

Whether he ripped people off is between him, the people he allegedly ripped off, and God. It is not for me to judge.

Rejecting the "wonder" of ORU based on my own religious bigotry is like saying the Mormon Tabernacle sucks because I don't like Mormons or don't agree with their theology. The Tabernacle is still beautiful.

The pyramids of Egypt were also built around crazy beliefs about God, the afterlife, etc. They were built by forced labor - slaves. Yet, they are still a marvel.

ORU is a beautiful campus. It is an attraction for Tulsa. It has brought in millions of dollars (and a Walmart). The buildings are cool-looking and clean. Many people who call themselves Tulsans are here because of the University. Why disparage all that because we don't like the guy, or the guy's methods, or his theology?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2007, 08:48:01 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Whoa!  Serious Conan?

The center of the universe rules.  You MUST go there.  Well, it really isnt THAT cool.  That's why it has to be coupled with something else.  It would make a pretty poor destination unto itself because after about 5 minutes of "cool" that's about it.

Still, way cool.  

And now we can add the Jazz Hall of Fame coupled with some drinks in Brady/Blue Dome AND the Center of the Universe.

Yep, serious.

I'm going down there after I go to Arnies the next time to have a few.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dsjeffries
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2007, 10:41:25 am »

quote:

The state can discriminate against homosexuals as it sees fit.  They are not a protected class.

Yes, huh:
In the federal government the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 (CSRA), as amended, prohibits federal employees who have authority to take, direct others to take, recommend or approve any personnel action from discriminating against applicants and employees on the bases of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status or political affiliation and from discriminating against an applicant or employee on the basis of conduct which does not adversely affect the performance of the applicant or employee. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has interpreted the prohibition of discrimination based on "conduct" to include discrimination based on sexual orientation. See Addressing Sexual Orientation Discrimination in Federal Civilian Employment at http://www.opm.gov/er/address2/guide01.htm.

Executive Order 13152, also amending Executive Order 11478, was signed on May 2, 2000, to provide for a uniform policy for the federal government to prohibit discrimination based on an individual's status as a parent. Executive Order 11478 section 1 now reads:

It is the policy of the government of the United States to provide equal opportunity in federal employment for all persons, to prohibit discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap, age, sexual orientation or status as a parent, and to promote the full realization of equal employment opportunity through a continuing affirmative program in each executive department and agency. This policy of equal opportunity applies to and must be an integral part of every aspect of personnel policy and practice in the employment, development, advancement, and treatment of civilian employees of the federal government, to the extent permitted by law.

I realize those are federal regulations, not state... but protected at some level, yes.
Aa5drvr
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2007, 03:33:59 am »

ZINGO!  

woops
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2007, 08:23:37 am »

Ouch AA.  good one.  I did very much enjoy seeing the old coaster there and hearing the whoops and hollers as I was at my buddies nearby.  Still think that was a bad move.

Another example of the city acting without a complete plan.

Step 1: tear down Zingo
Step 2: ?
Step 3: profit!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2007, 12:13:06 pm »

The TV news program last night had an advisor clip telling those to travel Europe should convert the dollars to euros’ prior to going as the floating dollar is deprecating so rapid that by the time one visits there it may have less value.

For a simple man who had the faith in his creation, the complex at 81st and Lewis, regardless of his faith, should be entitled to a place among 7 wonders of Tulsa.  Especially among those who mind cannot comprehend space without boundaries nor a universe with trillions of balls of matter formed in solar systems.   Big bang where?      

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2007, 12:34:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by shadows

The TV news program last night had an advisor clip telling those to travel Europe should convert the dollars to euros’ prior to going as the floating dollar is deprecating so rapid that by the time one visits there it may have less value.

The Dollar is down 5% against the Euro so far this year.  In the last month it is devalued 1%.  Not exactly a cataclysmic drop.  Presuming the average international traveler exchanges $2500 or so (plane tickets already purchased) they would have saved $25 having exchanged a month ago.  They would have lost ~$20 of investment income having done so.  So a net cost of $5.  not a great gain considering they could have easily lost money on the venture.

In any event, 5% in 6 months is significant... but not "so rapid."  Not to mention, the EURO floats too.  As does every other major currency in the world that is NOT PEGGED to the dollar (which makes them floating in reference to world currencies).  You cannot hate floating currencies and then lament on how great the Euro is doing.

quote:

For a simple man who had the faith in his creation, the complex at 81st and Lewis, regardless of his faith, should be entitled a place among 7 wonders of Tulsa.  Especially among those who mind cannot comprehend space without boundaries nor a universe with trillions of balls of matter formed in solar systems.   Big bang where?      

Are you attempted to start a debate in astrophysics?  If so, I subscribe to the Stephen Hawking theory of an expanding/contracting universe as explained in "A Short History of Time," which is in conformity to the laws of thermodynamics in explaining the increasing and decreasing densities of matter. I would be happy to go over some of the finer points with you if you so choose.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2007, 04:02:44 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

quote:
I guess that whole "tolerance" thing doesn't include people I differ with on matters of faith - especially if they are easy targets.

I can tolerate many things, but hijacking religion for personal gain is something I just can't accept.

That is a judgment call. You don't believe he saw a 900-foot Jesus, or that God spoke to him and told him he would die if he didn't finish the work he was born to do - so you make fun of him. Ridiculing someone because of their religious beliefs is intolerance at best, hate and bigotry at worst.

I truly believe that the man (deluded or not is not for me to decide or judge) believed in what he was doing. I don't believe it was contrived, or that he was manipulating for personal gain. This may be a case of personal pentecostal theology gone awry - but that is my own opinion.

I didn't give any money to any of the ORU projects, I am not a graduate. None of my family works there. I have no personal or emotional investment in Oral or the University. I just think that the man Oral Roberts and what he has done here in Tulsa is amazing.

Whether he ripped people off is between him, the people he allegedly ripped off, and God. It is not for me to judge.

Rejecting the "wonder" of ORU based on my own religious bigotry is like saying the Mormon Tabernacle sucks because I don't like Mormons or don't agree with their theology. The Tabernacle is still beautiful.

The pyramids of Egypt were also built around crazy beliefs about God, the afterlife, etc. They were built by forced labor - slaves. Yet, they are still a marvel.

ORU is a beautiful campus. It is an attraction for Tulsa. It has brought in millions of dollars (and a Walmart). The buildings are cool-looking and clean. Many people who call themselves Tulsans are here because of the University. Why disparage all that because we don't like the guy, or the guy's methods, or his theology?

Well, now that you mention it, I don't personally care for the man nor his methods nor his interpretation of theology, and his taste in architecture does leave just as much to be deired.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2007, 10:49:10 am »

quote:

Ouch AA.  good one.  I did very much enjoy seeing the old coaster there and hearing the whoops and hollers as I was at my buddies nearby.  Still think that was a bad move.

Another example of the city acting without a complete plan.

Step 1: tear down Zingo
Step 2: ?
Step 3: profit!

Again, that was NOT the city.

That was Randi Miller and Co.
Aa5drvr
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2007, 07:04:35 pm »

>>Again, that was NOT the city.

>>That was Randi Miller and Co.

Thats like making a comparison between two types of rats.  They are all still rodents.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2007, 08:14:23 am »

I'm willing to bet the city could have done SOMETHING if they had the inclination. It may not have been a deciding factor, but at least some pressure or a statement of support or something.  Also, I understand that it was the counties right to do so...

Just saying I'm tired of seeing action without a plan.

Step 1:  Move City Hall
Step 2: Find tenants, someone to use the old city hall building, hope our projections hold up and find a way to raise $70,000,000.00
Step 3; Profit!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2007, 08:35:25 am »

quote:

I'm willing to bet the city could have done SOMETHING if they had the inclination. It may not have been a deciding factor, but at least some pressure or a statement of support or something.  Also, I understand that it was the counties right to do so...

Just saying I'm tired of seeing action without a plan.

What exactly could the city have done?

Bells was not even IN the city of Tulsa. What exact influence do you think the city would have been able to exert on land outside the city limits and owned by the county?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2007, 09:00:50 am »

At very least, they could have made a statement that Bell's was a historic landmark within the city of Tulsa and they regretted that the situation could not have been resolved.  That would have been *something* that could have been done.  

You would think the city is smart enough to realize that most people don't care WHO is doing it, but realize it is being done in Tulsa and will blame the city.  I imagine they have some strings they can pull with the county.

Again... I'm not saying giving Bells the boot was the wrong decision. I'm just saying doing so without a plan was stupid and thus far has resulted in an ugly mess, the loss of revenue, the loss of an attraction, and the county helping to pay for Robbie's breach of contract.  Great plan.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org