A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 10:13:09 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 Wonders of Tulsa  (Read 26320 times)
shadows
City Father

« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2007, 01:38:19 pm »

CF quoted:
Are you attempted to start a debate in astrophysics? If so, I subscribe to the Stephen Hawking theory of an expanding/contracting universe as explained in "A Short History of Time," which is in conformity to the laws of thermodynamics in explaining the increasing and decreasing densities of matter. I would be happy to go over some of the finer points with you if you so choose.
-------------------------------------------------------------

The writing of Stephen Hawking, based on the theories of Einstein, do not establish the parameters that are acceptable to the human brain in establishing the limits of space.   Also the concept of the theory of the black hole would leave one to ponder on  thinking that such black holes have defined retracting parameters.  When accepting the black hold theory we have no choice than to believe that all events on earth are recorded in what we call light waves and are moving away into space at the unproven speed of light.  If such be true then with the present technology, if we could exceed the speed of light, we could capture those events as we regress into the past.  [Buck Rogers/Star Track]

Also that if all matter is held together by a resident frequency which determines the strength against its invasion and determining the pull of gravity on the matter which we determine as weight, they can be countered by centrifugal forces.   India‘s book of the dead, when Egypt was a colony of India, speaks of striking the great stones in building the pyramids and moving them the length of a bow shot.

We are guest of the Tulsa Now Forms and the challenge to debate such issues that has been cited, would not fall within the guidelines they have established, as these are  based on speculation that this race will become immortal with the aging factor becoming extinct.  Other than that, we return to organic matter and debate that we are not products of evolution or intelligent design and escape the ire of the administrators of the form.          

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2007, 02:26:27 pm »

Well, I applaud your attempt Shadow!  But I have to take issue with several points:

- Pretty much all theoretical physics is based on Einstein, so you cannot fault Hawking for following his theories.

- Hawking's book goes to great lengths to attempt and explain his theories so that an "average learned man" can follow what he is talking about.  I grant you it must be read with a careful eye and much repeating to grasp the concepts (more studying than reading!), but it is not beyond most people.

- Black Holes are a little more than a theory.  There is significant evidence that such things exist with gravitational forces great enough to greatly bend light as it passes near.

- The speed of light is not theoretical, it is
299,792,458 metres per second (186,282.397 miles per second or 670,616,629.2 mph).  This knowledge is what allows us to make laser measurements.

- Physics suggests that nothing can go faster than the speed of light.  As one approaches the speed of  light the energy required to accelerate increases exponentially (E= MC^2).  Thus, to accelerate mass past the speed of light would require infinite energy.  Thermodynamics tells us that is not possible.

- The light waves you refer to are not time itself.  They would merely contain a record of things that have already happened.   Thus, if one COULD travel faster than the speed of light (which one can not) you would be able to view past events but not interact with them.  It would be the galactic equivalent of a movie.

- I cited Hawking, you cited Buck Rogers.  [Wink]

-
quote:
Also that if all matter is held together by a resident frequency which determines the strength against its invasion and determining the pull of gravity on the matter which we determine as weight, they can be countered by centrifugal forces.

I'm afraid I do not understand what you are talking about here.  My ignorance perhaps.  As I understand it, Physics and Chemistry describe the connection of matter as minute electrical bonds though the difference between physics and quantum physics still seeks a unifying theory.  If centrifugal forces could break this bomb, a stone swung on the end of a string could be a nuclear weapon.

-
quote:
would not fall within the guidelines they have established, as these are based on speculation that this race will become immortal with the aging factor becoming extinct

its a hit, there she goes... way off in left field.  You just confused me with this one.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2007, 02:44:26 pm »

Gravity is not just a good idea, it's the law.

Power is nothing till you use it.
waterboy
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »

Are you familiar with an astronomer by the name of Jacobs? Saw him on the RSC channel with his "street astronomy" bit where he sets up a telescope on the streets of a major city and invites people to see the moon and stars up close.

Anyway, he challenges Hawking and the big bang theory as he sees it changing physics to fit a model rather than vice versa as was done in the past. Made some really strong statements. Admittedly, though fascinated, I was left floundering in water over my head. His strongest remark was that the big bang relies on the universe being created from nothing. However, physics simply has no way of creating something from nothing.

He also asserts that the universe is neither expanding or contracting, rather it is static. It appears as to be expanding/contracting because of our position within the universe. Like hearing the siren on an ambulance increase/decrease as it passes by you, yet the reality is that the siren never really changed pitch.

Anyone know about this guy?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2007, 08:15:37 am »

I'm afraid I do not know about him Waterboy.  Keep in mind, this really is not my field.  I have flirted with it out of curiosity, but really I had to try hard to truly understand one theory on the topic.  So i am not in a position to intelligently dispute another expert theory.

That said... it is my understanding that the big band does not try to explain WHERE the matter for the universe comes from (it follows thermodynamics, which basically says there is a finite amount of energy.  It can change forms (matter, light, sound, heat...) but you can not get more of it.  

Hawking basically explains the big band as all matter was in a single point infinitely small and infinitely dense (gravity is a snowballing effect, as more matter joins it gets stronger, denser, and has more gravity).  Upon reaching this point of infinite density, it becomes unstable and explodes.  The universe expands from this point in a circle.  As it does so the gravity of the matter in all directions acts upon each other and slows the expansion.  Until it stops, and begins retracting... until the matter becomes infinitely small and infinitely dense.

There you have it.  A 350 word assessment of thermodynamics and the big band theory.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2007, 03:08:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Gravity is not just a good idea, it's the law.

Yep! Gravity like city hall attracts and has a hold on even many of our species.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2007, 03:13:02 pm »

For a brief instance I thought you said "many of our spices."  At which point, in that fleeting instance, I wasn't sure if you were certifiably mad or if it was some brilliant Dune reference. Then I realized you said "species," and I remain confused.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2007, 03:22:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

For a brief instance I thought you said "many of our spices."  At which point, in that fleeting instance, I wasn't sure if you were certifiably mad or if it was some brilliant Dune reference. Then I realized you said "species," and I remain confused.

Species:  “Group having common appearance.”

Just  being  kind.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org