A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 05:18:06 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OU scientists make possible HIV breakthrough  (Read 4158 times)
perspicuity85
« on: July 10, 2007, 01:51:48 am »

From Tulsa World, 7/9/07

If this turns out to be a major breakthrough, it could add a lot of value to an OU medical degree.

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:20:25 am »

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

it could add a lot of value to an OU medical degree.

huh? because they aren't worth much now??? and doctors who went there could start charging more because of this discovery? i don't get...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 06:22:28 am »

Sounds like it is still a long ways off but this new method of attacking HIV might be the way to go. Maybe they can later adapt it to fight the cold and flu viruses too.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 07:31:05 am »

Well, I hope this comes through.  Scientific research is one area where I approve of governmental funding.  Even if there is not money in it, there might be social value to the technology.

I don't know how much value it will add, after all - what do you call a doctor that graduates last in his class?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 07:34:01 am »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

quote:

it could add a lot of value to an OU medical degree.

huh? because they aren't worth much now??? and doctor's who went there could start charging more because of this discovery? i don't get...

Pshaw!  Hell yes.  Personally, I am willing to pay more for an OU educated doctor.  

Truthfully, I really believe that the biggest beneficary of this will be Bob Stoops.  What recruit wouldn't want to go to a school that found a vaccine for AIDS? BOOMER SOONER BABY! # Eight in '08!

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 08:26:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I don't know how much value it will add, after all - what do you call a doctor that graduates last in his class?

last in his class? high school class? DO? [Tongue]

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 08:27:51 am »

quote:

last in his class? high school class? D.O.? [Tongue]

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 08:45:18 am »

A doctor who graduates last in his class is called - doctor.

It doesn't matter.  The guild is strong enough every graduate is guaranteed a job starting around $100K.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 09:59:19 am »

quote:

It doesn't matter.  The guild is strong enough every graduate is guaranteed a job starting around $100K.

i know the joke... i was adding to it...

waterboy
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 08:54:16 pm »

quote:

And the lawyer who graduates last in his class??
(Your honor?)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 08:41:50 am »

A lawyer who graduates in the bottom HALF is called unemployed.  Especially in this town.  Anyone that harbors the illusion that a young attorney makes any money in Tulsa either knows someone working for a very small handful of firms (Hall Estell, Conner Winters, Doworts...) or doesn't know any.

poor me.  poor, poor me.  [Tongue]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 01:24:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Sounds like it is still a long ways off but this new method of attacking HIV might be the way to go. Maybe they can later adapt it to fight the cold and flu viruses too.

It's definitely something to bring hope to those with HIV and even those with full-blown AIDS. I will follow this development, as it is a disease that has hit home for me-not only with a few of my friends and colleagues, but also a beloved uncle of mine.
perspicuity85
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 01:20:04 pm »

quote:

What do you call a Harvard MBA student that graduates last in his class?

Mr. President!!
perspicuity85
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 01:26:57 pm »

quote:

huh? because they aren't worth much now??? and doctors who went there could start charging more because of this discovery? i don't get...

I was thinking from the marketing standpoint of OU's medical school.  Johns Hopkins, for example, charges significantly more for medical school tuition than a school like OU because a Johns Hopkins medical degree carries with it a lot of value in terms of brand equity.  If OU becomes known as a leader in the field of HIV research, than the value of an OU medical degree will possibly increase in the minds of prospective students and employers of OU doctors.

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 02:36:09 pm »

quote:

quote:

I was thinking from the marketing standpoint of OU's medical school.  Johns Hopkins, for example, charges significantly more for medical school tuition than a school like OU because a Johns Hopkins medical degree carries with it a lot of value in terms of brand equity.  If OU becomes known as a leader in the field of HIV research, than the value of an OU medical degree will possibly increase in the minds of prospective students and employers of OU doctors.

ummmmm, in short, no.

i know what you were thinking and as far as a potential PR boost for OU, you are correct it would be one.

but your understanding of the economics of physician salaries/reimbursement is completely wrong. physician salaries/income vary with regards to board certification, specialty, procedures performed, region, managerial duties and academic appointments. where they went to med school and residency has little, if anything, to do with the amount of money a physician might make.

oh yeah, hopkins only costs more because it is private and only because there is no in-state discount. ou is actually more expensive than hopkins if you were not an oklahoma resident. now, granted, hopkins is far more selective but that really was not your point.

OU Med School-

Fall 2006 Admissions Statistics
Acceptance rate: 19.6%
Average MCAT score (composite): 9.5

2006-2007 Expenses
In-State Tuition: $15,746
Out-of-State Tuition: $38,276
Required fees: $3,500
Room and board: $17,416

Johns Hopkins Med School-

Fall 2006 Admissions Statistics
Acceptance rate: 6.2%
Average MCAT score (composite): 11.6

2006-2007 Expenses
Tuition: $34,000
Required fees: $3,515
Room and board: $12,818

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org