A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 03:30:27 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OU scientists make possible HIV breakthrough  (Read 4150 times)
perspicuity85
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 12:57:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper
but your understanding of the economics of physician salaries/reimbursement is completely wrong. physician salaries/income vary with regards to board certification, specialty, procedures performed, region, managerial duties and academic appointments. where they went to med school and residency has little, if anything, to do with the amount of money a physician might make.

That was not my point.  Obviously a board certified neurosurgeon will usually make more than a pediatrician, no matter where each doctor went to school.  All I was saying is that a national PR boost would possibly give OU's medical school a higher brand equity, in the mind of a prospective student, or maybe an employer, depending on the circumstances.  For example, if the CDC wanted to comission researchers to study HIV infections, perhaps they would hire students from a medical school that is known for conducting HIV research.  Johns Hopkins, for example, carries a prestige status among common US citizens as a place that produces some of our most elite physicians.
Universities' brand equity is typically the basis for justification of tuition hikes and expanded services.  Another example: A degree from flagship, or major-conference state schools    generally has a higher prestige status than a degree from regional universities.  You're right about one thing, most of the time employers don't care where someone's degree came from, but that's not what colleges tell prospective students and incoming freshmen.  

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 02:06:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper
but your understanding of the economics of physician salaries/reimbursement is completely wrong. physician salaries/income vary with regards to board certification, specialty, procedures performed, region, managerial duties and academic appointments. where they went to med school and residency has little, if anything, to do with the amount of money a physician might make.

That was not my point.  Obviously a board certified neurosurgeon will usually make more than a pediatrician, no matter where each doctor went to school.  All I was saying is that a national PR boost would possibly give OU's medical school a higher brand equity, in the mind of a prospective student, or maybe an employer, depending on the circumstances.  For example, if the CDC wanted to comission researchers to study HIV infections, perhaps they would hire students from a medical school that is known for conducting HIV research.  Johns Hopkins, for example, carries a prestige status among common US citizens as a place that produces some of our most elite physicians.
Universities' brand equity is typically the basis for justification of tuition hikes and expanded services.  Another example: A degree from flagship, or major-conference state schools    generally has a higher prestige status than a degree from regional universities.  You're right about one thing, most of the time employers don't care where someone's degree came from, but that's not what colleges tell prospective students and incoming freshmen.  

quote:
That was not my point.

you said "employers" and i pointed out that most employer's still won't care where a doctor got his MD, employers will look at training programs...

quote:
For example, if the CDC wanted to comission researchers to study HIV infections, perhaps they would hire students from a medical school that is known for conducting HIV research.  

the cdc gives two ****s about where candidate went to medical school, they do care about what research an individual md/phd student might have done but not where and that is not what you said...
quote:
Johns Hopkins, for example, carries a prestige status among common US citizens as a place that produces some of our most elite physicians.

your analogies are all muddled by the fact that a physician's residency program tends to be more of a gold standard for comparing physicians than where they went to med school and certainly, undergrad...
quote:
You're right about one thing, most of the time employers don't care where someone's degree came from, but that's not what colleges tell prospective students and incoming freshmen.  

i'm right about a lot of things... hopkins is still not more expensive than ou out-of-state tuition... and one discovery, major or not, will have little bearing on the "value to an OU medical degree"... if your were trying to argue that their phd virology/imunology candidates might be more appealing upon matriculation, i'd give you that... but an to think this finding might "add a lot of value to an OU medical degree" is silly...

to be clear, that article referenced PHD bench work by some really impressive guys... but they are PHD's doing real research... their contact with med students is cursory... most MDs, unless they are MD/PHDs, never get near a lab...

you could have said...
If this turns out to be a major breakthrough, it could be a great PR boost for the OU Health Sciences Center.
or
If this turns out to be a major breakthrough, it could add some value to an OU virology/microbology/immunology PHD degree.

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
perspicuity85
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 04:21:27 pm »

Looks like someone loves hairsplitting, Brunoflipper.  There are some medical facilities that hire on a very competitive basis, and depending on the specificity of your education, you may have a greater chance of getting a job, at least in the mind of prospective students.  There are many students that choose where to go to college based on the perceived value,  in their mind, of the degree they will obtain.  It's marketing 101, agree to disagree.  And by the way, Hillcrest was never non-profit, it was not-for-profit.  There's a difference.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org