A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 11:24:11 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verizon layoffs  (Read 5935 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: July 13, 2007, 10:25:49 am »

More layoffs today.

Does anyone know if Verizon is paying the fines for not increasing the workforce here in Tulsa?

Part of the settlement from Worldcom days.
Mike 01Hawk
Civic Leader

Peace be with you

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:12:34 am »

News to me, we're hiring left and right though (the same peeps that were let go years ago).

And yeah, there was an article in the TW a while back, about Verizon paying the bill IIRC.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 11:54:03 am »

Yeah they are paying the settlement but it was relatively small.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 12:36:49 pm »

The layoffs have apparently not hit the news wire yet.  At least not in so much as it mentions Verizon, Layoffs, and Tulsa in the same story.

Related note:  Verizon is expanding their Tulsa network like mad.  Adding some 70 towers within a year (been working on it for 6 months already).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Mike 01Hawk
Civic Leader

Peace be with you

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 01:05:07 pm »

They're also getting big into offshore Sad
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 04:05:22 pm »

Got buddies in Buenos Aires and Manila prepping for all that offshore gig.
Rowdy
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 08:33:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

The layoffs have apparently not hit the news wire yet.  At least not in so much as it mentions Verizon, Layoffs, and Tulsa in the same story.

Related note:  Verizon is expanding their Tulsa network like mad.  Adding some 70 towers within a year (been working on it for 6 months already).

You mean Verizon Wireless. Actually, there have been towers up since last year and the number of towers here goes well over 70.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:16:25 am »

Yep, that's why I said "adding" some 70 towers.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Rowdy
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 09:06:47 am »

quote:

The number is still higher than that.
USRufnex
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 01:35:08 pm »

We probably need to differentiate Verizon Communications/Verizon Business (wireline) from Verizon Wireless.

Verizon is a baby-bell-transformer... made up of most of the northeastern baby bells and GTE... their purchase of MCI was probably a big deal for them to keep them up to speed with SBC (AT&T) and expand their footprint from the northeast... Verizon's workforce, mostly from  the northeast, is largely unionized (CWA)...

Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon (55%) & Britain's Vodaphone (45% stake)... after the Cingular/AT&T merger, VZW slipped to 2nd in the number of wireless customers although I think there's an office pool there wagering on the date VZW actually overtakes AT&T in number of wireless subscribers... Verizon Wireless's workers are 99% non-union (my estimate)... you can purchase stock in Verizon and Vodaphone but not Verizon Wireless...

Verizon Wireless entered the Tulsa market last January... and they entered the market with high-speed wireless broadband EVDO towers.  With the addition of Tulsa, Verizon Wireless is in 99 of the nation's top 100 markets, the only market missing is down the turnpike in OKC.

At this time, there is no real connection between Verizon Wireless and Verizon Business.  They are completely separate.  Maybe someday there will be some sort of important working relationship, but none at the present.

The future of wireless and telecommunications in general is in data and "bundled" services.  Yet the only combination of landline/wireless Verizon offers is a OneBill program that doesn't offer much savings other than the cost of a stamp and the convenience of only writing one check.  The future of landline companies is in offering wireless and integrated services... the days of your old wireline home phone service are numbered and that market is dwindling with each passing year...

So far, Verizon, Verizon Business(formerly MCI) and Verizon Wireless have such a separate relationship that they don't yet compete with AT&T's DSL/landline/cellular packages the way they should.

Hopefully, any layoffs are temporary.  The sticking point is whether Verizon or Vodaphone purchases Verizon Wireless outright.  

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/idea-vodafone-verizon-merger-seen-facing/story.aspx?guid=%7BD3E22711-C34F-4CB0-BDA9-00A5D66A6772%7D

quote:

Vodaphone is under tremendous pressure to sell its lucrative stake in Verizon Wireless or find some way to derive value from its U.S. holding.

Aside from a small tax break, Vodafone no longer gets a steady cash benefit from its stake in Verizon Wireless. An annual dividend payment required by the original agreement seven years ago forming the joint wireless venture expired in 2006.

Just three years ago, the dividend payment to Vodafone exceeded $1 billion.

That means the U.K. wireless giant will mostly realize paper gains via the increasing market value of its stake - the main reason Vodafone has maintained the joint venture for so long. Vodafone cannot realize actual cash gains until it sells its U.S asset.

What's more, Vodafone has been conducting a regular review of its options regarding its stake in Verizon Wireless ahead of the expiration next month of a key clause in its original joint-venture agreement.

By Aug. 9, Vodafone has to decide whether to force Verizon Communications to buy up to $10 billion in Verizon Wireless shares now owned by the British mobile operator. It's the last time Vodafone can exercise the so-called "put" option that was included in the original joint-venture agreement.

DM
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 02:51:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rowdy

quote:

71 [Tongue]
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 02:55:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DM

quote:

quote:

71 [Tongue]

And everyone knows a 71 is a (cough) with two fingers up your (use your imagination)

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

71?  Did someone call me?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Rowdy
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 04:53:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DM

quote:

quote:

71 [Tongue]

Tell me how many towers you think they have so far and Ill tell you if you're close.
USRufnex
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 05:34:48 pm »

Dang, Rowdy....... bet your boss is a real slave-driver... that coverage map gets bigger every week.  

I'll start the bidding at 140... [Cheesy]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org