A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 01:28:08 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa to hire liaisons  (Read 2912 times)
DM
« on: July 16, 2007, 06:04:07 pm »

quote:
If you have a problem in your neighborhood, you could soon have a way to get it taken care of very quickly. The City of Tulsa has created a new department called 'Working In Neighborhoods'. There are more than three hundred neighborhood associations and now, they will all have a direct link to the City.

Link

quote:
For example, David wants a fence torn down. All he has to do is call the liaison and that person will see what can be done. Yet Another watch dog to add to David's pack, and he can't wait for it.  

In the video story it says his fence. So why does this guy think the city should pay to tear down his fence? Illegally parked cars? Dogs loose? Calling 3 to 4 times a week!! This sounds like he has way to much time on his hands. I would hate to live near this guy.

The liaison idea is good though IMO. I dont think they should be afraid to tell people like this guy to go away either.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:34 pm »

Dangerous Liaisons? I think something should be written into the contract for these positions requiring that they must live in the quadrant they are to represent during their employment.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
AMP
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:40:56 pm »

Actually having a Liaison that lives in a much better area of the city representing a problem area may be the correct formula.  Having a higher educated person that has lived in proper surroundings representing an area in disrepair may be a better answer.  Many times visitors from other villages can point out problems that those living in the area have grown to live with..

I read it as to "tear down A fence", not his fence.  In the video I watched I believe the reporter was meaning his fence he has questions regarding.  I believe that fence may belong to the shopping center to the East of the neighborhood or perhaps the property line right of way fence to the north, as shown in that video.  

Been my experience that if code enforcement cannot locate the legal property owner, or the property owner does not respond or remedy a code issue within a give time frame, then the City has the authority to move forward.  They can and hire an outside contractor or a City crew to perform the work, and then bill the property owner or place a mechanics type lien against their property.  Similar to the Camelot Inn deal.  

We had an office in that center.  There were numerous issues with parts of dead animals being disposed in trash dumpster from a market, illegal dumping of used grease into holes in the ground behind a restaurant, and theft of long distance service from another business tapping into our phone box outside the back of our offices.  There were several shootings and violent assaults that occurred in and around that shopping center the few years our offices were located there.  But nothing more than happens around where our offices are located now or have been.  Actually the downtown space is one of the worst ones for crime, vandalism and illegal dumping.  The Mid Town location ranked second with the East Tulsa location coming in third.  We never had any vehicles stolen from the East Tulsa location as we did from downtown and mid town.  And the East location was never burglarized.  Mid and downtown offices were more than once.    

The other right of way fences are now behind the Great Wall of Hwy I69 between Magic Circle and the Highway.

I have called emailed the City on several occasions over the past year.  Biggest problem we have around the office was gaping holes in the streets that were near to impassable, those have been repaired following a few phone calls,  emails and two personal visits.  

Other problems we deal with include missing trash cans that the City provides.  I am told thieves use the green plastic ones with the wheels to haul off stolen property with.

We have dozens of loose dogs and stray cats, not to mention human vagrants that are found sleeping on doorsteps and around buildings on an occasional morning.  Few dozen empty bottles of booze now and then and the occasional broken glass.

Abandoned stolen or otherwise vehicles is high on our problem list along with couples using the parking lots to take care of what ever seems to pop up.  As well as gun fire late at night. Plus drivers of cars leaping around on their front tires, playing either 110+ dB Rap Music or Circus tunes after midnight and racing up and down the streets. Last summer's two gang fights that erupted near our offices.   Other than that I have little to complain about.  

But I could write a book and provide photos and videos of dozens of code violations in a square block area of our offices.

Actually it sounds like an cool position to hold.  If it actually have some teeth to enforce what was reported and discovered and had the resources to address the problems, it would be an interesting job.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 07:49:10 pm »

Sorry, your city councilor is busy, please call your liaison.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:58:31 pm »

Yeah, my first response to this was, isn't that my councilors job? BTW, I wasn't saying that the liaisons should be hired from within the quadrants (though I don't think that is such a bad idea either), but that they should be required to live within those quadrants during their employment. If they have school age children they must also be required to have their children enrolled in public schools. If they want to be a professional government liaison for the community they should at least be part of the community.

<center>
</center>
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:19:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Yeah, my first response to this was, isn't that my councilors job? BTW, I wasn't saying that the liaisons should be hired from within the quadrants (though I don't think that is such a bad idea either), but that they should be required to live within those quadrants during their employment. If they have school age children they must also be required to have their children enrolled in public schools. If they want to be a professional government liaison for the community they should at least be part of the community.

People with kids in private school aren't part of the community of the city?

Schools are not part of city government in Oklahoma, so what if say, one of the liaisons had children in Union or Jenks schools?

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 10:00:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

People with kids in private school aren't part of the community of the city?

Schools are not part of city government in Oklahoma, so what if say, one of the liaisons had children in Union or Jenks schools?

Key word being GOVERNMENT liasons, last time I checked the government wasn't operating private schools, they operate public schools. A little reading comprehension goes a long way. You are right, the Mayor doesn't run the schools, but that didn't stop Kathy Taylor from pledging to improve our public schools. As far as Jenks or Union goes, if it is in the quadrant they represent, and it is the district they live in, then I don't have a problem with that. I think that people who are both personally and professionally invested in the quadrants they represent will produce better results for the city.

<center>
</center>
Wrinkle
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 10:13:49 pm »

Let's at least see these people for what they are...Kitty's personal paid campaigners, courtesy of Tulsans.

The ways this lady finds to spend [our] money is quite amazing. Almost as amazing as the ways she finds to obtain it.

The next time someone speaks of how broke we are, see if you can muster a laugh.

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 11:44:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

Let's at least see these people for what they are...Kitty's personal paid campaigners, courtesy of Tulsans.

That's how I see it. Hey Admin, shouldn't these posts be merged with the other thread, or have you been to busy scouring my posts looking for something to delete to notice? It seems we have a little duplication going on here.                                       http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7090

<center>
</center>
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org