News:

Long overdue maintenance happening. See post in the top forum.

Main Menu

Let's try a new way of discussing immigration..

Started by Admin, July 25, 2007, 09:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Since a related post went downhill fast, how about we try this another way.

The rules:
Each person can post what they believe to be the #1 problem related to immigration and immigration reform and follow it with their best idea of how to fix it. No negative replies allowed. Post your ideas and read the other suggestions. No name calling, arguing or bashing of other's suggestions. Just consider this the immigration version of 100ideasOK.

NellieBly

I'll start. The number one problem associated with immigration is ignorance.

Conan71

#1 problem?  No emphasis on securing and controlling the borders for the last 50 years.
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan

iplaw

My #1 issue is people who consider others that disagree with them about illegal immigration as somehow "ignorant."

Hometown

The number one problem with U.S. Immigration policy is allowing immigrants to retain citizenship in their birth country.  The U.S. should forbid dual citizenship because it creates divided loyalties.  To obtain U.S. citizenship an immigrant should renounce other citizenships.  Conversely, no U.S. citizen should be allowed to retain their U.S. citizenship after obtaining citizenship in another country.  I want U.S. citizens loyal to the U.S. period.  The policy of allowing dual citizenship has been harmful to the United States because it creates divided loyalty.

Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

The number one problem with U.S. Immigration policy is allowing immigrants to retain citizenship in their birth country.  The U.S. should forbid dual citizenship because it creates divided loyalties.  To obtain U.S. citizenship an immigrant should renounce other citizenships.  Conversely, no U.S. citizen should be allowed to retain their U.S. citizenship after obtaining citizenship in another country.  I want U.S. citizens loyal to the U.S. period.  The policy of allowing dual citizenship has been harmful to the United States because it creates divided loyalty.

Good point and can't say I disagree on the dual citizenship issue.

Interesting take and I mean that sincerely.  I don't mind giving you props when you say something that intrigues me.  

Would you care to expand on what specifically you mean by loyalty?  Do you mean in defense issues, sending money earned here back home which would otherwise benefit our economy?  IOW- What areas of loyalty to you see harming the U.S.?
"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first" -Ronald Reagan

NellieBly

I am not talking about people who disagree with my views on immigration, I am speaking in the larger sense. As a whole, most people never thought about immigration until very recently, therefore there is a lot of ignorance about it.

Therefore, a lot of knee jerk reactions.

Hometown

To answer Conan:

Most harmful when leadership has, or can obtain, dual citizenship and crafts U.S. policy that is not in the U.S.' best interest.

iplaw

quote:
Originally posted by NellieBly

I am not talking about people who disagree with my views on immigration, I am speaking in the larger sense. As a whole, most people never thought about immigration until very recently, therefore there is a lot of ignorance about it.

Who are you speaking of?  Immigration has been an issue in the US for 50 years.  It's just now that people are fed up with it because the effects are now being felt on a grand scale, and Americans are fed up with our politicians who've punted on the issue for the last 30 years.  People are reacting to the fact that we've allowed this issue to reach critical mass before dealing with it sooner.

Ed W

Immigration has been a hot button issue in this country since the Irish potato famine in the 1840s (?) if not sooner.  Successive waves of immigrants arrived here for much the same reason - the economic opportunity that a good job brings.  The Poles, Jews, Chinese and Italians all faced the same anti-immigrant biases.  The present 'hot issue' of immigration is hardly new.

But if Marx was right about all conflict originating from economic reasons, then there's an economic solution to the problem of immigration.  Simply eliminate the low-paying jobs that 'real' Americans won't take by passing legislation that heavily penalizes employers of illegals.  Wages will rise until under-employed citizens see the jobs as a realistic alternative to lesser paying jobs.  

How much would they have to pay for any one of us to take a job in a meat cutting plant or as a field hand?  And how much would you be willing to see your grocery prices rise as a result?
Ed

May you live in interesting times.

guido911

quote:
Originally posted by iplaw

quote:
Originally posted by NellieBly

Who are you speaking of?  Immigration has been an issue in the US for 50 years.  It's just now that people are fed up with it because the effects are now being felt on a grand scale, and Americans are fed up with our politicians who've punted on the issue for the last 30 years.  People are reacting to the fact that we've allowed this issue to reach critical mass before dealing with it sooner.

My main problem is that we have not learned a damned thing after Reagan's 1986 amnesty disaster (sorry, immigration reform). Furthermore, in reading on the issue, I have concluded (just as many of you) that all our national level politicians care about is courting the immigrant vote and not about rational policy. Finally, immigration issues should be taken much more seriously and aggressively by our governments at all levels, especially in a post 9/11 environment. Sorry I have more than 1 problem.
Someone get Hoss a pacifier.

Chicken Little

My number one gripe is the term "anchor baby".  Last I heard, if you were born in America, you were born an American...period.  

I think this effort to divide Americans into seperate little piles disavows the entire American experience.  It's phrenology by a different name, and it's the kind of language, and the kind of thinking, that was used in those countries our ancestors left behind.

restored2x

Thanks, Admin -

HomeTown:

That sounds very good to me - I too would like to hear more on the no-dual-citizenship idea. I've necver discussed it, nor heard it discussed. Any other reasons?

#1 in my book: EDUCATION ABROAD

Use mass media campaigns in other countries, especially those who have the most illegals here, educating would-be immigrants on the realities of the possibility of immigrating to the US. It should include bios of those who immigrated legally and are enjoying their "American Dream" and also stories of those who were caught here illegally and were deported, resulting in the loss of all they worked hard to get. It should show a welcoming country for those who qualify to immigrate legally, and also demonstrate the committment to enforce old laws.

People who are educated as to what is expected of them, what will qualify them for legal immigration will make great immigrants; and if they know they will be arrested and deported if caught here illegally will maybe cause some to refrain from illegally entering and taking up illegal residency.

The media is a powerful thing. We are not using it to educate either here or abroad.

dbacks fan

quote:
Originally posted by Ed W

Immigration has been a hot button issue in this country since the Irish potato famine in the 1840s (?) if not sooner.  Successive waves of immigrants arrived here for much the same reason - the economic opportunity that a good job brings.  The Poles, Jews, Chinese and Italians all faced the same anti-immigrant biases.  The present 'hot issue' of immigration is hardly new.

But if Marx was right about all conflict originating from economic reasons, then there's an economic solution to the problem of immigration.  Simply eliminate the low-paying jobs that 'real' Americans won't take by passing legislation that heavily penalizes employers of illegals.  Wages will rise until under-employed citizens see the jobs as a realistic alternative to lesser paying jobs.  

How much would they have to pay for any one of us to take a job in a meat cutting plant or as a field hand?  And how much would you be willing to see your grocery prices rise as a result?

Arizona has passed a twice and done law.

Any company caught knowingly hiring illegal immigrants the first time gets fined. The second offense is permanent loss of the companies business license.

Ed W

Since I have an advanced stage of staircase wit, I  came up with the other side of the economic question a little later.

We could encourage rising wages and living standards throughout Latin America by investing in businesses there and purchasing their products.  By expanding employment there, we discourage illegals coming here.
Ed

May you live in interesting times.