A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 04:27:36 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Health Ins....  (Read 6475 times)
Steve
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 08:36:21 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

I recommend a diet filled with preservatives to fight off infectious diseases.

If you get the sniffles, eat a Quik-Trip sandwich for lunch, a frozen pizza for dinner, and call me in the morning.

I am sure your post was meant as humorous with no animosity, but health care and insurance costs today are no laughing matter.

Tell someone like myself that can not buy health insurance at any price due to serious "pre existing conditions" to just eat a Quik Trip sandwich.  This is not a subject to trivialize.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 08:42:55 pm »

My post was not meant to trivialize any particular person or condition of insurability.

Like most of my ramblings, they were meant to add a stupid comment and make me laugh.

If I offended you in any way, I apologize.

And don't call me in the morning...

Power is nothing till you use it.
Lister
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 06:14:30 am »

I'm sorry to hear about your situation Steve. Sometimes people don't realize how bad it can be if you are uninsured (and I'm not talking about you RM, I know you meant no harm) and I'm sure that's a great weight on you.  The health care and more specifically the insurance system in this country is whacked out. I'm very fortunate to have the employer I have and their good benefits. I hope that you can get this resolved someday soon.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 06:48:37 am »

quote:
Originally posted by unknown

How high a deductible are you thinking? You get too high a deductible and you run the risk of never meeting your deductible for the year and your insurance won't be covering much till you get the deductible paid off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Deductible_Health_Plan

The idea is that for day-to-day expenses, your HSA pays and for major hospital stays, only then does the insurance pay. Most people take $2000/yr or less out of their insurance. If Breadburner is in the same boat, he would be better putting his $4,200/yr premium into a savings account instead of just flushing $2,200/yr or more down the toilet.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 08:34:31 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

At least you guys can obtain health insurance, employer or private.  I have medical issues that have rendered me "uninsurable."

I thought the purpose of insurance was to distribute the cost of misfortune among a wider pool of participants.  What a joke, as the insurance companies have narrowed the eligible pool at the expense of the rest of us.  Fortunately, my health today is good, but I live in constant fear of the day when I get sick and become either a charity case and forfeit my hard-earned home and everything I own, or choose to die at home without health care because I can not afford it.  I would gladly pay insurance premiums and defray a part of my future health care needs if the premiums were reasonable and affordable, but the insurance industry has deemed me uninsurable.

Count your blessings, those of you that currently have and can afford health insurance.  The health care system in this country is one gigantic cluster f*ck.

Steve,

Would Medicaid or some sort of state-sponsored plan not help you?  Or do you have to lose your house and everything else of value first?

I'm very sorry to hear of your situation.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
unknown
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 08:54:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Steve,

Would Medicaid or some sort of state-sponsored plan not help you?  Or do you have to lose your house and everything else of value first?

I would say he wouldn't qualify for any state assistance, but Most Hospitals do have uninsured discounts or other forms of Charity that help a little.... just usually have to ask for it.
Steve
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 12:57:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

At least you guys can obtain health insurance, employer or private.  I have medical issues that have rendered me "uninsurable."

I thought the purpose of insurance was to distribute the cost of misfortune among a wider pool of participants.  What a joke, as the insurance companies have narrowed the eligible pool at the expense of the rest of us.  Fortunately, my health today is good, but I live in constant fear of the day when I get sick and become either a charity case and forfeit my hard-earned home and everything I own, or choose to die at home without health care because I can not afford it.  I would gladly pay insurance premiums and defray a part of my future health care needs if the premiums were reasonable and affordable, but the insurance industry has deemed me uninsurable.

Count your blessings, those of you that currently have and can afford health insurance.  The health care system in this country is one gigantic cluster f*ck.

Steve,

No, I do not qualify for Medicaid because I have too many "assets."  So far, I have been lucky and been able to shoulder my own medical needs without insurance.  I know there are many people far less fortunate than myself.

I tend to be overly dramatic sometimes, but my previous post was not untrue.  One serious hospital stay could force me to sell my home, and it is always on my mind.  Then I would qualify for assistance, but I would have difficulty with that too.  I think I would rather just expire with dignity and keep my home as long as I could.  I have never, ever used public welfare/assistance programs, and I have a big psychological barrier to doing so.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 01:02:37 pm »

http://www.bcbsok.com/health_check_hsa.html
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 01:41:33 pm »

quote:

I think I would rather just expire with dignity and keep my home as long as I could.  I have never, ever used public welfare/assistance programs, and I have a big psychological barrier to doing so.

That makes two of us.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org