A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 02:15:14 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nostalgia - What We Drove in the 50's & 60's  (Read 3890 times)
Nick Danger
« on: October 11, 2007, 07:26:35 pm »

This is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Sit back and enjoy!
http://oldfortyfives.com/CarsWeDrove.htm

Nick
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 08:42:46 am »

Probably the favorite of the motorcycles I've owned and/or restored: 1957 Harley FLH, note the bugle horn, white walls, and blue mudflap on the front fender, yeah baby!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 08:54:45 am »

Please don't ride your motorcycle on the sidewalk.

It scares the kids.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 09:18:04 am »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

Please don't ride your motorcycle on the sidewalk.

It scares the kids.

In the time you've known me, have you ever seen me follow the rules?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 11:27:35 am »

Aaah yes, I remember what I was driving in the 60's quite well.

That baby could shoot down a hill fast as lightning. I remember riding for blocks and blocks, exploring the ol hood. I moved up to a rad bigwheel in the early 70s.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 12:33:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

That baby could shoot down a hill fast as lightning. I remember riding for blocks and blocks, exploring the ol hood. I moved up to a rad bigwheel in the early 70s.

I didn't know you were that old Smiley
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 05:36:21 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

I didn't know you were that old Smiley

Thanks.... I think.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 01:05:24 pm »

quote:

Wanna race?

joiei
City Father

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:21:41 pm »

If I remember them all, in the 50s my mom drove a Studebaker sedan and my dad drove a Studebaker truck, he worked in the Todd Field basin in Texas.  Then my mom upgraded to a Studebaker station wagon when there were 4 of us kids.  After we moved to Florida, the next car was a 59 Ford Galaxie.  The next car was a 63 Ford Galaxie. The next car was a 66 Mercury Park Lane.  Then I went on my own and it was Volkswagon beetle time, my first was a 65.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 01:31:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Probably the favorite of the motorcycles I've owned and/or restored: 1957 Harley FLH, note the bugle horn, white walls, and blue mudflap on the front fender, yeah baby!

WOW! You still got that? What a kickass bike!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 03:35:23 pm »

Nope, sold it about five years ago.  That and my '65 Electra-Glide are two bikes I'd love to have back.  I've got a 1945 61" Knucklehead I'm going to put together over the winter- pure period-correct bobber.

Only problem with the '57 was it was the last year before hydraulic brakes, you had to uh, plan your stops a little more in advance.  Also the last year for the rigid frame.  Believe it or not, the pogo-stick seat was a better ride than a '95 Heritage Softail I used to own.

Steve
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 05:49:41 pm »

My dad was a business insurance broker (property/casualty) with the Tulsa firm of Sisk & Wakefield, then later Marsh & McLennan in the 1960's.  He was fortunate to receive a brand new company car every 2 years, and it was always a Chevy Impala.  We had a '60 (with those squared off horizontal tailfins), '62, '64, '66, '68 and '70 Impala from his job.  He died of a heart attack at age 45 in Jan. 1971.  My favorite of all these cars was his 1968 blue Impala 4-door hardtop, 396 engine with TurboHydramatic.  A family car to be sure, but it could really haul butt, if only in a straight-line sort of way.  His last company car, the 1970 Impala, was a Gobi beige 4-door with tan vinyl top, 400 CID engine and that car could also burn rubber.  The 1970 was the most luxurious and well-optioned of all our family Impalas, but I most liked the '68.

We also had a family car for my mom; I remember the 1954 Ford, 1962-1963 Plymouth Valiant (a real lemon as I recall) and then they bought a 1968 gold Chevy Impala.  It had the standard 307 V8 with Powerglide tranny, not a real performer, but I clearly remember to this day when they drove that new car home from Wilkerson Chevrolet.  I was in 6th grade at John Paul Jones elementary; I usually walked or rode my bike to school but I thought I was king of the neighborhood the first time mom drove me to school in that new gold 1968 Impala!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org