A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 02:18:47 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paint, and laminate flooring too  (Read 5144 times)
Steve
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 06:29:58 pm »

My own personal opinion and taste regarding flat vs. gloss/satin paint.

I live in an early 1950's contemporary home with sheetrock interior walls and ceilings, all smooth finish.  For me, flat latex for the walls and ceilings is the way to go.  Latex paint today is durable and cleanable, and I think flat finishes do a better job of hiding minor roughness and imperfections; gloss finishes tend to highlight imperfections.

For cabinetry & trim I prefer an oil-based paint.  I painted my kitchen cabinets with oil paint 21 years ago, and have not had to repaint since.  (regular dusting & cleaning of course.)  Oil paints do gain a sort of patina over time, more noticeable with neutral shades, but I have found that desireable.

Just my opinions.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 09:38:58 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Behr acrylic eggshell on the walls. Is easy to clean, doesnt give you that dull, dry, chalky look flat does. Is good for every room. Semigloss or gloss for the trim. As for the accent walls. Would just have to see the space and the look you were going for. Interesting that the other walls are white though? And yes, be careful with the red color. The brighter and stronger the red, the more "translucent" the paint becomes and unless you use a proper basecoat color or colored primer underneath, you will be in for several coats. The room I am in now I used a textured stuccoe, then used a "peachy,orangy gold" basecoat then rubbed a cranberry red over it. The effect is stunning, you can get a "color" with layers that you cant get with only one color. Dont be afraid of color, go ahead and do a whole room with it. However, another way to add a pop of color without using the accent wall option is to do a wainscotting. Get some inexpensive trim, go 32" up from the floor, and paint your darker color below that and a lighter, complimentary color above. Another rule of thumb. Whenever you do a color in a room especially a medium to light shade, go at least 2 shades lighter on the ceiling with the same color. Gives a room a more sophisticated, finished look versus just ceiling white, though may do that with a red and certainly not for just an accent wall. Have fun and remember, its only paint.

And what on earth would youknow about colors and interior painting?  Hmmmmm?Huh? [Wink]

I got to see your handiwork in a friends' house out at 111th & Louisville last night.  They may be calling you for more work.  I put in a good word for you, as if you really needed my endorsement. [Tongue]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org