A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 08:52:20 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart Car Demo?  (Read 4332 times)
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 04:06:15 pm »

I wish they would make kei class mini trucks & vans street legal in Oklahoma.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 04:26:58 pm »

I get that one a lot too.  "Someone's gonna run over you on that bah-cycle!"  Actually, I think motorists are more of a danger to each other since they manage to kill about 42,000 per year as opposed to 800 cyclists - half of them children.

But since limited access roads are some of the safest, it makes little sense to decry small, light vehicles like Smartcars mixed in with heavier ones there.  The biggest problems occur at intersections on city streets, where big-and-heavy enjoys a kinetic energy advantage over small-and-light.

Every problem has a solution.  In this case, it's reducing the energy in crashes by reducing velocity.  In the UK, there's a proposal to reduce the speed limit in all urban areas to no more than 20mph.  I'm told that in Japan, it's already lower than that.  Besides the obvious savings in energy costs, there's reduced impact in crashes making them more survivable for motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians.  It also reduces noise level and the stress of 'normal' city traffic, leading to more liveable cities.

I like the idea.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org