A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 03:27:47 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unwed/Teen pregnancy  (Read 2510 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: December 06, 2007, 10:27:10 am »

First and foremost, I'm not convinced these statistics REALLY matter.  Marriage is not the utmost priority when rearing children - having 2 committed parents is far more important than if they are religiously or contractually married.  HOWEVER, generally speaking it is more likely that a wedded couple will provide such an environment.

That said, the unwed pregnancy statistics continue to rise.  More troubling, the teen pregnancy statistics have reversed their course and went up for the first time in 15 years.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=071206_1_A6_hSome41357

I also heard on KRMG this AM (too lazy to pull the story atm, sorry), that the same trend has been seen in Oklahoma.

Why is this in politics?  Because I'm tired of the sham of abstinence only sex education.  $180,000,000.00 a year to tell teenagers not to have sex and it simply does not work.  Some teens might forgo sex for religious conviction or out of fear (disease, pregnancy, parents, cooties) - but the number that do so because a teacher or the government says they should is probably very, very small.  Perhaps they can raise the fear factor, but the manner in which they currently do so is misplaced.

I won't bother to post the stats, but a large majority of high school graduates have chosen to ignore the prescribed safe sex of our government.  I'm willing to guess the number is similar to what it was before our current program, or in the 1980's, 70's, and on and on.  We are returning to the age where kids get sex information from other kids - or at best, off of the internet (one would hope WebMD or medschoolXYZ.edu over facebook or wikipedia).

I do not know if it is the governments place to teach your kid about sexuality, but wasting money explicitly to NOT teach them about sex has run its course.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TeeDub
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:43:42 am »

The government doesn't know how to end failed social programs.

Head start?  DARE?  Mandatory Minimum sentencing?  (Although some communities are starting to throw out the DARE program after they realize it isn't working and hasn't been for 15 years.)

We continue to throw good money after bad because someone in power really wants to believe that it might work.    

What we need is someone to clean up failed programs and move the money to places where it might really do some good.   And that is why it will never happen with our current system.   No one who would be able to do that, wants the job.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 11:42:18 am »

"I practice safe sex - I use an airbag."

Garry Shandling

Power is nothing till you use it.
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:46:53 am »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

"I practice safe sex - I use an airbag."

Garry Shandling

Use?

Are.

Oh, you said AIRBAG.  

I read it as Gasbag.

Sorry, my missteake.

[Wink]

mr.jaynes
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 07:45:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

First and foremost, I'm not convinced these statistics REALLY matter.  Marriage is not the utmost priority when rearing children - having 2 committed parents is far more important than if they are religiously or contractually married.  HOWEVER, generally speaking it is more likely that a wedded couple will provide such an environment.

That said, the unwed pregnancy statistics continue to rise.  More troubling, the teen pregnancy statistics have reversed their course and went up for the first time in 15 years.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=071206_1_A6_hSome41357

I also heard on KRMG this AM (too lazy to pull the story atm, sorry), that the same trend has been seen in Oklahoma.

Why is this in politics?  Because I'm tired of the sham of abstinence only sex education.  $180,000,000.00 a year to tell teenagers not to have sex and it simply does not work.  Some teens might forgo sex for religious conviction or out of fear (disease, pregnancy, parents, cooties) - but the number that do so because a teacher or the government says they should is probably very, very small.  Perhaps they can raise the fear factor, but the manner in which they currently do so is misplaced.

I won't bother to post the stats, but a large majority of high school graduates have chosen to ignore the prescribed safe sex of our government.  I'm willing to guess the number is similar to what it was before our current program, or in the 1980's, 70's, and on and on.  We are returning to the age where kids get sex information from other kids - or at best, off of the internet (one would hope WebMD or medschoolXYZ.edu over facebook or wikipedia).

I do not know if it is the governments place to teach your kid about sexuality, but wasting money explicitly to NOT teach them about sex has run its course.

Well, that was obviously not the case in Broken Arrow, where so many of my female classmates found themselves in "A Family Way." May even still be the case.
Rico
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 09:42:40 pm »

Let's not be so quick to lay the blame on one failed Government program....

You can find the root of the problem here...

[}:)]
mr.jaynes
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 12:22:21 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TeeDub

The government doesn't know how to end failed social programs.

Head start?  DARE?  Mandatory Minimum sentencing?  (Although some communities are starting to throw out the DARE program after they realize it isn't working and hasn't been for 15 years.)

We continue to throw good money after bad because someone in power really wants to believe that it might work.    

What we need is someone to clean up failed programs and move the money to places where it might really do some good.   And that is why it will never happen with our current system.   No one who would be able to do that, wants the job.

Hmmm, perchance teach the young people values? Or being the best role models we can possibly be?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org