A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:30:20 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 way stops  (Read 13048 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: December 13, 2007, 12:36:33 pm »

Anyone here have significant problems with the concept of a 4 way stop? Anyone?

Just in case, let me explain it to you:

Every car must stop upon reaching the intersection. At which point you will let cross-traffic cars that were stopped before you proceed through the intersection. When those cars have cleared, you may then proceed through the intersection - thus facilitating an orderly turn-taking method. Should you be turning LEFT you are to pull into the intersection and WAIT for cars that are going straight. The LEFT turner does NOT, NOT, DOES NOT have the right of way and may NOT pull in front of those going straight.

In the unlikely event of not knowing who stopped first (in that there is a constant stream so the turn taking is never at issue), you yield to the right. Again, since there is a constant flow of traffic this is not an issue (as there is always someone to everyones right).

To sum it up:
everyone must stop
take turns
left turn yields
everyone stops

if you have any questions, email them to me at:
stupidpeopleshouldntdrive@gmail.com

XoXo,
cannon_fodder

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
inteller
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 12:40:37 pm »

i think for one week out of the year we should turn off all the street lights and weed out all the stupid people.

It amazes me that people are completely lost without street lights.  Quite frankly it is scary.  If your life has been so programmed that you can't be mobile without external assistance, you live a pretty sad existence.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 12:45:56 pm »

oh, and for the record...

Gasoline engines put out harmful emissions.  Running them in your home is a bad idea.  This includes gas powered electric generators.

I'm ashamed 36 people in my community did not know that.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
spoonbill
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 12:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Anyone here have significant problems with the concept of a 4 way stop? Anyone?

Just in case, let me explain it to you:

Every car must stop upon reaching the intersection. At which point you will let cross-traffic cars that were stopped before you proceed through the intersection. When those cars have cleared, you may then proceed through the intersection - thus facilitating an orderly turn-taking method. Should you be turning LEFT you are to pull into the intersection and WAIT for cars that are going straight. The LEFT turner does NOT, NOT, DOES NOT have the right of way and may NOT pull in front of those going straight.

In the unlikely event of not knowing who stopped first (in that there is a constant stream so the turn taking is never at issue), you yield to the right. Again, since there is a constant flow of traffic this is not an issue (as there is always someone to everyones right).

To sum it up:
everyone must stop
take turns
left turn yields
everyone stops

if you have any questions, email them to me at:
stupidpeopleshouldntdrive@gmail.com

XoXo,
cannon_fodder

Too complicated!

In Oklahoma:

1. The biggest car goes first.
2.  Woman on cell phone swatting at kids goes next.
3.  Man in 3 jackets and grease stained baseball cap driving dirty blue Mustang with broken heater goes next.
4.  High-school kids texting friends with one hand, driving yukon with other goes next.
5. People with hybrids should park in the nearest lot and walk to avoid getting run over.
6.  Anyone with a small dog in lap should be shot.

Finally. . . IF YOU HESITATE, I GO!
spoonbill
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:55:15 pm »

quote:

Gasoline engines put out harmful emissions.  Running them in your home is a bad idea.  This includes gas powered electric generators.

I don't mean to be harsh (ok, yes I do), but it is natural selection in action.

When you fire up the old 2 stroke Briggs & Stratton generator in the living room of your trailer, you are saving us from future generations of questionable genetics.  

T-Town Now
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 01:22:02 pm »

Honestly, I don't know what it is with Tulsa drivers. Are they really that stupid, or are they just @ssholes?

I really don't know which it is. Not only are 4 Way Stops a challenging concept for Tulsa drivers, they also don't seem to grasp the "right lane ends ahead, if you're in that lane YOU YIELD to cars in the left lane." That's a real bad one, too.

Oh, and if you have your wipers on, your lights should be on as well, it doesn't matter if you can see, you want to make sure others can see you.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see one driver do something so awful they should have their license to drive yanked permanently. [Sad!]
cks511
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 01:31:16 pm »

Or, reverse 4-way stop etiquette....I was sitting at the red WORKING light at 61st and Harvard.  A driver pulled up beside me, stopped, then drove right through the WORKING red light.    I know they were just brain dead from all the non-working lights.  It was quite entertaining and no crashes.
inteller
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 01:40:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by spoonbill

quote:

I don't mean to be harsh (ok, yes I do), but it is natural selection in action.

When you fire up the old 2 stroke Briggs & Stratton generator in the living room of your trailer, you are saving us from future generations of questionable genetics.  

agreed.  someone told me "oh they probably put it inside so someone wouldn't steal it"

listen, you are going to KNOW when a generator is in the process of being stolen.  when the drone suddenly stops, it is either being disconnected of it is out of fuel.  Either way you go check on it.

jiminy
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 01:56:59 pm »

This is the way I thought it was supposed to go.  North and South straight lanes go at the same time, with their left turns pulling forward then going after the other side has passed.  Then East-West. Based on what I've seen, I thought I was doing it wrong.  The left turn procedure is apparently blowing people's minds.  Then, it seems there are those that think it should be East, then North, then West, then South. Then there are the VIPs who reason that two or more cars can go if they are close enough together and hurry [V].
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 03:38:05 pm »

There was some town in Britain that removed all their traffic control signs and painted lines.  Surprisingly, the motorists slowed down and crashes decreased.  I'll try to find the study.

Maybe a little chaos is good for you.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 10:41:27 pm »

4-way turns bring out idiots like a bug zapper. I am really impressed when one direction goes, everyone stares at each other, so the same direction goes again. No matter how confused you are, you know whose turn it isn't.

Also, during this period, please waive repair crew caravans through, don't cut them off, tailgate them, or refuse to pass. You know who you are.
dsjeffries
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 12:15:02 am »

What really got me is that yesterday, power was restored to the traffic signal at 11th & Delaware,  and even though it was functioning, people STILL didn't know what to do.

Am I wrong for thinking that a functional traffic signal supersedes a four-way stop sign?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 12:25:35 am »

The way I deal with four way stops is to carry my Yahtzee dice cup with me.  When there is a stand-off at the intersection, I get out of my truck and walk to each lane handing out a die to the first person in line in each diretion.  Highest roll goes first.  

I did notice a lot of people blowing the lights north of the BA on Harvard and the newer signal by Staples just a block south.  For some reason, people seem to think that the lights at intermediate and highway intersections are just a nuisance when they are lit.

It's one thing to blow an intersection when it's slick, but when you are just being an impulsive A-hole, well you are just being an impulsive A-hole.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaJayhawk
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 08:49:43 am »

Too few folks remember that one of the more practical instruments installed on every vehicle is a horn.  I use mine liberally to warn all those around that a dangerous idiot is passing through an intersection.

Slide through a four-way stop right behind someone else?  BEEEEEEP!

Keep turning left in front of me well after your protected left turn has gone red?  BEEEEEEP! (Oh, and I charge forward on my green light, as if to ram them broadside.)

Turn into the wrong lane on a double left turn?  BEEEEEEP!

Let the morons know their dangerous behaviors are noticed.  Use your horn!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 09:06:29 am »

When people honk at me...I just assume they are saying hello because they know me or think I am so good looking.

The four ways stops sure slow down my travel and the confusion makes the Mingo traffic circle look smart.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org