A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 05:21:46 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Firm Charged In Tax Scheme  (Read 3535 times)
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« on: December 23, 2007, 01:24:09 am »

Firm accused in tax scheme

In the Whirled

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
FOTD
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 01:48:30 am »

Uh Oh.

Tip of the iceberg?

Betcha lots of companies were doing this before the state legislature deportation law took effect.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 08:54:37 am »

Without getting too deeply into the illegal immigrant question, I'd like to point at that this seems to be encouraging evidence of "enforcing the laws already on the books." And also, IMO, aiming enforcement in the direction that it will do the most good . . . reducing demand for cheap labor by targeting businesses that hire illegals.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 08:56:57 am »

Bet there are still plenty of companies doing it now, just not as rampant as it was.

This illustrates precisely one of the problems with illegal immigrants:  take advantage of tax-funded services and contribute little or nothing back into the tax pool which funds those services.

Speaking of illegal immigrants, what ever happened to Hometown?  Did he finally high-tail it back to California due to all these "hateful" new laws?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 09:34:52 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

This illustrates precisely one of the problems with illegal immigrants:  take advantage of tax-funded services and contribute little or nothing back into the tax pool which funds those services.

But ya know, they actually ARE contributing some taxes into the system, and depending on the situation, they might very well be contributing taxes and not being able to take advantage of them because of their status.  

They're contributing to all the consumption taxes out there (sales taxes, etc), and might be contributing to employment taxes (if they're registered with fake soc security #'s) and possibly even income or property taxes depending.

This was one counter example I found out there in Google land.  

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 10:35:34 am »

quote:
Speaking of illegal immigrants, what ever happened to Hometown?  Did he finally high-tail it back to California due to all these "hateful" new laws?

One can only hope so.

<center>
</center>
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 06:39:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

quote:

One can only hope so.

Since there isn't a draft, we know he hasn't run off to Canada.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hometown
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 07:40:22 am »

When my parents divorced I lived with my father in Dallas.  Dallas is my second hometown.  We were in Dallas' Oak Cliff neighborhood three weeks ago looking at real estate.  It's an energetic, diverse neighborhood that reminds me of San Francisco's Mission District.  I can buy a house in Oak Cliff comparable to my home in Tulsa for the same price.  Then I can go to work doing the same job and make $30,000 more than I do in Tulsa.  Not to mention the fact that I've always had a lot of fun in Dallas.  Our other option now is to stop working and live in Vera Cruz, Mexico or the Rio Dulce area of Guatemala.  When we were driving back from Dallas I noticed that the creepy religious billboards and bad asphalt roads started at the border.  Having said that I'm still struggling with letting go of our house here in Tulsa.  I love our house and neighborhood.  But I have been very dissapointed with Oklahomans in general.  It's the hate in their hearts that gets me.  Meanwhile, I still have some things to work out with Tulsa.  I'll keep my fans posted.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 08:38:44 am »

At the risk of sounding extremely negative... are you going to change your signature to something more apt, like "Oklahoman's are hateful, I'm outta here?"  

I understand your concerns, but I think MOST people are not so extreme as to being truely hateful of anyone.  Some would seem to hate homosexuals or immigrants and so on... but I would not think it is a majority, but a vocal minority.   And unfortunately, if that vocal minority drives off much of the outspoken of the usually quite majority - they are given total control.

Not sure if that makes sense or not, or really matters.  But I'd hate to see someone leave because they disagree with a vocal minority,  especially when I tend to agree with him.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
inteller
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

It's the hate in their hearts that gets me.

Hey, as long as you are around I'll always leave a little just for you.  Wouldn't want you to go without ya know.[}:)]
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 11:12:28 pm »

quote:

When my parents divorced I lived with my father in Dallas.  Dallas is my second hometown.  We were in Dallas' Oak Cliff neighborhood three weeks ago looking at real estate.  It's an energetic, diverse neighborhood that reminds me of San Francisco's Mission District.  I can buy a house in Oak Cliff comparable to my home in Tulsa for the same price.  Then I can go to work doing the same job and make $30,000 more than I do in Tulsa.  Not to mention the fact that I've always had a lot of fun in Dallas.  Our other option now is to stop working and live in Vera Cruz, Mexico or the Rio Dulce area of Guatemala.  When we were driving back from Dallas I noticed that the creepy religious billboards and bad asphalt roads started at the border.  Having said that I'm still struggling with letting go of our house here in Tulsa.  I love our house and neighborhood.  But I have been very dissapointed with Oklahomans in general.  It's the hate in their hearts that gets me.  Meanwhile, I still have some things to work out with Tulsa.  I'll keep my fans posted.

I'd rather die an Okie, than live as a Texican.

<center>
</center>
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 12:00:23 am »

quote:

I started to call you crazy for moving to Oak Cliff.  10 to 15 years ago that was like living in Compton.  I'd forgotten the gay community has started to gentrify the area.

I'm sure you will be back to tell us how great and liberal life is in Dallas on a regular basis.

Hey, you still have to come trench my postage stamp size yard with SGrizzle before you move away. [Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TulsaFan-inTexas
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 09:47:41 am »

quote:

I hope you're not moving to South Oak Cliff. That is a DANGEROUS part of town. I live in DFW and hear a lot about that place; it's a haven for criminal activity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org