A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 07:28:56 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama and toys from China  (Read 2901 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: December 23, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »

On Wednesday, democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama told voters in New Hampshire that he would "ban all toys from China." He backed off that pledge on Sunday in Iowa saying he would " ban all toys containing more than a trace amount of lead."

This isn't about him saying one thing in New Hampshire and another in Iowa or that he flip-flopped on the issue...I think he just mis-spoke the first time and made sure and corrected it.

But think what that would do to the American economy and to other economies of the world. According to the Associated Press, 80% of the toys sold in the United States this year will come from China.

Obviously, the price of toys would go up, but potentially the quality and the safety of them as well. It would spur the toy-making of other countries and maybe even toys made right here at home. Most importantly, it would send a very clear message to the world that Americans want safer toys and until China changes they way they produce goods, we ain't buying. It could potentially change the entire world economy.

I know it was just a miss-statement...but I love the concept. It would be bold, show outside the box thinking, and would show me the leader of our country really cares about my kids.

If he really meant it, he would have earned my vote.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 09:51:12 pm »

Wow, so his bold move is to ban all the toys that everyone already agrees shouldn't be here in the first place.

I liked the first statement... the second is pretty much "duh"
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 12:04:17 am »

This concerns me more than toys from China....the current admin has had 7 years of on the job training. Why be concerned about toys from China? After all, the Emirates and the Chinese are starting to own us. And look out because they lack any knowledge of what commitment to the US means.

http://uaeinteract.com/docs/Iran_is_top_destination_for_Dubai_exports/27967.htm

Iran has taken the top spot as Dubai's main export market, surpassing India and major European countries, a new report has revealed. The Islamic Republic accounted for a 15 per cent share of total exports from Dubai between 2002 and 2006, data released by the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DCCI) yesterday showed.
Iran imported goods worth Dh94.3 billion from Dubai's total exports of Dh621.4bn during the five-year period, however the market was growing at a lower yearly rate than the 28 per cent average annual growth of total exports.
The UAE has been a global gateway for Iran and its most important global trading partner, with trade between the two countries – mainly exports from the UAE to Iran – reaching more than US$11bn (Dh40.3bn) in 2006 alone.
DCCI data showed India taking second place in Dubai's list of major markets, with an 11 per cent share of the total value of exports in that time. The country also saw a much higher average annual growth of 71 per cent.
The only GCC country to feature at the top of the list was Saudi Arabia, which in third place was Dubai's largest GCC export market.
The Kingdom took 5.7 per cent share of Dubai's exports between 2002 and 2006. The country also ranked first in terms of export performance score, mainly due to increasing diversification of export contents and increasing number of products exported to it in large volumes, the report said The Saudi Arabian market was expanding at an annual rate of only 12 per cent – much lower than the growth of total exports.
Qatar was the only GCC destination where annual export growth – at nearly 34 per cent – exceeded the total average growth in the major markets. The Gulf state only took 1.8 per cent share of Dubai's exports. Oman was the worst export market of the GCC nations for Dubai. Although content diversification to the Sultanate was significant during that period, the report said. The three European countries – Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands – were all in Dubai's top 10 list of export markets.

No wonder during the Bush administration Dubai has become an outstanding export market. And no wonder they are making money by tilting to the far right. Reminds me of the Bushes of yesteryear. How about the days of Prescott Bush and the German regime during the big war...
Interesting in light of Carlyle and Halliburton ties to Dubai. I don't hear any condemnation of the Emirates for this connection to Iran. Of course, Halliburton's continued dealings with Iran didn't arouse much ire, either.

It's not about toys....it's about dice.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 09:14:10 am »

RM:

Go around the country and ask every American if toys from China are as safe as they should be.  Probably 95+% would either say no or would at least acknowledge the recent problems.  Everyone knows about the cheap plastic toys from China and the vast majority have heard about a recall, the lead thing, or other issues.

Yet we still buy them and no harm has been proven or even insinuated on any child.  

Why would I want the federal government to tell me what I should buy for my kids?  If you want to send a message that you care or that you do not like China, then do so. Each American is free to consume whatever products they want and thus send very clear messages. Let parents decide what is best for their children and what quality of toys they wish to acquire.  

Not to mention the economics involved.  China produces cheap plastic toys because that is what China's vast labor force is good for.  Unskilled, dirty (ever smelled melting plastic?  mmmm) and low return production.   America's workforce is more highly skilled and inefficient at producing generic bulk items.  It is a poor use of our workforce at 5% unemployment to do so.  Unless American consumer's decide that they prefer a $50 steel Tonka Truck to a $20 plastic one, then it is unlikely that America will be a large manufacturer of toys in the near future.

Personally, I would still probably buy the cheapest toy available (within reason).  My son grows tired of toys, never actually has interest in them, loses or would manage to break a toy before a higher quality product would wear out anyway.  Heck, his plastic Tonka Trucks and a plethora of other toys have been passed on still in working order.

I guess I'm not sure government should be int he business of dictating consumer preference, if the economics would see those toys manufactured in America anyway, or that I would chose to purchase a different product (I do not currently).  So the point is lost on me as election year pandering.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 09:55:17 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Wow, so his bold move is to ban all the toys that everyone already agrees shouldn't be here in the first place.

I agree.I do not care if prices on toys go up as long as they are made here in America.These companies are trying to cut corners as much as possible in order to gain extra profits,China is only doing the same thing as these companies.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 09:58:17 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

RM:

Go around the country and ask every American if toys from China are as safe as they should be.  Probably 95+% would either say no or would at least acknowledge the recent problems.  Everyone knows about the cheap plastic toys from China and the vast majority have heard about a recall, the lead thing, or other issues.

Yet we still buy them and no harm has been proven or even insinuated on any child.  

Why would I want the federal government to tell me what I should buy for my kids?  If you want to send a message that you care or that you do not like China, then do so. Each American is free to consume whatever products they want and thus send very clear messages. Let parents decide what is best for their children and what quality of toys they wish to acquire.  

Saying there is a choice when the vast majority of stuff comes from China is absurd.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 10:12:49 am »

Saying there is not a choice is absurd.

What product do you really need to get your child that you simply can not find NOT made in China?  Do you really need to get a plastic McDonalds toy or the latest Barbie?  Otherwise you can find hand-made in the USA Dolls in many places and carved wooden toys all over the place.  If you do not want a plastic in China truck get an all metal made in the USA one.

I admit, there are a few items you simply would be screwed on.  But generally you do not have to have that exact item and can find something similar made elsewhere.  You'll pay more for it and it will not be exactly what you want, but if you really wanted to it would be possible to find a replacement.

Here, I'll make it easy:

http://toysmadeinamerica.com/
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/toysngames.html
http://www.fatbraintoys.com/specials/made_in_america.cfm
http://www.madeinusa.org/nav.cgi?data/toys&

Dolls, trucks, rockets, cars, boats, trinkets, games, books, models, Discovery toys, art supplies, crafts, sporting goods, musical instruments, riding toys, blocks, marbles, doll houses, planes, building sets, balls, and tons of other crap.  And that's just a short list of Made in America toys - add other countries and surely the list would be comprehensive.

Clearly you did not look very hard to find your choices. If you want American made toys there they are - go and get them.  Next time spend 5 seconds on google before telling me my post is absurd.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 12:44:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jamesrage

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I agree.I do not care if prices on toys go up as long as they are made here in America.These companies are trying to cut corners as much as possible in order to gain extra profits,China is only doing the same thing as these companies.

It's not just extra profits.  Consumer price pressure helps keep this perpetuating as well.  There are many items formerly manufactured in the U.S. that the tagged price is roughly the same as it was 10 or 20 years ago.

As long as consumers are willing to buy these products and demand discount pricing, it just grows.

No one I know is disciplined enough to refuse to buy foreign at all cost.  I know I like that principle, but the truth is, I'm too cheap and lazy to take the time to make sure every last thing I buy was made in America.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Rico
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 01:09:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jamesrage

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

RM:

Saying there is a choice when the vast majority of stuff comes from China is absurd.

Hey James.... I think that is for you.

man all that hate for homeless people has taken a toll on you...!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org