A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 07:21:07 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama: Best orator in a long, long time  (Read 4712 times)
FOTD
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 01:10:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I guess I take issue with your definition of evil.  Either you use the word loosely or your world view is so very different I should abstain from conversation.  Hitler... was evil.  If Bush is evil, what do you call Hitler?

How about, they're both facsists? Hitler's issues were more extreme sociopathic than Shrub's psychological issues. Comparing the two however is just plain nonsense.

Some Fascinating Insight Into the Obama Caucus Voters: "One-fifth of the Democratic caucus participants were independents, according to a media survey taken as voters entered precincts Thursday night -- and of them, 41% backed Obama and just 17% opted for Clinton. Moreover, 57% of caucus-goers said it was their first time taking part, and first-time caucus-goers made up two-thirds of Obama's supporters."

America seems to understand what's going on in our vacuous leadership predicament and is showing their willingness to take a chance to avoid evil and mean divisive leadership.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-demassess4jan04,1,1546,full.story?coll=la-politics-campaign&ctrack=2&cset=true

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/the-women-vote/
rwarn17588
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 02:16:07 pm »

I'm from Illinois, and when I first heard him talk years ago, he struck me as a sort of firm, straight-talking Midwesterner. That's one reason why he did so well in gaining the vote in lily-white downstate.

And downstate Illinois definitely has a Southern thing going. Kentucky and Indiana are the next states over, with a lot of influence from both.

It pays to remember that he was essentially raised by his Kansas-born mother and grandfather. So the Midwest twang comes honestly.

The fact he's eloquent is just a bonus. He's probably the best speech-maker since Reagan.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 03:00:24 pm »

That makes sense, RW. I know he was trying to project 'Presidential' and 'gravitus' (sp) but in that grave, 1000 mile stare I saw 'Loonybin.'  But, after watching CSpan during the final days they ALL were pretty much nuts, though.
inteller
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 05:05:50 pm »

it is funny, Barak reminds me of the sheriff from Blazing Saddles....I'm sure it seemed that way when he rolled into certain Iowa towns.

"where are all da white women at?"
waterboy
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 10:34:02 am »

By this time i have begun to tune out the words and frame them mentally as cartoon images. I like BO but can't get over the strong resemblance to Curious George. Maybe its the ears!

TulsaFan-inTexas
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 09:33:43 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

He just overplayed the looking visionary thing, and in my hypercritical thinking it looked more standoffish than he may have wanted it too.  You are right, smiling too much looks psychotic, and while Hillary is a disciplined soundbite deliverer, her speeches are torture.

when I saw BHO and MH faces on MSNBC last night I was like "OMG, it is the faces of evil!"

Define evil.....seems you think shrub isn't evil.  

"Choosing between the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil" Garcia

BO is not evil. To some, irritating.

A great speach by the only person who can stop Billary.

I agree. I am a Republican and have been my adult life. This guy is the first Democrat that I've seen since I've been of voting age that I actually like and might just vote for.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 09:49:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaFan-inTexas

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

He just overplayed the looking visionary thing, and in my hypercritical thinking it looked more standoffish than he may have wanted it too.  You are right, smiling too much looks psychotic, and while Hillary is a disciplined soundbite deliverer, her speeches are torture.

when I saw BHO and MH faces on MSNBC last night I was like "OMG, it is the faces of evil!"

Define evil.....seems you think shrub isn't evil.  

"Choosing between the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil" Garcia

BO is not evil. To some, irritating.

A great speach by the only person who can stop Billary.

I agree. I am a Republican and have been my adult life. This guy is the first Democrat that I've seen since I've been of voting age that I actually like and might just vote for.

What is it about Obama, then, that crosses the aisle so well?  You're not the first Republican who's said that and I'm curious as to why.  Is it only in comparison with Hillary?  Is it because he's trying to be inclusive rather than partisan? Or do you like his policy proposals?
TulsaFan-inTexas
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 10:10:23 am »

To me it all boils down to sincerity and integrity. I certainly don't agree with all of what BO subscribes to, but I don't see him as two-faced. EVERY other politician out there (including Republicans with the exception of Ron Paul IMO) are just career corrupt politicians. The many times I have seen BO speak he sometimes says things that could hurt him, but he is HONEST about them. I prefer honesty and integrity over pandering any day. I can't stand Hillary; the woman gives me the impression that she DESERVES to be President and is somehow pre-ordained to be so. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. Also, I'm a little tired of seeing either a Bush or Clinton in office. This is getting old.

Also, yes, it is because he seems to be more inclusive than partisan. I see him as someone who would be comfortable talking with either side of the aisle. In short, he seems to be a statesman.

I could really go for an Obama/Edwards or Edwards/Obama ticket. Thus far, that is how I am going to vote this year. I hope those two are the Democrat choice for Prez/Vice Prez.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 10:17:41 am »

quote:

To me it all boils down to sincerity and integrity. I certainly don't agree with all of what BO subscribes to, but I don't see him as two-faced. EVERY other politician out there (including Republicans with the exception of Ron Paul IMO) are just career corrupt politicians. The many times I have seen BO speak he sometimes says things that could hurt him, but he is HONEST about them. I prefer honesty and integrity over pandering any day. I can't stand Hillary; the woman gives me the impression that she DESERVES to be President and is somehow pre-ordained to be so. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. Also, I'm a little tired of seeing either a Bush or Clinton in office. This is getting old.

Also, yes, it is because he seems to be more inclusive than partisan. I see him as someone who would be comfortable talking with either side of the aisle. In short, he seems to be a statesman.

The thing I get from Barack Obama is that he's very idealistic-or so it seems from his speeches. That does not mean I would or would not vote for him. Idealism can only take one so far until reality tends to gauge its practicality.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 10:51:58 am »

quote:

I could really go for an Obama/Edwards or Edwards/Obama ticket. Thus far, that is how I am going to vote this year. I hope those two are the Democrat choice for Prez/Vice Prez.

Wow, seriously?  And you're a lifelong Republican?   I can see the Obama thing, but adding Edwards into the mix tips you seriously to the left.  Not that there's anything wrong with that [Wink]
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 11:44:58 am »

quote:

I certainly don't agree with all of what BO subscribes to, but I don't see him as two-faced. EVERY other politician out there

+1.

If the Republican ticket was Huckabee and the Democratic ticket was Obama... I'd probably vote democratic if no third party was available to waste my vote on.  Just because he is either a fantastic liar - or because he really is sincere.  Even though I do not like his policies too much (most republicans policies are not much better at this point, with only Thompson actually talking about Social Security.  Paul has some facets to him I like, but the Gold Standard and his isolationism are enough to make him a non-issue in the real world).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TulsaFan-inTexas
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 11:58:29 am »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

quote:

Wow, seriously?  And you're a lifelong Republican?   I can see the Obama thing, but adding Edwards into the mix tips you seriously to the left.  Not that there's anything wrong with that [Wink]

I realize that it does. I do like Edwards stance on the stupid health insurance laws. Health insurance, IMO, and it's monopoly on things is one of the reasons our healthcare system is a mess. I know, some of my fellow Republicans will call me a goon or an idiot but our healthcare system is in serious need of reform.

I realize that I am be taking a hard left but I voted for George Bush in 2000 and quite simply the Republicans have left me with a very, very, VERY sour taste in my mouth. It's time to try something different.

If you are an Obama supporter, tell him to keep it up (being himself) and he'll get many Republican votes. I'm not the only one that feels this way. That shtick that I've gotten from most of the other candidates has gotten old with me.

Besides, I'd like to have a President that can actually formulate an intelligent sentence instead of saying "Nukular," "It takes hard work," and "The Internets."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org