A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 08:29:13 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tulsa World Sales Ad's  (Read 8699 times)
buzz words
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:09:21 pm »

If you could find a paper that only charged .50 cents for the sales would you buy it or would you still buy the Tulsa World?
spoonbill
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 04:20:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by buzz words

If you could find a paper that only charged .50 cents for the sales would you buy it or would you still buy the Tulsa World?

Someone still buys the Tulsa World?  I just read it at coffee shops in the morning.  The reporting is poor, and it's so much easier to get the news online.
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »

Yep....it's here before there.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:21:49 pm »

Seems like a moot point since it wouldn't happen. Kind of a leprechauns vs unicorns thing.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:36:26 pm »

quote:

Over the holidays, I had a chance to pick up a copy of the Mobile Press Registar, which used to be a very good regional paper, it is now owned by some corporation somewhere not near Mobile and that paper is now hardly good for wrapping fish.  That was a waste of my 50 cents for real.  I may not always agree with the local paper but at least it is readable with real news.  Not some schlock fed to them by a corporate headquarters that could care less about what happens locally.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 12:21:30 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Seems like a moot point since it wouldn't happen. Kind of a leprechauns vs unicorns thing.

I'm so glad I was not drinking coffee in the midst of that post.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 12:24:38 am »

quote:

Here's what you do Buzz:  Look up www.tulsatoday.com.  Go see the publisher, he's real big on media stuff, see, and likes to exploit new ideas.  I think he'd be right up your alley for getting your various ventures off the ground.  He's a promotional genious and real big on the river so the Jenks angle might attract him to you.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
inteller
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 12:05:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

might attract him to you.

yes, much like flies to ****.
NellieBly
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:20:12 pm »

Reading the Tulsa World is like reading history. I have already heard about, read or seen on TeeVee most of the news by the time I get my paper.

I still get the TW because I have to have something to fill my vermicomposting bin with and the hubby likes sudoku and local sports.
waterboy
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 03:16:38 pm »

quote:

Best I can tell what you're describing is a "shopper". Usually free, tossed on yards. Content was about 90% advertising and 10% fluff editorial (crosswords, comics, local columns, and canned items available through news services). They were popular in small towns across the country until the penetration of internet usage increased. Draw your own conclusions on that. They were very profitable and a horrid use of newsprint. I think a local company, Retherford Publications, had the honor of the last one in this area called the Broken Arrow Scout.

TeeDub
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 03:54:12 pm »

We get the Broken Arrow Ledger for free twice a week.

It is a real newspaper, and is paid for exclusively by advertising.
spoonbill
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 04:40:56 pm »

I don't understand the Tulsa World's business model?  You can pay for it to be delivered, then go out in the cold and retrieve your wet newspaper, or you can just read it online and search for the articles you are interested in.

The online version of the Tulsa World also allows you to e-mail the writers to tell them what they got wrong.  Not that they care.
waterboy
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 08:39:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TeeDub

We get the Broken Arrow Ledger for free twice a week.

It is a real newspaper, and is paid for exclusively by advertising.

What you're getting is probably the free shopper editions loaded with grocery ads and flyers delivered "free" twice a week. The paper is a subscription paper.
waterboy
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 08:45:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by spoonbill

I don't understand the Tulsa World's business model?  You can pay for it to be delivered, then go out in the cold and retrieve your wet newspaper, or you can just read it online and search for the articles you are interested in.

The online version of the Tulsa World also allows you to e-mail the writers to tell them what they got wrong.  Not that they care.

You sound a bit cynical Spoon. The paper is bagged on wet days. The value of a newspaper over internet or other electronic media is that you can take it with you and read it when you please. Not just when you have electricity or a free wireless signal. Advertisers like the tearsheets proving their ads actually were published, the confirmed subscriptions proving someone cared enough to pay for the medium their ad ran in and the quick production times (about a day and a half). Add the fact that you can cut coupons, tear an article out and run screaming to the editor about its errors AND then use it for composting...well, thats one fine medium!

edit: btw that model allowed one family the profits to build the Fox network and a local family the income to own their own island in the Pacific.
dggriffi
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 09:59:30 pm »

i never go anywhere without electricity and an internet connection. Thats why i weigh 800  pounds.   When i must leave(to find food) i use a sprint air card and a Stirling engine fueled by the heat created from friction when my legs move(spandex assisted).  so you can keep your fancy "paper" paper.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org