A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 03:22:50 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverand Orta Is Crossing The Line  (Read 4727 times)
si_uk_lon_ok
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 04:14:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by iplaw

quote:
Originally posted by si_uk_lon_ok
As a point of clarification unrelated to the topic, I do not believe the UK has ever seriously considered banned the head scarf.
Secondly outside of the EU all immigrants are treated equally unless they have a British grandparent so a North African and North American would be treated the same.

The UK currently bans the muslim headscarf in all schools and the practice has been upheld by UK courts.

Also, there are many restrictions placed on arab immigrants, for example, an arab student wishing to immigrate to the UK may only apply if there are no qualified EU physicians.

In fact, there have been more than 40 individuals who have killed themselves over the UK's stringent immigration policies.  One Nepalese man actually set himself on fire in front of a UK customs office.

http://www.ncadc.org.uk/resources/selfharm.html

Apparently it's not as easy you make it seem...

The UK doesn’t have a ban on head scarfs, I think you are confusing the UK with either Turkey or France. Some schools have banned them, but they are the tiny minority. To say the UK has banned head scarfs in all schools is a lie.

The restriction on doctors is not just for arab doctors, but all doctors from abroad. The claim you made was false. There are as I am aware no additional restrictions placed on arabs to migrate to the UK.

These people who killed themselves is very sad and personally I would have let them stay, but they were all failed refugees whose claims did not stand up and were made to leave. Some of the examples you gave had nothing to do with immigration law such as the mentally ill woman who jumped to her death.

I’m not nor have I ever held up the UK as an example on immigration, if I reply it is only to clarify the facts. I am not defending the UK either without judgement, I think the deportation of failed asylum seekers is cruel and I think the efforts made by America to integrate refugees is a shining example to the rest of the world. It was however Conan who switched topic from Orta to UK immigration policy.
KingMutt
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 03:00:35 pm »

I do not agree with HB 1804. However, since this summer, I became friendly with an attorney who is active in the Hispanic Community.  His opinion of these so-called leaders is not too high.  Based upon my own observations, I think they hurt their own cause far worse than the anti-immigration groups.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 04:53:53 pm »

Well, who has seen this...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110ap_immigration_crackdown_oklahoma.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 06:06:25 pm »

That's a big crock of **** don't you think Guido?  The law didn't kill him.  His parents put their own fear of being deported over his well-being.

That AP writer has a gift of hyperbole.

Yeah, let's hang that evil Randy Terrill.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 08:09:11 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

That's a big crock of **** don't you think Guido?  The law didn't kill him.  His parents put their own fear of being deported over his well-being.

That AP writer has a gift of hyperbole.

Yeah, let's hang that evil Randy Terrill.

Oh, I agree it is a crock. I posted that link because I find it interesting the lengths those on the opposite side of Oklahoma immigration policy will go...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org