A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 03:37:47 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Schools  (Read 5911 times)
Shavethewhales
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 12:01:03 am »

So what is the moral of this story in relation to the students involved? Is it that life is full of harsh rules that one must always follow to the beat or be brutally punished? Some have said that it is, but I'd like to think that those people shouldn't be in charge of someone else's future.

Meh, it's pretty sad when you have to choose between a school where all the children are drilled into the ground with regulations or one where the kids are wild animals. I wish more school administrators would just find a moot point and kick out trouble makers rather than locking down schools with nonsense - I for one would have a hard time learning in a place where I was always watching my back so that I didn't fudge up something stupid like my shirt collar being out of place.

Just my 2 cents for the day.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 09:45:52 am »

I think, for my time, Tulsa Public Schools were by far more relaxed than Broken Arrow Schools-which is one of the many reasons I'd transferred out of that district. As for school uniforms, a good case could be made for why they are necessary, but the effectiveness of such a policy is something I would have to be sold on before I'd buy into it wholeheartedly. I don't see the necessity of nigh-draconian enforcement of those rules.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 10:44:29 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I do business & compliance work, while I have had to be on the plaintiffs side it is not what one would call plaintiffs work.

And by the way swimtoon, welcome to Tulsa Now!

Good to know...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 11:22:27 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shavethewhales

So what is the moral of this story in relation to the students involved? Is it that life is full of harsh rules that one must always follow to the beat or be brutally punished? Some have said that it is, but I'd like to think that those people shouldn't be in charge of someone else's future.

Meh, it's pretty sad when you have to choose between a school where all the children are drilled into the ground with regulations or one where the kids are wild animals. I wish more school administrators would just find a moot point and kick out trouble makers rather than locking down schools with nonsense - I for one would have a hard time learning in a place where I was always watching my back so that I didn't fudge up something stupid like my shirt collar being out of place.

Just my 2 cents for the day.

Is it really so brutal to keep ones shirt tucked in? Is it a death sentence to go in on a Saturday? Puleeeze. "Life full of harsh rules"? I would like to have seen you forget to take out the trash at my house when you were a kid, or miss a spot when you dusted or vacuumed the house. I am not even going to tell you about the time I made a "C!" in math and the hell I had to pay for that lol. All those harsh rules about sitting up straight, combing your hair, brusing your teeth, wearing matching socks, holding your fork right, dont yell, say yes mam no mam, never ask a lady how old she is "boy I got a beating for that one once lol", no hitting? hmmm?, clean your plate, wait your turn, be on time .... how could any human being possibly turn out all right with such an endless litany of harsh rules foisted on them like that? And the punishments... more chores, being grounded, a spanking, a lecture, lose out on an outing or a treat, "or some various combination of the above said lol".

As for following the beat. Thats part of "playing the game" of life. Being clever enough to be unique and win the game...within whatever rules you run into, now thats a life habit worth learning.

As for the trouble makers. If we were either willing to put in the effort or the money to say have a school or special classes just for the "trouble makers" that might help. But if you kick them out, well in many instances they dont even want to be in school and their parents dont really care either. I would rather figure out some way to get them educated so they can get a real job someday. But, we dont seem to want to go to that effort so we are stuck in this middle ground trying to figure out how to deal with all types of students jumbled together.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
buck
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 09:18:15 pm »

TPS has made it pretty clear this year about having shirts tucked in. Middle school has to have their undershirt tucked in under their uniforms, and high schoolers have to have shirts tucked in too although they don't have uniforms. As far as Saturday Schools that does seem a bit much, usually it is just a warning unless they are a habitual offender. At Rogers earlier this year a group of students walked out in protest of this policy. I've heard that TPS is looking at high schoolers having uniforms. I was talking to a guy in OKC and he said OKCPS has high school uniforms, and of course the private and charter schools already do this.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 08:42:34 am »

1. They can't kick out trouble makers thanks to Federal mandated universal education.  Well, at least they have made it difficult to do so.  And as Artist indicated, just kicking them out would not serve us well in the long run.

2. Uniforms rock.  The kids look nice, it's easier and cheaper for parents, and easier for the kids for that matter.  If it has any effect on discipline at all - it's just gravy.

3. Lists are always better with more than 2 points.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org