A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 05:44:57 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T.U. needs a coffehouse  (Read 7769 times)
TheCollective
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 10:57:06 am »

sorry, our email is thecollectivetulsa@gmail.com
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 07:42:02 am »

Here's a (the) question for ya', will it at least try to cater to sports fans?  

More generally, what can we expect?  Bar/cafe/coffee house is a broad concept, sell it to me!

and best of luck, see you in September.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 08:08:30 am »

A couple of questions, if you don't mind...

1. Are you leasing the space and the parking lot from Abdul?

2. Are you using the kitchen side for food?

3. Are you going to spray paint the name of your restaurant on the building like BALLERS? I really hate to see that beautiful artwork go...

4. What are the hours going to be?

I live very close by and am excited to see someone in the space. It's had a rough go and hasn't worked out for one reason or another. I tend to blame bad ownership and lame concepts. Their failures have caused some to assume that it's the location's fault. I totally disagree. I think it's a great spot and even looked at leasing it myself once for a Joe Momma's.

I think you may really have something with a coffee shop. Great idea and best of luck!

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
darkspectre
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 08:10:30 am »

There is a french-style coffee shop going in over by the Circle Cinema on Lewis where the old mexican restaurant once was.
Gold
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 11:54:51 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JoeMommaBlake

3. Are you going to spray paint the name of your restaurant on the building like BALLERS? I really hate to see that beautiful artwork go...

I live very close by and am excited to see someone in the space. It's had a rough go and hasn't worked out for one reason or another. I tend to blame bad ownership and lame concepts. Their failures have caused some to assume that it's the location's fault. I totally disagree. I think it's a great spot and even looked at leasing it myself once for a Joe Momma's.

I think you may really have something with a coffee shop. Great idea and best of luck!

I echo your statements on ownership.  As a TU alum and long time TU sports fan, I've had interactions with various owners at that place over the years.  The common denominator after the Regers family sold the original Hardwood was bad ownership.

Probably the most egregious example is the group that tried to re-open it in the fall of '06.  They sold coupons that gave a discount for drinks there (I think there might be a legal issue in there somewhere).  They closed before anyone could use the coupons.

That same group drew the ire of TU football diehards when they promised they would televise the TU at BYU game that fall.  Several people on the message boards claimed there was no way they would get it.  Anyway, I personally walked up to the door about three hours before the game and asked; they told me it was a go.  

They never got the game on the tv.  They promised several times they would.  While I was there, I saw a bouncer get in a fight with a drunken OU fan.  After that, my group was interested in going back.

The various other owners I've talked to over there (other than the Rogers family) have all had weird quirks.  I arranged for a TU law school party over there once and got a phone call from the owner the night of the party, asking if his friend's band could play.  "You'll like them -- they'll play Coolio."

I think the place needs a massive rework.  If they made it nicer, that might run off some of the shady folks who have caused trouble there.  But the current setup scares the college kids off -- there have been a couple of shootings there and a lot of fights.  Granted, bad stuff happens anywhere, but I think if they had better control on the place, more people would go.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 12:08:57 pm »

The place was nice, not as Ballerz, but the 2 incarnations before that.  They had TONS of TU memorabilia on the walls and lots of TVs.

BUT, they failed to get the sports package, a liquor permit, ran out of beer etc. etc.  

I agree with the general assessment on why it failed.  I hope it turns around, great location and I will certainly, at very least, give you a try.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheCollective
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 06:18:12 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JoeMommaBlake

Thanks Joe Mamma! Here are some answers to your questions and the questions of other posters.

Yes we are leasing from Abdul.

We are using the kitchen for food: quirky, healthy sandwiches, gourmet soups and original salads all with an old-time tulsa twist.

We will not be using spray paint for our signage, sorry to see you will be upset about us taking down the grafitti... there should be a real sign and a new deck with patio lights and tables!

Our projected hours of operation are :
Tues-Thurs: 7am-9pm
Fri-Sat: 7am-2am
Sun:12pm-9pm

I am happy to answer any questions, but I dont want to give it all away! We are hoping to create a quirky, artsy atmosphere with a wall dedicated to local artists openings monthly, and local bands shows on Friday and Saturday nights.

Unfortunately, due to the previous history of "Sports themed" businesses in this location, we have decided to stay away from that arena. there will be comfortable seats, good food, free wifi, good coffee and great company!

We hope to see you all in September!

Gold
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 09:38:45 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

The place was nice, not as Ballerz, but the 2 incarnations before that.  They had TONS of TU memorabilia on the walls and lots of TVs.

BUT, they failed to get the sports package, a liquor permit, ran out of beer etc. etc.  

I agree with the general assessment on why it failed.  I hope it turns around, great location and I will certainly, at very least, give you a try.

LOL @ "Ballerz."  The name just hit the nail on thte head , , ,
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 11:21:09 am »

I'm so there. I can't wait. Every day I drive by that place and complain to myself that it's sitting empty.

I'm really excited to see you going in and I'm so glad that you're moving the direction that you are.

It'll be a new and fresh concept there and I hope/think you'll do well.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 12:42:25 pm »

Where is Hardwoods?  I drove around TU a little this morning and didn't see a place that seemed to obviously be Hardwoods-esque.

Is this happening on 11th?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 01:10:05 pm »

Yes, it is on 11th Street directly across from Skelly Field on the South side of the street.  On the SW corner of Gary and 11th. The building is a single story brick structure with seating out front and 2 entrances.  Gary is immediately to the East and a parking lot is on the West side.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 09:29:37 am »

The best way to describe it is to mention that it has the word "Ballers" painted on the building above the west door and a movie theater style marquee above the other.

It looks hideous.

- Daniel Burnham

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org