A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 03:36:19 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One thing they could do to improve the Fair  (Read 2573 times)
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« on: October 05, 2008, 04:21:40 pm »

Is it really too much to ask that the ride operators NOT SMOKE while they are working?  

I know that it isn't likely that we will be able to make the fair smoke free.  As much as I hate standing in line for a ride, while someone blows smoke in my face, I guess I can deal with it.

But when the operator for the kiddie rides dangles a cigarette out of his mouth while he fastens the kids in to the cars--something is just wrong with that picture.  I don't want to pay money for someone to blow smoke in my kids face.  It's not like they don't get breaks--they are free to smoke then.  Can't they go a few hours without a cigarette?  

I know these people don't get paid much.  I just think that it really isn't that much to ask.  If county wants to promote the fair as a family friendly venue, it would be such a simple step and such a great improvement.  

Did anyone else notice this at the fair?

EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 04:38:43 pm »

I noticed people smoking right up by the entrances to the main QT center by the ramp where ALL the babies were being pushed (including mine) in their strollers. It was lovely.

Wilbur
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 05:34:01 am »

It's the fair.  What do you expect?
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

Mullets.

And I was not disappointed. [Cheesy]

pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 08:35:34 am »

I know it is the fair, and I shouldn't expect much.  But I cannot think of another job that allows you to smoke while you are working--let alone a job that deals with children.  The Fair Board should be embarrassed that people working at the fair with children are smoking on the job.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 08:56:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

I know it is the fair, and I shouldn't expect much.  But I cannot think of another job that allows you to smoke while you are working--let alone a job that deals with children.  The Fair Board should be embarrassed that people working at the fair with children are smoking on the job.

Right after they're embarrassed they removed the best ride at the fair, and that the midway operators are on a no bid contract, and that those same operators rarely have insurance or pay bills, etc.
breitee
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 11:16:26 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

It's Murphy, what do you expect?
MDepr2007
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 12:27:16 pm »

Oh how I miss the good old days when people @itched less......[Wink]
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 01:38:37 pm »

I think they could really use a full-size roller coaster and a log ride.  [xx(]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
inteller
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 01:41:13 pm »

no way!  leave the fair like it is.  It is the only time I get to go observe the marvelous petree dish of carnies, rednecks, and white trash okies.

It is the social equivalent of staring into a bucket of puke while someone is taking a piss in it.  A little might splash on ya but it is still interesting to watch.  So enjoy the second hand smoke, it is all part of the "experience".[}:)]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 01:46:57 pm by inteller » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org