A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 01:21:03 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Highway Signs on Cimarron Turnpike  (Read 2999 times)
BierGarten
Activist

« on: February 25, 2009, 02:10:26 pm »

Has any driven this stretch from Tulsa to Stillwater lately and noticed the duplicative signs that have been erected?  By duplicative I mean ten feet from one another stand the exact same sign (exit signs, mile markers, pay toll, etc...).  No one sign next the other looks old or looks like it needs to be replaced.  I REALLY hope there is a rational explanation for this.  Please inform me if you have it.

dbacks fan
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:39:46 pm »

It's dejavu all over again. There is another thread some where from last year discussing this.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:21:42 pm »

If you close one eye, one of the signs goes away... [Wink]

Actually, I noticed it too.  I guess the old ones had lost that "new sign smell."
dbacks fan
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 08:38:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

If you close one eye, one of the signs goes away... [Wink]

Actually, I noticed it too.  I guess the old ones had lost that "new sign smell."

Was it a preimptive action in hopes of getting money from the stimulus package???[Wink]
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:02:32 pm »

They're probably updating the signs to use Clearview rather than Highway Gothic, like they've done for most of the signs on the Muskogee Turnpike.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:11:52 pm »

They are doing a sign update. They put up the new signs and at a latter date they will remove the old ones.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:26:07 pm »

Yep, it's the Clearview signage update.  Now the signs on the Cimmaron will be just as hard to read as the signs on the Muskogee.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 02:18:40 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

Yep, it's the Clearview signage update.  Now the signs on the Cimmaron will be just as hard to read as the signs on the Muskogee.

I can't say they're harder to read. Maybe no easier in broad daylight, but when the signs are obscured due to rain or other inclement weather, Clearview is significantly better.

Which is sad, because I much prefer the aesthetic of Highway Gothic.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
MDepr2007
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 07:58:54 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

They are doing a sign update. They put up the new signs and at a latter date they will remove the old ones.

Hopefully it works out that way.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 04:35:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

I can't say they're harder to read. Maybe no easier in broad daylight, but when the signs are obscured due to rain or other inclement weather, Clearview is significantly better.

I strongly disagree.  To read the signs on the Muskogee at night, you have to squint your eyes a little bit.  I've never had that problem with the Highway Gothic fonts, especially the "C" and "D" versions of the font.

I do agree that the old font is far more aesthetically pleasing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org