A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 05, 2024, 05:41:42 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traffic lights at I-44 and Peoria  (Read 3073 times)
bugo
Civic Leader

« on: May 19, 2008, 08:21:34 pm »

New traffic lights have been installed at I-44 and Peoria within the last month or so.  Since they're reconstructing I-44 (hopefully) starting in the next couple of years, this seems like a waste.  Unless they plan on using the lights for the new interchange, which will be WAY different than the current configuration (U turn ramps for the frontage roads, for example.)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:23:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

New traffic lights have been installed at I-44 and Peoria within the last month or so.  Since they're reconstructing I-44 (hopefully) starting in the next couple of years, this seems like a waste.  Unless they plan on using the lights for the new interchange, which will be WAY different than the current configuration (U turn ramps for the frontage roads, for example.)

Having U-turn ramps for the frontage roads doesn't dictate the need for a new traffic light system at that intersection.

Plus, my bet is that intersection during the I-44 rebuild probably won't even be complete until this newest traffic light is obsolete, given the way ODOT works...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:50:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

Traffic lights can be moved, you know. If they need some new ones there, they can move the current set elsewhere, or even keep them in storage in case they are later needed.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Who Cares
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:01:12 pm »

So I noticed they are installing new traffic signals here again, what a waste. They just installed the other signals what, nine month ago. And no the city doesnt reuse the light poles, they are scrapped. Signals are custom made for every intersection.
In2neon
Citizen

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:05:48 am »

I noticed the lights when they went in too, and thought the same thing, how ridiculous that they would waste the money to put in lights and tear them down...
Typical city stupidity....
Can someone who knows someone inside the city ask what they were thinking ...
Someone knows the answer....
And yes it is true they will not reuse even nearly new stuff again....
What a joke...
There have been new lights go up at various intersections.... and when they slightly widened the intersection a short time later they put up new lights 6 ft behind the "old" ones , duplicating  everything, and tore down the old ones and probably scrapped them...
And BTW the "engineering" costs ( like this hasn't been done before) and design work is in ridiculously overpriced to boot....
Why can't parts and structures be reused if they fall inside the spec is what I want to know....
This stuff does not age quickly....

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 12:24:30 pm »

"Signalized intersections" are an odd combination of engineering and politics.
Target stores, for instance, has a history of paying municipalities to put up traffic lights in front of their stores.
Apparently it has as much to do with marketing theory as it does traffic flow, but Im guessing that municipalities take into account that they dont pay the whole installation cost and figure "why not?".

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 07:15:44 pm »

"Signalized intersections" are an odd combination of engineering and politics.
Target stores, for instance, has a history of paying municipalities to put up traffic lights in front of their stores.
Apparently it has as much to do with marketing theory as it does traffic flow, but Im guessing that municipalities take into account that they dont pay the whole installation cost and figure "why not?".

Way off topic, but I was in Minnesota last week, and noticed the small towns usually have a Target instead of a Wal Mart and Wal Marts tend to be in the larger towns.  Quite the opposite of OK/AR/MO/KS.  The reason for this is obvious, but I still found it interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org