A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 05:14:08 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Piggley Wiggley Closing  (Read 7011 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 08:30:30 am »

It was a Harvest between Bud's and PW.   Don't remember if there was something between Humpty Dumpty and Buds.  Humpty is the first store I remember in that location.

I hate to see the smaller neighborhood grocery stores going away.  It is very annoying to me to park out in BFE and then walk a block once inside the store for some milk, bread or tp.

I hate to see the historic P.W. stores close. They are part of our past, walking into the store is like stepping back to 1960 except for the prices.. The neighborhood around the Tulsa store is in bad shape. I think P.W. still has stores in other southern states like Georgia & FL. The clerk told me they are looking for a buyer of the closing store and if they find one he may keep the P.W. name.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 08:35:02 am »

Albertson's excuse for abandoning north Tulsa was the shrinkage (shoplifting and employee theft) was way higher than other units.  There's no moral obligation for a grocer to serve a geographic area, especially if that area doesn't show respect for having the convenience of groceries near by. 

Personally, I think that whole section of Admiral is ripe for a make-over (has been for the 25 years I've been driving along there), I simply don't know if it can attract economically viable businesses, other than pawn shops, low-rent furniture stores, car lots, and small engine repair.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 08:52:24 am »

Albertson's excuse for abandoning north Tulsa was the shrinkage (shoplifting and employee theft) was way higher than other units.  There's no moral obligation for a grocer to serve a geographic area, especially if that area doesn't show respect for having the convenience of groceries near by. 

Personally, I think that whole section of Admiral is ripe for a make-over (has been for the 25 years I've been driving along there), I simply don't know if it can attract economically viable businesses, other than pawn shops, low-rent furniture stores, car lots, and small engine repair.
Yeah that whole area is very grim, everything is boarded up, even the homes are falling apart. It's a sign of high crime.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Danny
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 09:03:57 am »

Who remembers the PW on Admiral, between Sheridan and Memorial, later became a Price Mart, then a flea market, or maybe the flea market was before, it was called Flea For All,

and bonus points to whoever remembers that before it was Piggly Wiggly
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 01:54:54 pm »

We used to shop at Humpty Dumpty.

I guess the age of silly-sounding stores is over.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 02:18:45 pm »

Yeah that whole area is very grim, everything is boarded up, even the homes are falling apart. It's a sign of high crime.

You've never been to that specific area in 20 years I'm betting.

I have.  Alot of homes over there are being built that are new.  Make sure you check it out the next time you visit.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacks fan
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 02:26:29 pm »

Who remembers the PW on Admiral, between Sheridan and Memorial, later became a Price Mart, then a flea market, or maybe the flea market was before, it was called Flea For All,

and bonus points to whoever remembers that before it was Piggly Wiggly

It was origanlly a Bell-Scott
Danny
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 03:17:46 pm »

ding ding, we have a winner.
MichaelBates
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 10:14:12 pm »

It was spelled "Belscot" if I recall correctly.

And the jingle went like this:

"Belscot, the together store."

More here

According to this item on Tulsa TV Memories, the discount store / grocery at that location was originally called Jubilee City.

According to this there was one on Peoria, that Tulsa Tech bought for its Peoria campus.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:21:04 pm by MichaelBates » Logged
Oil Capital
City Father

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 07:04:02 am »

I hate to see the historic P.W. stores close. They are part of our past, walking into the store is like stepping back to 1960 except for the prices.. The neighborhood around the Tulsa store is in bad shape. I think P.W. still has stores in other southern states like Georgia & FL. The clerk told me they are looking for a buyer of the closing store and if they find one he may keep the P.W. name.

According to their website, they still have six stores in Ok, including one in Collinsville.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 07:56:59 am »

saw one in Oologah yesterday... or was that in Collinsville and saw it on the way back from Oologah?  That's the bad thing about taking the "scenic" route lol
dbacks fan
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 08:53:22 am »

It was spelled "Belscot" if I recall correctly.

And the jingle went like this:

"Belscot, the together store."

More here

According to this item on Tulsa TV Memories, the discount store / grocery at that location was originally called Jubilee City.

According to this there was one on Peoria, that Tulsa Tech bought for its Peoria campus.

Thanks for the info, I did not remember Jubilee City. The liquor store in the parking lot was called Jubilee when I moved away in '98, used to do my business there since I lived right behind the UAW hall at Pine and Memorial.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org