A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 12, 2024, 10:09:39 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Apartment Managers Legally Responsible for Snow Removal?  (Read 14526 times)
pendo
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 10:10:05 am »

I don't see how removing snow from an apartment parking lot is practical. There is always going to be plenty of cars in the lot. Even more after snow because there will be less people venturing out. Where would the snow plows push the snow? Block all the parked cars in?

Other parking lots it can be done because they will be empty when they are plowed.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 11:44:30 am »

I don't see how removing snow from an apartment parking lot is practical. There is always going to be plenty of cars in the lot. Even more after snow because there will be less people venturing out. Where would the snow plows push the snow? Block all the parked cars in?

Other parking lots it can be done because they will be empty when they are plowed.
They just make multiple passes. Plow everywhere you can, then plow again a day later after most of the cars have migrated to the plowed spaces.

You have to remove the snow in northern climates or else you'd be driving and walking around on several feet of accumulated snow by the end of the winter.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:46:03 am by TheTed » Logged

TheTed
City Father

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 11:48:34 am »

I just assumed there was some snow removal ordinance. I thought that was one of those things in every city, kind of like how you have to mow your lawn.

Grass grows naturally, but you still have to cut it.

And if there's not a shoveling ordinance, there at least has to be something making it illegal to plow giant piles of snow onto the sidewalk, right? You can't just block the public right-of-way.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 09:36:51 pm »

Tulsa also doesn't have enough pedestrians for sidewalk snow removal to be anything other than an afterthought...
When I'm home, I always spread ice melt and kitty litter on my sidewalk since I have to do the steps up to my porch anyway and I prefer to be able to walk in front of my house without falling on my butt. Hopefully that doesn't open me up to liability where none previously existed...

I'm sure my sidewalk has been treacherous lately since I haven't been home since the blizzard.

And as far as not blocking the sidewalk, whether or not it's never enforced. Hell, some people in my neighborhood have removed existing sidewalk.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Radar
Citizen

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 01:26:15 pm »

It seems unreasonable of the management not to remove the snow from the common areas.  Surely they don't expect people who live in an apartment to have a snow shovel handy.  Especially in Tulsa.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 01:44:18 pm »

...  Especially in Tulsa.

Why especially in Tulsa?  Are we "better" than someone from, say, Fargo, ND?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org