A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 07:25:57 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Showing a French tourist America in Tulsa  (Read 6010 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 06:42:50 pm »

We all seem to have forgotten Gilcrease Museum.

brianh
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 07:08:26 pm »

Take him to get a burger at Hank's, then drive him out to Fort Sill(maybe Tinker also). Don't take him to Wal-Mart.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 09:31:30 pm »

I always take out of towners to Wilson's BBQ on north Apache after 2 AM........That way they can get some culture.......

FOTD
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 09:56:50 pm »

I always take out of towners to Wilson's BBQ on north Apache after 2 AM........That way they can get some culture.......

Red hot lips! damn..... the jukebox got broken down once the old man died couple years back. They had the best jukebox in America.

Spent many a 3 AM in there in the 70's and then sunrise in Norman....

Check out Penningtons?

Wait long enough and you'll catch a gun show.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:58:27 pm by FOTD » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 11:59:35 pm »

Spent many a 3 AM in there in the 70's and then sunrise in Norman....

Do you have any recollection of how you got from there to Norman?

dsjeffries
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 02:57:00 pm »

He will be here for two weeks. There is a four day weekend around Valentine's day. I was thinking about taking him to St. Louis to see the Arch, the Mississippi River, the City Museum and some Italian food from Rigazzi's.

I'd take someone to KC before I'd take them to STL, but that's just me. KC has more fountains than any city but Rome; Country Club Plaza's architecture is modeled after Seville; Union Depot is pretty cool; WWII memorial has fantastic vistas; the American Jazz Museum and Baseball Museum at 18th & Vine is wonderful; Truman Presidential Library is interesting; Power & Light District is fun; Nelson-Atkins Museum has a great collection; there are a ton of gorgeous mansions along Ward Parkway, including the Hall mansion (Hallmark cards) and Russell-Stover Mansion; Gates BBQ (or Arthur Bryant's) is a unique experience; the Braves and Royals are there... It's beautiful (and much closer!) and has some great Italian restaurants, as well.

While he's in Tulsa, though, don't forget Philbrook! Many people from other parts of the world NEVER expect to see anything like that in America (let alone Tulsa). Don't forget Gilcrease. Take him to the Greenwood Center and tell him about the Riot. Everyone has to see the Praying Hands and the Golden Driller. And if you want good, local BBQ, visit Mac's Barbecue in Skiatook on your way to Woolaroc! I bet he's not seen bison in person before.

Et n'oubliez pas que je parle français. Si tu as besoin d'un traducteur, tu as mon numéro!

(And might I add how funny it is that we're all the time screaming to the rest of the country, "We've got hills and trees!" and many of the posts in this discussion have been, "Show him how flat and empty it is!" Smiley)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:01:48 pm by dsjeffries » Logged
buckeye
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 03:33:33 pm »

The best American experience?  Ask him to come back sometime other than February!

Gilcrease for sure.  Barbeque, too.

Go out to some place like Stigler on the weekend and have breakfast at the local diner.  Strike up a conversation with some ol' Okie and young Mr. France will know America.

My guess is that he won't want to spend a lot of time riding around in a car, but some travel might demonstrate how much more land there is here.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 03:36:45 pm »

Show him some of the sights along Route 66.  Even Europeans know about the Mother Road, and it's a popular attraction for touring.  Oklahoma has more miles of the original road than any other state.  Get him a copy of Jim Ross's excellent "Oklahoma Route 66" as a souvenir.  And take him to Steve's Sundries to get it.  There's even one Rt 66 book that details all the food along the way, including the barbecue joints. 

+1 on Ed's suggestions, I'd also offer him a copy of Michael Wallis' Rte. 66 book.

Simply drive Route 66 from Tulsa to OKC- Rock Cafe, the Round Barn, Pops, those are just a few things off the top of the head that can make that a memorable 1/2 day drive, or all weekend bike ride, if so inclined.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org