A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 05:31:51 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crawl Space Sump Pump  (Read 3348 times)
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« on: August 26, 2010, 03:14:38 pm »

Sold my house and discovered through inspections that there is some ground water and dampness in the crawl space.  They're recommending a vapor barrier and a sump pump be installed.  Anyone ever had this done by a local company?  I called my landscaper and he seemed familiar with the idea, but not CONFIDENT.  I want it done right. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 03:26:12 pm »

Sold my house and discovered through inspections that there is some ground water and dampness in the crawl space.  They're recommending a vapor barrier and a sump pump be installed.  Anyone ever had this done by a local company?  I called my landscaper and he seemed familiar with the idea, but not CONFIDENT.  I want it done right. 

Sump pump? In a crawl space?  How on earth would you go about that?  I'm assuming it's all dirt correct?  Is this your house in Florence Park?   I didn't think the water table was that high.  I had seepage issues in the basement of the house I had on Gary Pl., but never heard of crawl space dampness unless the plumbing broke.  Might want a second opinion.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 03:36:16 pm »

My parents lived in Johansen Acres from 1957 to 2000 and the only time they had water in the crawl space was durin the three times the neighborhood flooded in the 70's and 1984. never had a problem otherwise.
buckeye
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 03:39:36 pm »

Not terribly uncommon.  Good way to deal with water down there is to dig a small set of trenches that empty into a hole with a sump pump in it.  A number of houses in my neighborhood have standing water in the crawlspace during the "rainy season".
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:39:25 pm »

Call Damon Neafus at Watertite Inc........

Quinton
Activist

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:50:00 pm »

Graingers at pine and Hwy 169 has all sorts of sump pumps and im sure could advise a good company.

Liberalism is a mental disorder
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:02:06 pm »

Something about this sounds wonky.  Get more input.

Vapor barrier over dirt (or concrete) will keep moisture under the barrier, but will let it 'stew' and probably create bigger problems unless the cause of the moisture is found and corrected.  If coming from outside, then need drain around outside.  If coming from inside, there is a leak.

Is dampness new?  And can it be corrected by just opening the footing vents.  That is the preferred method to allow air circulation.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 11:56:19 am »

Why not just drain out the water by digging a trench- unless the ground is sloped toward your house, or something- where is the water coming from? do they know? I would just  dig a trench under the foundation wall or install a drain pipe that drains under the wall at the location where it floods. I never heard of a sump pump there or the use of vapor barrier. I'm new to the area and came from a place that has basements. Best of luck.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 05:21:37 pm »

I guarantee you had a sump pump in that basement.  Or a lot of humidity and mold.

Some crawl spaces need pump, some don't, but usually around here, it need a pump, there is something strange going on.  Leaking somewhere.  And if it is wet today after the hot dry spell we have just gone through, it is guaranteed there is a leak, 'cause there sure ain't any natural ground water left around now.  Water or drain pipe.  Somewhere under the rainbow!  Er, uh, ..... house.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 07:35:50 pm »

I guarantee you had a sump pump in that basement.  Or a lot of humidity and mold.

Some crawl spaces need pump, some don't, but usually around here, it need a pump, there is something strange going on.  Leaking somewhere.  And if it is wet today after the hot dry spell we have just gone through, it is guaranteed there is a leak, 'cause there sure ain't any natural ground water left around now.  Water or drain pipe.  Somewhere under the rainbow!  Er, uh, ..... house.

We had a basement in Pennsylvania.  I remember it being kind of humid but there wasn't enough water for a sump pump.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org