A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2024, 12:17:55 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'd like to survey OK Congress this same way  (Read 2621 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: September 28, 2010, 07:36:30 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rel_religious_literacy_poll

Survey: Americans don't know much about religion

Maybe there'd be less litigation when it comes to pushing some sort of religion on others if they 'd try to understand their own.
Smokinokie
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 12:08:52 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rel_religious_literacy_poll

Maybe there'd be less litigation when it comes to pushing some sort of religion on others if they 'd try to understand their own.

What did you expect? People tend to be closed minded when it comes to belief, as opposed to knowledge.
 I consider myself a spiritual person more than a religious person.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:36:44 pm »

It amuses me that the agnostic and atheist respondents were, on average, more knowledgeable about religion than the believers.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 05:39:44 pm »

It would be very difficult to be knowledgable about a religion and still be a devoted follower.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:53:55 pm by azbadpuppy » Logged

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:14:55 pm »

It would be very difficult to be knowledgable about a religion and still be a devoted follower.

I don't think that's really true. There are a lot of educated believers. They tend to be less strict in their application of the scripture and more understanding of its fallibility from a religious standpoint, but still believe in the main thrust of the religion. I think the common resolution in their mind is that, the scriptures are not necessarily a true and accurate recounting of God's word, due to the involvement of Man in writing everything down (and later rewriting it).

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:45:20 pm »

I don't think that's really true. There are a lot of educated believers. They tend to be less strict in their application of the scripture and more understanding of its fallibility from a religious standpoint, but still believe in the main thrust of the religion. I think the common resolution in their mind is that, the scriptures are not necessarily a true and accurate recounting of God's word, due to the involvement of Man in writing everything down (and later rewriting it).

You're not religious are you? You are way too rational.  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org