A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 04:19:30 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name change? Brady Tavern is now 'The Tavern'.  (Read 1835 times)
mobboss
Activist

« on: March 05, 2012, 11:01:22 pm »

We went in for dinner last night, first notice was on the website, no sighting of the Brady name, and the neon sign has been changed too. Perhaps a way to distance themselves from Tate Brady's sullied actions in the early days of Tulsa.

Anyone else have insight on the reason behind the change?

zach

rdj
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 08:12:57 am »

That's the reason.  The stakeholders in this part of downtown are continuing to distance themselves from the actions of Tate Brady.

Check the archives and ownership of This Land Press (& McNellies Group) for more explanation around this name change.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
bacjz00
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10:59 am »

So doesn't it stand to reason that all references to Brady should be changed, including the theatre which apparently has no direct links to the man? Otherwise we just create further division amongst Tulsans for this area. 

Given the information that has been recently publicized about Tate Brady, it only seems right to re-brand this entire district.  Not sure if one can pull that off without a mass-marketing campaign given the long standing nomenclature for this part of town, however I would be in favor.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:21:13 am »

I am a native Tulsan, and this is the first time I've read of much of this. Astounding. It makes me sad and angry that OKC seems to have the records of such and This Land had to go there to get the real history. Tulsa World owed us more than that. Sure explains a lot about our anti-labor, racist attitudes that are so prevalent here too promoted by generations not far removed from the Tate Brady era. I had no idea that the Confederacy had such deep roots here.

Brady was a product of his time no doubt and the Klan was originally more fraternal in nature rather than evil. It appears that T. Brady moved away from the Klan. Nonetheless, we should look at area landmarks like Lee School, Brady Theater and the Blair Mansion and reconsider them in terms of their real history.

Depressing to see much of the same attitude around here that was the driving force in the early part of the 20th century.

onward...through the fog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org