A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 04:23:42 am
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car Buying Time  (Read 29137 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2013, 09:01:59 pm »

It started to sink in that evening what he had done and he had a anxiety attack and could not sleep all night. He returned Saturday morning and wanted to return the car and found out that Oklahoma is one of the States that does not have a right to recission law.
The sales rep told him that he needs to keep it and have it work towards his credit rating and in a year go to a bank or credit union and refinance it at a lower rate.
Is this really how Car Dealerships have gotten? or has it been that long since I have done the new car dance?

Some are much worse, but that one in particular is VERY bad.  They keep changing the name to try to deflect and get people to think they are different. but ever since that place was built, the dealers there have been very shady.   I have 3 family members that have gotten sucked in at that place - even after I ranted and raved at them...maybe because I ranted and raved at them.  Each said later they wished they had listened.  Expensive lessons are the ones you learn the best, though.

Go for the credit union method - if he joins one and gets established, he probably can refinance at 5% or so.... unless he has totally trashed his record.

I have never before had very good things to say about a car dealer, and not about to start now, but I did buy a car from a small used car dealer in BA last August and was absolutely stunned at how little hassle I got, and how well (smoothly) the transaction worked.  Caveat; I paid cash, it was a rainy Saturday, and I was told I was only the 3rd person to come in that day - probably BS, but it was very slow - no one else was there at the time I was.  (Flexible Auto Finance) 

I have even been back to look for another vehicle, and have come close to buying one, but we were just too far apart...and it wasn't exactly what I wanted.  And I noticed a few days ago, there is a 1982 Olds Cutlass in stock that I may have to go check out this weekend....

They are somehow associated with Matthews Ford in BA - I think Matthews acts like a clearinghouse for clerical work involved in the deal.  And they add about $250 on every deal to cover that....it will be included in the price, but shown as a separate line item.  That seemed strange to me.

And never forget, a used car dealer is still a used car dealer.  Consider any transaction as a stand alone, final event.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2013, 09:19:03 pm »

Worked.  Not in the business anymore.

I'm never surprised to hear how much of an opinion someone has about the business when they've never been in it or were in it so long ago, that it's completely different.

I've heard "I used to be in the business" many times from people who were clueless about the business.

Your thoughts on this subject are about as valuable as your financial and political thoughts.

Zing!!  Take that, Gaspar!!

I have never been in the business, but have dealt with dealers from time to time.  Two stand out in my memory - the guy I mentioned earlier - and the Toyota dealership that was in Tulsa in the 70's near 36th and Sheridan.  Can't remember their name, but bought cars there and was impressed with the guy I dealt with.  Also bought cars from Pennington Olds, later Bailey Olds.  Liked the cars, but never really satisfied with the dealer experience.

Fowler in OKC seems ok, but we haven't been able to get together on a deal, despite having tried seriously twice to buy trucks from them - the attempt was a reasonable experience.

The rest I have visited have either screwed me royally on service (Reynold's Ford - Norman, OK) or just acted so badly during the process that I was repelled, left and won't go back.  The Chevy at BA and 145th East Avenue.  And the one just south of I-44 on east side of Memorial, and the big flag guy on west side of river.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2013, 08:26:47 am »

I have an agenda when I shop for a vehicle.  I find what I want online, I go down to the lot to see and test drive.  If I like what I see and feel I go to attempt the deal.  I give them my keys to evaluate the trade, and promptly ask for my keys when they are done.  If at any point they keep me sitting for longer than I consider reasonable, the deal is done and I walk out.  If they say that someone else is interested in the vehicle, I say that apparently their dealership is not interested in my money and leave.  I believe in negotiating in good faith, it is the way I have been trained. 

With that being said, I have had great dealings with Jackie Cooper, Imports and BMW/Mini in OKC, Bob Moore Subaru in OKC, and Honda of BVille.  I refuse to deal with dealerships that use their kids in commercials. 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org