A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 01:07:15 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Fairgrounds 1930s - 1950s Photos  (Read 6630 times)
AMP
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:55:18 pm »

Photo of the West side of the Fairgrounds in the 1930-1940s.  Close to where Bell's Amusement Park was built later.  Seems it was a parking lot before and has become one once again.  History does repeat itself?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 09:29:05 am »

The best part of that photo to be is the lack of mature trees in the neighborhood. That first block of houses is BARREN!  I suppose people then complained about the characterless sprawl on the outskirts of town.  [Tongue]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:31:16 am »

So you thing there'll be an amusement park there in 70 or so years?
AMP
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 10:23:26 am »

Here is a shot from the 1930s of the Tulsa Fairgrounds at 21st and Yale area.

They had both a 1/2 mile and a 1/5 mile dirt track there.  Notice that Yale ends at 21st to the south and 21st did not go past Yale to the east then.

"Looking east at the Tulsa State Fairgrounds in the 1930s. The fairgrounds is bordered by Louisville on the west, Yale on the east, 15th and 21st Streets on north and south.The new arena building is at the lower left. The International Petroleum Exposition (IPE) complex is on the right. The racetrack and stands are at the top."

AMP
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 10:45:16 am »

Plans from the early days...

AMP
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 11:54:46 am »

Few more homes in later days ...

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 04:33:30 pm »

Omg, I had forgotten all about those old water towers that used to be there.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
NCTulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 06:30:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Here is a shot from the 1930s of the Tulsa Fairgrounds at 21st and Yale area.

They had both a 1/2 mile and a 1/5 mile dirt track there.  Notice that Yale ends at 21st to the south and 21st did not go past Yale to the east then.

"Looking east at the Tulsa State Fairgrounds in the 1930s. The fairgrounds is bordered by Louisville on the west, Yale on the east, 15th and 21st Streets on north and south.The new arena building is at the lower left. The International Petroleum Exposition (IPE) complex is on the right. The racetrack and stands are at the top."

Correct me if I am wrong, but that's not "Yale" that ends at 21st .... but rather that is an interior drive for the fairgrounds .... probably the same one that currently intersects with 21st at the traffic light next to the Microtel.

OR, are you talking about what's at the far end of the pic .... not really visible?

Great pictures though.  Thank you for sharing them!

AMP
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 09:47:24 am »

It is at the upper right hand corner of the photo, which in that shot is torn off.  I have another in a coffee table book that I will scan in. It shows a wider angle of the surrounding area.  There are homes on the west side of 15th in that photo and Yale and 21st end where they meet from the south and west.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org