A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 04:24:40 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Made in China  (Read 4303 times)
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« on: September 27, 2007, 10:45:40 pm »

Does it bother you when you pick up some expensive shoes or clothing and see the tag displaying those dreaded words (at least to me), made in China?

I was about to purchase a pair of Coach shoes at Dillards today for $168.00.  Once I saw that they were made in China, I put them back and got me some Italian shoes (made in Brazil).  Somehow I have more confidence in Brazillian made shoes.

To me, if they're making my Coach in China, prices ought to be much lower!!

cyndezu
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 04:22:08 am »

pffft. Absolutley.
I  would have done the same thing.
 Their quality products rank right up there with cracker  jack prizes.
Made in china is your assurence they are as cheaply mass produced as possible.
imho, Italian is much nicer anyway.

cyndezu[Cheesy]
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 07:09:57 am »

Depends.

Some products are just as well made in China.  If there is no inherent skill needed to make the product nor high quality desired - China is probably the best place to make it.  Doing so in the USA would be a waste of American labor.

However, if quality of workmanship or product is desired - China is still a risk.   I have advised the company I work for NOT to use Chinese products in any load-bearing capacity.  The risk is too high if there is any exposure to us. I just don't trust their quality.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 07:24:54 am »

"Made In China" is getting to be a bigger dreaded phrase than most any other right now. Have of Toys-R-Us has been recalled at this point (they had another recall yesterday) thanks to the outsourcing of these items. The trade-off is that with unionized american labor, hotwheels would likely cost you $3 instead of 97c.

Not sure what I think of brazilians with italians, unless that just means the shoes are hairless, which I'm okay with.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 08:45:37 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Not sure what I think of brazilians with italians, unless that just means the shoes are hairless, which I'm okay with.

And Sg. gets the coolest reference of the week award.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
inteller
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 02:24:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

And Sg. gets the coolest reference of the week award.

no, that would mean there is a small strip of hair on them.

remember it takes two to tango....as mattel has recently admited, they were the ones pushing cheap specs for the chinese to meet.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 04:56:28 pm »

Chinas Q.C. has been sucking hind tit for some time...I dont trust any products from there.....Braums Apple Juice use to have China on the label for the concentrate the juice is made from....I quit buying it....But noticed China is no longer listed on the the label.....

HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 09:44:43 am »

I understand that a label can say "made in USA" and what they really mean is that the LABEL is made here, not the item.  Anyone else hear this?

My husband is trying his darndest to avoid buying anything made in China.  I ordered an tea kettle online that's made in England. Yes it cost me mucho dinero, but I've read reviews and people rate this kettle really high. I paid $90 online (Williams-Sonoma sells it for $115 + tax).  We could have paid a lot less for one from China, but I refused.  My knives are made in Germany (costly but will last a life time), and my pots and pans are French made.  Cutlery US made.

We need to avoid (as much as possible) buying China made crap. Maybe then the manufacturers might notice?  I'd rather pay $3 for that toy than .97 cents!

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 11:36:57 am »

I think its going to be fascinating to watch what happens with China in the next 20 years or so.  Usually when a society gets a large enough middle class, that is when you begin to see a lot of changes. Happened in europe when those uppity traders and mercantile people started demanding changes in the laws, governments, property rights etc. from the aristocracy. Its the middle class that begins to be concerned with the environment, quality and safety of products, etc.  

Here is an interesting thought to ponder.  When I look around the world and imagine how the winds of change will blow... I see something like this happening.

In time China will become one of the most powerful countries on the planet. (probably after a downswing) They will maintain a form of government much like what they have now. This form of government is able to act quickly and descisively with issues by decree. Whether it be pollution controls, crime,  education, control of the excesses of the media and internet, or economic policy. This will be envied by many in the western world, particularly the US. Little by little our politicians and people will nudge our system and form of government to be like theirs (not by actually saying or intending to be like China, but never the less by promoting policies that will in the end have that effect ) with a stronger federal government, possibly a much stronger president, in a mistaken attempt to be able to match Chinas perceived nimbleness, growing wealth, low crime, health, education, etc.  But at the expense of our liberty, our messy democracy.

The first real hints of this wont start happening for another 15 years or so, but in 20 or so, you will definitely begin to see what I am talking about.  

All this barring we dont destroy ourselves in some global world war, asteroid from outer space, or the second coming. Which all indications seem to point to them all as happening in the 2030's. [Cheesy]

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Steve
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:50:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by HoneySuckle

Does it bother you when you pick up some expensive shoes or clothing and see the tag displaying those dreaded words (at least to me), made in China?

I was about to purchase a pair of Coach shoes at Dillards today for $168.00.  Once I saw that they were made in China, I put them back and got me some Italian shoes (made in Brazil).  Somehow I have more confidence in Brazillian made shoes.

To me, if they're making my Coach in China, prices ought to be much lower!!

These issues have bothered me too for several years now.  But I think for someone or something to blame, we U.S. citizens need only look into a mirror.

The U.S. is no longer a manufacturing economy but more of a service based economy.  There is not a single television set manufactured in the U.S. anymore.  Nearly 100% of all shoes bought in this country are imported.  And on, and on, and on.  Our insatiable appetite for cheap consumer products has brought about this transition, and I am just as guilty as anyone else.

I was grocery shopping a few months ago and picked up a can of Dole pineapple.  For some reason, I read the label and it said "product of Chile."  I thought Dole pineapple came from the U.S.-Hawaii!  Foolish me.

I have heard stories lately of people in the U.S. trying to purchase and survive from 100% U.S. manufactured goods.  It is nearly impossible.  I suppose it is just a natural evolution of rising standards of living and product sellers trying to hold down costs through cheap overseas labor.  Maybe when laborers overseas finally wise up and organize, demanding living wages and decent conditions, then the cost benefit of importing/vs. local manufacture will disappear.  And to be fair, the problem also exists in this country too, with clothing manufacturers hiring undocumented workers at piece-good rates to satisfy the price demands of large retailers.  I understand Los Angeles is full of clothing sweatshops paying illegals slave wages.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org