A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 02:30:10 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When eating at a restaurant how do you tip?  (Read 9120 times)
Wrinkle
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 01:47:27 pm »

Pet peave: Server ices you for 30-minutes, brings your salad, then two minutes later brings the main course. Tip=$0

Nick Danger
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 02:30:53 pm »

How do you feel about tipping for a buffet meal, where the server may only bring you a drink and remove used plates? I don't think this warrants a 15% tip, but what should it be?

Nick
buzz words
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 03:45:21 pm »

at a buffet the average check is less than $20.00 for four people.  Is $4.00 really a lot? The CheesCake Factory Charges their servers 4% of sales, Mahagony Charges 5%, The melting Pot Charges 3%, So at Mahagony and the cheesecake Factory they are taking practically 20% of the tip.  Also neither company pays over $2.30 an hour.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by buzz words

at a buffet the average check is less than $20.00 for four people.  Is $4.00 really a lot? The CheesCake Factory Charges their servers 4% of sales, Mahagony Charges 5%, The melting Pot Charges 3%, So at Mahagony and the cheesecake Factory they are taking practically 20% of the tip.  Also neither company pays over $2.30 an hour.

HOw do you get 20% out of 4%?  I am not following your math.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 04:28:46 pm »

Depends on the restaurant and service.  If I'm at BBD, and my total is like $8.00, I'm going to tip more than 15% of that.  I'll tip at least $2 or $3, which still seems small, since they work their staff pretty hard there.  But if I'm at Chalkboard and my total is a lot higher for one person, I'll tip closer to 15%.  At most places I just double the tax and round up the total.  Even bad service I give around 15%, but sometimes I cut off a dollar or two.

I hate how restaurants like Pei Wei set it up where you pay first, then they still have a tip line on the CC receipt.  Makes me feel stingy to put zero.

jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 04:38:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I start at 20% for my baseline and go up or down 5%.  I go over and above when I get great service from a working student or a young single mother type, because I appreciate what they are trying to accomplish and I know there are some tightwads who will tie up a table for two hours and leave a $5.00 tip on a $100 tab.

I never stiff anyone for poor service (leave nothing).  If you don't leave a tip, they assume you forgot and they will never "get it".

I've worked in food service and have friends who have/do.  I tend to understand when it's a kitchen problem or server problem and don't penalize the server when I know the chef just went out back and wasted 10 minutes smoking a blunt.

+1 on all of this - my actual method is divide the total bill by 4 and subtract for less than 105% of my expectations - so usually 20% standard. If they give 110% they definitely get more.  I also, always add a bit if I am camping at a table for drinks or conversation.  If I can't afford to do that, I can't afford to eat out!

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
buzz words
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 04:46:17 pm »

Sorry for the confusion.  On a $20.00 order if they tip 20% ($4.00) the server tips 4% of the check .80 cents 20% of $4.00 is .80 cents. Does that make scents?  At the end of the night $500.00 in sales if every one tips 20% ($100) the server would tip $20 20% of the tip and you know the irs will take their 18-20 percent.  If you are caught not claiming the total tip you are fired!!  And you are taxed on money that you never kept.  It is a little crazy.....
mdunn
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 05:41:11 pm »

I only eat Ramon Noodles at home,This saves me lots of $$$ on tips
HazMatCFO
Civic Leader

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 07:30:39 pm »

I start at 20%, then depending upon service I go up or down.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 07:46:29 pm »

I tend to think I am a pretty good tipper, but some of you put me to shame! I'm not high maintanence but I do ask for certain things.

1.  My drink (whether its pop, water or alcohol) never get empty
2.  My food is hot and prepared the way I asked
3.  The server is clean and courteous.

If they do those things then I am tipping 20%.  

I have told several people at a few different restaurants that if my glass is ever empty, I will absolutely not leave a tip.  It always worked too!

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 11:29:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TUalum0982

I tend to think I am a pretty good tipper, but some of you put me to shame! I'm not high maintanence but I do ask for certain things.

I have told several people at a few different restaurants that if my glass is ever empty, I will absolutely not leave a tip.  It always worked too!

Neat and clean server brings to mind something else.  How does everyone else feel about being served by some kid who looks like they just did a face-plant in a tackle box?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
mr.jaynes
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 12:59:21 am »

quote:
Originally posted by buzz words

Server's at almost all Tulsa restaurants are paid $2.15 per hour.  What do you base your tip percentage on?  Most restaurants charge the server on average 4-5% of their sales as a "tip out" amount to be spread amongst "the helpers" $100.00 sale the servers pay $4.00 to their helpers.

If you normally tip 20% what does it take to tip out more than normal?

I tip very generously: call it reaping what you sow, call it Karma, call it what comes around goes around, but as I work in tipped positions, it does come back to me. If I'm generous to others, others are generous to me.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 05:21:23 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by TUalum0982

Neat and clean server brings to mind something else.  How does everyone else feel about being served by some kid who looks like they just did a face-plant in a tackle box?

I have no problem asking to be seated somewhere else.  When I go to a restaurant to eat, I dont want to be appalled by the person who is waiting on me.  It shouldnt be too hard to ask that I am going to do business with that establishment, to have a waitstaff that is clean, professional looking and courteous!

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org