A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 01:30:31 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fema Compliance Cost (Ice Sotrm)  (Read 6044 times)
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 01:38:57 am »

From what Im told, the job of the monitor is the keep track of how much debris by volume is removed.  I wonder why they can't just do this at the dumping sites?  Perhaps they need someone watching incase there is some sort of dispute about property damage (like the truck accidentally ran over someone's guilded lawn gnome or some nonsense) ?

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 08:49:13 am »

Well, I'm as much for protecting yard gnomes as the next guy - but this seems over the top.  Seriously, offload the trucks and go "yep, another full truck.  That's 12 cubic yard.  It took him 45 minutes to collect it, he drove 17 miles. Seems about right.  NEXT!"

For $1.5 million I'd give a $1.4 million guarantee it was done perfectly and be willing to pay for discrepancies to that amount.  Anyone want in, equal cuts of the government booty.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 06:52:47 am »

The Tulsa World was reading the forum (obviously!) and decided to do some research for us:

quote:
Why does it cost so much?  Solid Resources Inc. is, of course, out to make a profit. But the company is incurring significant labor expenses to do the job.

It will cost more than $1 million to hire temporary local workers at $15 per hour for 12 or more hours a day, seven days a week for at least 60 days.

That total doesn't include the salary for its full-time management team and housing them for two months.

George said the city is protecting its interests by hiring the company for the job.

Most local and state governments need the help.

"You don't want the federal government to come back and deduct millions of dollars from a reimbursement claim because something wasn't handled properly," he said. "I know of situations where that has happened."

Strizek said the monitoring only makes sense after the publicity surrounding fraudulent claims made in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita along the Gulf Coast.

"We all know of the false claims that were filed down there -- an estimated half- billion dollars' worth -- so the government is extra cautious," he said.

"Tulsa is doing what's right and what's recommended."

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 08:18:30 am »

News flash!!!

The company hired to do the compliance says it's recommended to hire a company to do the compliance.  

That's some fine work there Lou.
- - -

Honestly, I don't know the system.  It probably is the right thing to do in the system, spend 1.5mil to save 3mil.  Makes sense.  BUT what I'm saying is that system sucks.  Just seems insane.  If it cost 53% to comply with tax laws I'd just have my company send in an extra 25% and blow up the compliance.

"You don't want... then to come back and deduct millions of dollars."

Well, actually, depending on the number of millions it STILL might be a good deal.  Assuming the new estimates of $9,000,000 are correct that gives a compliance cost of $4.77 mil.  We if we blew that off and they came back and revoked $4 million in reimbursement we still come out ahead.

What a stupid system.  What's worse, this man has his life staked on it and will now do everything in his power to protect the system. For better or worse, it's built in and relied  on now so it isn't going away.  Sounds like government to me. [V]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 08:37:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

That's some fine work there Lou.

Is that Fargo?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 11:27:19 am »

The Simpson's.  Chief Wiggam has been known to say "That's some fine detective work there Lou." Or something along those lines.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
spoonbill
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 03:54:50 pm »

Talked to my "Monitor" on Wednesday.  Apparently he doesn't drive behind the trucks much.  There is about 1 monitor for every 6 to 8 trucks.  They have designated check areas where he sits in a parking lot and the full trucks have to drive by and check-in before they unload.  He has a clip-board where he gathers the paperwork showing each address they processed.  He also has a pen.

He, and many of the other monitors are being put up at the hotel on 51st and Harvard, and spend their evenings at Taboo if you would like to talk to them.  His exact quote "Why don't yous guys have total nude in Oklahoma?"

It's an excellent example of why you should stay in school.  You see. . . a well educated person (GED or equivalent) can sit in a car all day, get paid by the government.  And, he can spend that money watching naked ladies till 4a.m.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 04:11:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by spoonbill

. . . he can spend that money watching naked ladies till 4a.m.

I daresay, sir, that's the Great American Way. The naked lady part, anyway.  

Though remember, Oklahoma doesn't allow full nude. So we're talking mostly-naked ladies.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 04:19:02 pm »

That explains the snoozing monitor that grahambino spotted.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 08:48:45 am »

Great.  Just great.  Now we are really up sh*t creek!

We thought Tulsa was having trouble finding quality workers before.  Now these guys will go home and tell everyone that we don't have full nude.  Now we'll NEVER attract young educated workers.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org