A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 09:09:32 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious Phone Spam  (Read 8276 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: July 02, 2014, 09:06:12 am »

Recently have gotten some curious phone spam/telemarketing on my cellphone.  Phone rings, look at the number and it's from Owasso and think, "Oh, perhaps it's a client, family member, or friend." but each time it's spam.  First off I thought telemarketing calls like this were illegal in Oklahoma?  But regardless it's wrong, and I hang up quickly.  

Try this one for instance… Says it comes from Owasso    918-376-0769    and says its from Carnival Cruise lines but apparently is actually an interactive computerized voice system.  

This one also from Owasso 918-928-3411  is for some type of auto insurance.

What's curious to me is that both of these come from Owasso?  Which seems odd.  Is some company from out of state filtering calls through bogus numbers in Owasso so that people here will think it's a legitimate local call?  Is some company or person in Owasso making money off being a "middle man" for other spam companies?  

Highly suspect that multiple recent spam calls have been coming from Owasso.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
rebound
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:08:33 am »

I've received a few of those myself, but I assumed they were spoofing it that way because I live in Owasso.  Definitely have ramped up recently.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:36 am »

Have you signed up for any promotions at home shows, the fair, or ?? lately?  I don’t get any spam on my cell phone that’s the only reason I’m curious.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 11:27:16 am »

It's more than likely spoofing, which isn't illegal that I know of, and easy to do. The only time I believe that it's illegal is if you are on the do not call list, and then you have to file through the state AG office. I helped set up under cover officers with a way to do it so they could use phones at work to set up buy bust operations.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:48:05 pm »

I have been getting multiple phone calls daily for about 3 weeks now from Refresh Air. Never left a message, but kept seeing the calls on my caller ID. Yeah we still have a landline, sigh....

Anyway I happened to have the day off yesterday and was home when they called. I see the name pop up, answer and they start in telling me I've won something, I think it was a vacation, for some survey I supposedly took. I told them I had never taken a survey, did now know how they got my number and to stop calling. Curious to see if they have called again when I get home tonight.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 03:19:05 pm »

Have you signed up for any promotions at home shows, the fair, or ?? lately?  I don’t get any spam on my cell phone that’s the only reason I’m curious.

nope

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 03:20:46 pm »

nope

When you answered, did you get the pleasant sound of a ship's horn?

If so, you might get it a few more times and then it will end.  That's been my experience.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 08:53:22 pm »

When you answered, did you get the pleasant sound of a ship's horn?

If so, you might get it a few more times and then it will end.  That's been my experience.

No, got those a while back too though lol.  These are different and whats unusual is that the number is local and there to see which isn't the usual modus operandi.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:48:46 am »

Nobody ever calls me.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 06:59:43 am »

Nobody ever calls me.

Post your #
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 08:55:07 am »

We had a couple of calls with Chandler on the caller ID. When I figured out it was a telemarketer, I hung up on them. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, being a nicer and far more polite person, will listen to their entire spiel, saying, "No, I don't want that" over and over. She's sweet. I'm not.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Quinton
Activist

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 07:12:13 am »

The latest I get is calls from my own number that Cox says is peddlers.

Liberalism is a mental disorder
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 07:15:10 am »

I love that the iPhone has a call block feature. It has drastically reduced the telemarketing calls I get.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 11:09:03 pm »

There is an IRS scam ongoing for quite a while that calls from a number with 202 area code - Washington, DC.  They are particularly obnoxious and become very profane if you call them back time after time to waste their time in same fashion.  Now that I think of it, it is time to call them again!!!

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-202-506-8798

If you wanna have some fun, and are bored some day, give them a call....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org