A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 05:10:27 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vancouver 2010 - Winter Olympics  (Read 3149 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: January 02, 2010, 09:38:34 pm »

The Olympics start in about 6 weeks (February 12th).

I also look forward to the games and cheer unabashedly for the Americans to do well. I especially like the ski jumpers and the biathalon (where they cross-country ski, then shoot guns).

Does anybody else care about these games?

Power is nothing till you use it.
rwarn17588
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:56:28 pm »

I also look forward to the games and cheer unabashedly for the Americans to do well. I especially like the ski jumpers and the biathalon (where they cross-country ski, then shoot guns).

I only care about the sports in which you have a scoreboard or a clock. I can dig hockey or downhill speedskating for those reasons.

I hold great disdain for "sports" (figure skating, for example) in which frikkin' judges give you points for highly subjective notions about beauty or deduct points because the accompanying music wasn't banal enough. So it didn't surprise me a few years ago when there was a scandal involving those judges.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:05:20 pm »

I'm drawn to the speed events like giant slalom and the short track speed skating.  There was a time I would have tried that short track.  A co-worker insists that 'real' sports involve a ball or a substitute for a ball.  Hockey would be a real sport, but skiing, luge, and figure skating are only types of transportation.

Still, I think the Olympics would be more fun if ordinary people could relate to it better.  We'd have to eliminate many of the high-tech features of modern winter competition and resort to a simpler, less structured set of events, something like the Kid Olympics in my childhood.  Our bobsled run started in the Allshouse yard, descended over a couple of bumps through two or three other yards, then plunged into an abandoned apple orchard where the goal was to avoid hitting a tree at high speed.  It was not a timed event.  The 'winner' was the kid who wiped out most spectacularly.

We played ice hockey too, which most often devolved into a brawl on skates, just like its adult counterpart.  But unlike the adult version, there were no referees to separate the combatants, no penalty boxes, and no rules.  Trudging home wet, cold, and bleeding merely hardened our resolve to 'win' the next contest.  And no one ever mentioned the fights to parents because we'd be barred from any further hockey games.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:33:12 pm »

...  A co-worker insists that 'real' sports involve a ball or a substitute for a ball. 

I think your co-worker is too restrictive in his definition of sports.  I go with the definition including a non-subjective winner of an event that involves a human physical activity.  I would include motor sports as more than transportation. Try telling the winner of the Indy 500, Daytona or a Formula One (and many others) race that there was no physical effort required. Pictures I've seen of the America's Cup sailboat races don't have any with the crews relaxing with a drink during the race.  Athletic competition is a subset of sports.

USRufnex
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:49:04 pm »

I'm up to see speed skating, hockey, skiing, bobsledding, and watching female figure skaters fall on their butts to the tune of Bizet's Carmen..... the opening/closing ceremonies will be held at B.C. Place Stadium....

Downtown Vancouver including proposed new roof on B.C. Place Stadium for 2011....

But I wouldn't be a proper Tulsa soccer guy if I didn't mention at least a couple of local connections to Canuckville.....

Tulsa seemed to be enamored with Vancouver architect Bing Thom, who designed "The Channels"....

....and the River improvements proposed by Kaiser....

On the waterfront: Designer goes with river's flow
By BRIAN BARBER World Staff Writer
Published: 7/23/2006  9:12 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=060723_Ne_A21_Desig7205&archive=yes

B.C. Place Stadium first opened in 1983 and hosted Soccer Bowl '83.....

October 10, 1983
Blowing Out The Blizzard
Tulsa won Soccer Bowl '83 with a little assist from the NASL boss
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1121360/index.htm
This was Tulsa's fourth game in 10 days, and it had been just 48 hours since the Roughnecks had gotten their first glimpse of Vancouver's new domed B.C. Place Stadium and the intimidating breadth of its soccer field—at 76 yards, the broadest in the league. The second-narrowest, at 64 yards, is at Skelly Stadium in Tulsa, where, on Wednesday night, the Roughnecks' three-game semifinal with Montreal had ended in a handy 3-0 Tulsa victory.

Soccer Bowl 1983 Tulsa vs. Toronto from B.C. Place Stadium, Vancouver
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QubCSWZanEQ
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:07:43 pm by USRufnex » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 03:54:39 pm »

I'm all over curling.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:40:08 pm »

I'm all over curling.

Believe it or not, I watched the hell out of Curling in 02.  Was too busy with other things in 06 to care, but I'm pretty sure curling will be huge this time around given that it's in Nucklehead land.

Just shuffleboard on ice with brooms...  Cool

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:48:52 am »

Downhill skiing and ski jumping is what I'm most interested in with the winter olympics.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 10:08:00 am »

Downhill skiing and ski jumping is what I'm most interested in with the winter olympics.

Curling, hockey, skiing...like them all.  Like watching the women's hockey team because I did meet their best player when she played one game for the Oilers a few seasons ago, if you don't remember here's a reminder.

http://hockey.teamusa.org/athletes/angela-ruggiero

http://www.life.com/image/52079133
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:10:49 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org