A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 03:42:03 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big trash question  (Read 6013 times)
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 03:17:57 pm »

I like RecycleBank and know the guys who started it. It is a great idea. Unfortunately, it is a costly one. The costs for Tulsa to participate would be around a half million dollars per year. I just don't know if spending that much money to encourage more recycling would be supported by the citizens or the city council.

I think citizens would support it when they get paid to recycle.  Tulsa just has to sell it to the public but they have a history of problems with that.  Maybe use some of that extra trash fund money to pay for it.  Also recycling cuts down on trash so it may save almost as much as it costs. 

I think RecycleBank would be great for Tulsa but if they don't go that way they need to make voluntary recycling a core part of waste disposal equal to trash service.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 04:27:50 pm »

I think citizens would support it when they get paid to recycle.  Tulsa just has to sell it to the public but they have a history of problems with that.  Maybe use some of that extra trash fund money to pay for it.  Also recycling cuts down on trash so it may save almost as much as it costs. 

I think RecycleBank would be great for Tulsa but if they don't go that way they need to make voluntary recycling a core part of waste disposal equal to trash service.

I wouldn't mind it so much with the smaller containers except for the wacky scheduling.  Instead of the 2nd/4th Thursday, how about every other Thursday?.  There are some months where I go three weeks instead of two in between recycle pickups.  Kinda goofy if you ask me.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
PepePeru
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 04:54:41 pm »

I wouldn't mind it so much with the smaller containers except for the wacky scheduling.  Instead of the 2nd/4th Thursday, how about every other Thursday?.  There are some months where I go three weeks instead of two in between recycle pickups.  Kinda goofy if you ask me.

Does the 1st and 3rd Saturday sound better? 

I'd love to have my recycling picked up on the weekday instead of the weekend.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 09:19:58 pm »

My hope for Tulsa is to also have the big green containers picked up once a week but also a big blue container, the same size as the one for trash, picked up once a week or even once every two weeks. 

That is what the consultant (R.W. BECK) recommended for Tulsa. The operational costs would be the same as today, but you need about $9 million to buy the carts.

Coincidently, TARE (Tulsa trash authority) has $9 million is a reserve fund. Unfortunately, other people have their eye on those funds.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 01:13:38 am »

That is what the consultant (R.W. BECK) recommended for Tulsa. The operational costs would be the same as today, but you need about $9 million to buy the carts.

Coincidently, TARE (Tulsa trash authority) has $9 million is a reserve fund. Unfortunately, other people have their eye on those funds.

Can citizens voluntarily opt out from getting a 90 gallon behemoth?  I don't need nor do I want a mini-dumpster around my house.  Several of my neighbors live alone like me and generate very little waste.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 01:39:53 am »

Can citizens voluntarily opt out from getting a 90 gallon behemoth?  I don't need nor do I want a mini-dumpster around my house.  Several of my neighbors live alone like me and generate very little waste.

I live with my mother and we generate maybe three 13 gallon bags of waste a week.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 07:44:10 am »

Sure.

They make them in 30, 45, 60, and 90 gallon sizes. Most cities but at least two sizes for their customers and many offer a slight discount for those who accept a smaller cart. 

The smaller carts fit in garages easier and are easier to roll for senior citizens.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 08:44:35 am »

Why couldn't two or three households share a cart, each paying a reduced rate.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 08:49:53 am »

Why couldn't two or three households share a cart, each paying a reduced rate.

The city doesn't want to deal with calls about "my neighbor is taking up the whole cart"
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 11:51:19 am »

The dumping fee is not the only cost to the trash service. It also costs money just to run the trucks and pay the crews.  Not enough paying trash bins on a route would require a rate increase.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org