A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 06:38:29 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Biking questions....  (Read 2323 times)
MH2010
Philanthropist

« on: October 23, 2010, 11:40:12 pm »

I recently started biking again. I used to ride a mountain bike but now I've come to the realization that I will probably never actually ride on "mountain bike trails" again.  Falling just hurts too much and it just really doesn't appeal to me anymore.  However, I have found that I do enjoy riding on paved roads.  I've been borrowing a friend's "hybid" bike. I like it but it is a little slow for me and not what I am looking for. I looked at true road bikes but I don't like the aggressive road bike position.

Which leads to my questions...

1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a road bike that doesn't have that much of an aggressive lean.

2. I did ride a Specialized Tricross bike and really liked it.  It didn't seem like the riding position was that aggressive. I was wondering if anyone had one and what their thoughts were about it?

I think I can buy it for a good price but I just don't know that much about bikes.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:47:51 am »

In very general terms, traditional road bikes with dropped handlebars can be broken down into several categories.  Criterium racers (short course with lots of turns - think of the Tulsa Tough) are usually very stiff with high bottom brackets and a short wheelbase.  The frame design maximizes responsive handling and power transmission.  The downside is they're not terribly comfortable.  Road racers are a little better, usually with a lower bottom bracket that assists in ride comfort, but they have fairly low handlebars too.  As you've discovered, cyclocross bikes are a good compromise.  The handlebars are higher, and I think the top tube is usually a little shorter, allowing a more upright position.  Some have a high bottom bracket for clearance over rocks and logs.  At one time Litespeed offered both a touring bike and a cyclocross model based on the same frame.  Only the fork was different.  But what you may find most comfortable is a traditional touring bike or a dedicated commuting bike.  They offer a more upright position than the others, and if they fit properly, they're much like a rolling arm chair.  Mine is a Bianchi San Remo (sadly out of production, I believe) and it was marketed as a light touring bike.

Regardless of the bike you choose, it simply MUST fit properly.  You wouldn't buy a pair of ill-fitting shoes, so why do the same with a bike?  Try the local shops.  It's a slow time of the year for them and they'll probably be happy to see you!  If you're curious, there are some bike fitting sites on the internets, and I think there's even an app for the iPhone.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:25:22 am »

I really like my (Chinese) Giant hybrid. One of these days I'm going to get a set of bar ends for it, as it's a real PITA to ride in the wind with the upright posture. Otherwise it's great, as it's got a decently light but still strong cromoly frame, has 700C wheels/tires and has mountain bike gearing, which is great for fatties like me.

My only problem with it is that I don't ride it nearly enough.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:26:16 pm »

which is great for fatties like me.

My only problem with it is that I don't ride it nearly enough.

Fixing the second problem would help fix the first. 

(I don't actually know Nathan so I am going only on his statement that he is a "fattie".)

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 01:04:48 pm »

It's possible to fit dropped bars on a hybrid bike, but it can be expensive to replace the brake levers and shifters.  In fact, I saw a guy at a cyclocross race some years ago who'd done just that.  His Frankenbike was nicer than my Frankenbike!

I've seen aero bars on hybrids too.  That has to be a bit uncomfortable since the top tube is so short.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 01:22:51 pm »

Expensive option: one of several Rivendale models.

Less expensive option:  Surley Long Haul Trucker.

Both will gibe you a more upright posture than a full-out racing bike while being reasonably efficient. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:56:39 am »

They also make varying length handlebar stems, which can help greatly in making you more upright.

The advantage of a pure "road bike" is generally they are lighter than a hybrid and road tires will have slightly less drag than the knobby tires on a hybrid or "comfort" bike.  

There's a wide array of frame geometrys out there which will give you more upright seating on a road bike.  A shorter top tube will do this and a common adjustment for good bike fitters is the stem.  That is the piece which connects from the steerer tube on the front fork to the handlebars.  They come in varying lengths and rises.  The second stem pictured will place you back and more upright.

The bike I use for criterium racing has a longer top tube and stem and I've got the stem as low as possible for a more aero position.  The bike I use for road riding and endurance rides is what is referred to as a "compact" design and I've got a very short stem on it.  I've got shoulder issues that get painful in a more prone position so I'm more upright on that bike as I may be on it two to five hours at a time.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 12:09:29 pm »

Thanks everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org