A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 08:26:50 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: seafood ??  (Read 7198 times)
Miss Solemnis
Citizen

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 10:06:16 pm »

Other options:  Wild Fork does a great job with fish - always perfectly cooked.  Carrabba's (Yes, I know it's a chain.) has excellent mussels and calamari.  And for the best crab cakes around, head to A Bar (in the old Grapevine space).  Marcus' crab cakes are just incredible - big fat chunks of jumbo lump crab, onion, and a little mayo.  None of that nasty cheap dark meat crab and a bunch of filler/breading.  These are spectacular!

joiei
City Father

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 10:39:28 pm »

For me the best crab cakes in town are at Stonehorse Cafe.  I have yet to find a restaurant that does not over cook scallops or fish.  Bonefish is not all that, basically boring sauces, nothing interesting or inspired.  Islamorada at Bass is only servicable. The original restaurant in Islamorada, Fl does a much better job.  I have come to believe that if it is not natural to the area, then most of the kitchens do not know how to cook it. I grew up on the coast of Florida, I really do not go out for seafood here.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 07:53:44 am »

Used to be that Bodean's supplied the fresh fish for most of the area restaurants and had much of it flown in.  Anyone know if that's still the case?

Anyone know if the shrimp trucks still come up from the Gulf w/ fresh catch like they used to 20 years ago?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 08:04:10 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Used to be that Bodean's supplied the fresh fish for most of the area restaurants and had much of it flown in.  Anyone know if that's still the case?

Anyone know if the shrimp trucks still come up from the Gulf w/ fresh catch like they used to 20 years ago?

yes, the shrimp truck still comes... www.fabianseafood.com

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 12:11:05 pm »

Bruno,

Thanks, I got signed up on their email list.  They used to stop at the Albertson's parking lot at 81st & Yale when I lived out that way, but I'd not seen their trucks around town in a long while.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 12:42:52 pm »

quote:

Bruno,

Thanks, I got signed up on their email list.  They used to stop at the Albertson's parking lot at 81st & Yale when I lived out that way, but I'd not seen their trucks around town in a long while.

they are out on approx. 43rd and mingo in the tulsa auto tops lot...

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
AMP
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 10:42:58 pm »

White River Fish Market is the best I have found for value in seafood in Tulsa today.

Pennington's had the best fried shrimp for years in Tulsa when they were located on Brookside at the drive in.  Shrimp in a basket complete with a small dinner salad with French Dressing, a hot buttered roll with honey, French Fries and that awesome battered butterfly fried shrimp with Tarter and Cocktail sauce.  

None better I have ever found than Arch Pennington's fried Shrimp.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 08:03:33 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

White River Fish Market is the best I have found for value in seafood in Tulsa today.

Pennington's had the best fried shrimp for years in Tulsa when they were located on Brookside at the drive in.  Shrimp in a basket complete with a small dinner salad with French Dressing, a hot buttered roll with honey, French Fries and that awesome battered butterfly fried shrimp with Tarter and Cocktail sauce.  

Having eaten both, I'd rate Bros. Houligan's just a tick better than Pennington's.  They use chicken fry batter on theirs and it's a huge meal.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 01:19:57 pm »

Fabians didn't waste any time adding me to their email list, they will be here tomorrow, July 11 at Auto Tops of Tulsa on 41st St. east of Memorial.  I believe that's about where the split is for the BA service road.

AMP
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 01:39:46 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AMP

Having eaten both, I'd rate Bros. Houligan's just a tick better than Pennington's.  They use chicken fry batter on theirs and it's a huge meal.

The Green Onion also has a decent Fried Shrimp deal.  Almost forgot about them, been a few years since I had a really thick Rib-Eye steak that Dean from the radio station ad department bought me.  That was back in the days of expense accounts that seem to of gone the way of the hoola hoop in today's business world.  

They also have some very flavorful Sherried Tomato Soup.  We used to meet there once a month in the back meeting room, when I was in the South Tulsa Professionals group.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org