A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 04:28:41 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa top city in volunteerism hours  (Read 3251 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: July 09, 2007, 09:32:23 pm »

It will be interested to see how this gets spun into a negative by the ***** and moan crowd.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070709_1_A1_HAMWo73577

Hometown
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:58:58 am »

As I was walking over to the TV to change it from Channel 6 News to BBC I heard a stunning fact:  The City of Tulsa depends on volunteers to mow its property.

A city of nearly 1 million people does not have money on hand to mow its property.  If this fact wasn't so pathetic I would get angry.

What is wrong with you Tulsa?  You've been chasing cheap for so long you can't think good.

Maybe we have the greatest number of volunteers because our rich folks don't want to pay their fair share of supporting community life.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:05:44 pm »

Swake:

Say it and they will moan.

Looks like we just heard from their leader. [Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 12:29:53 pm »

Moan crowd...You talkin bout me? [Tongue]  My response still seems valid.

" I have always believed in the importance of volunteering. I didn't know where Tulsa ranked in comparison to other cities. Because we have such a; high crime rate, divorce rate, drug abuse rate, poverty levels, homelessness, child abuse, obesity, health problems, etc. etc. I figured we needed far more volunteering in this town. But to find out that we already are tops in volunteering is actually a bit disturbing. What is the solution to all these problems? How is it that we have such high rates of volunteering and church attendance and yet always land at the bottom of the pack on so many other important issues? I just don't get it. "

Perhaps its the blind leading the blind. If you dont know what to do or how to do it properly, all the good intentions and volunteering in the world wont help.

Perhaps its where the volunteers time and efforts are going. Are the 50,000 church volunteers raising money to send to missions in south America versus say drug prevention programs here?  Are the 31,000 Educational or youth services volunteers raising money for the band or taking time to be tutors? Not that any of those things are bad or should not be done. But I just dont understand how we can be such good volunteering, church going people and have so many problems? Are we missing something in these statistics?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:34:16 pm »

I volunteer all the time, but it is mostly because I have no skills that people would pay for.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:50:38 pm »

I would volunteer a lot more, but the pay sucks.

How do they track volunteerism?  It's not like there are payrolls to track this.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hometown
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 01:08:48 pm »

I don’t mean to let you down Conan, but neither you nor Swake has what it takes to make me moan.

Now answer me this you little gremlin.

Do you think it is normal for a city of a million people to depend on volunteers to mow its property?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 03:31:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

I don’t mean to let you down Conan, but neither you nor Swake has what it takes to make me moan.

Do you think it is normal for a city of a million people to depend on volunteers to mow its property?

First, Tulsa is not a million people, Tulsa Metro is, The City of Tulsa is about 390,000, give or take 10,000 illegals.

Second, I don’t believe it, the guys I see mowing don’t look like the “volunteer” kind.

Find a link or some sort of documentation of your claim. My understanding is that Tulsa pays union employees to mow at something close to $20 an hour. That’s might be charity money for mowing, but it’s the city that giving, not receiving.
Hometown
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 03:45:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

quote:

First, Tulsa is not a million people, Tulsa Metro is, The City of Tulsa is about 390,000, give or take 10,000 illegals.

Second, I don’t believe it, the guys I see mowing don’t look like the “volunteer” kind.

Find a link or some sort of documentation of your claim. My understanding is that Tulsa pays union employees to mow at something close to $20 an hour. That’s might be charity money for mowing, but it’s the city that giving, not receiving.

Sweetheart you are stuck in the '70s.

Channel 6 Last night before I could change it to BBC:

"Tulsa has budgeted money to mow its property 6 times a year.  Should it require more mowing they depend on volunteers."

I couldn't believe it myself.  But Swake, you may want to note, I'm a hundred years old with money in the bank.  I have no need to lie to you.

inteller
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 03:52:11 pm »

quote:

thanks for giving me my needed laugh of the day.[}:)]
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 05:19:26 pm »

Austin's medians and rights-of-way are just as bad if not worse than ours, and that's a city that everyone around here seems to admire.  6-8 mowings per year seems adequate for a city with a tight budget.  That's at least once or twice a month during growing season.  Anything ADDITIONAL is volunteer, so to imply that it is ALL volunteer is rather misleading.  I don't think we can expect our city to mow everything once a week.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 07:27:19 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by swake

quote:

Sweetheart you are stuck in the '70s.

Channel 6 Last night before I could change it to BBC:

"Tulsa has budgeted money to mow its property 6 times a year.  Should it require more mowing they depend on volunteers."

That is a far cry from what you were saying at first. So, the city mows once a month in the growing season. We might like more, but it's far from not mowing.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 08:29:16 am »

Well Rick Couri DID mow along Riverside a few years ago for his big fund raiser.  

I can honestly say I've never seen volunteers out mowing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org