A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 07:21:44 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show cars damaged by unknown spray  (Read 7118 times)
jiminy
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 03:53:12 pm »

So some construction guys were ticked off at having to work and not getting to rock?
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 06:00:05 pm »

Ex-Tulsan charged with tax evasion in embezzlement case

By DAVID HARPER World Staff Writer
10/25/2003

A former Tulsan has been charged with tax evasion in a case a federal prosecutor said was connected to the embezzlement of more than $250,000 from three local firms.

James Joseph Dailey, 50, was charged with failing to file income tax returns from 1998 through 2002 in an effort to conceal his actual income, which allegedly had been augmented by embezzlement.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Charles McLoughlin said Dailey worked as an accountant and office manager for F&H Supply, Green Country Interiors Inc. and General Acoustics Inc.

Dailey was hired by the companies in 1997 under the false name of James Owens, McLoughlin said, adding that the false name apparently was used to disguise a criminal record in Oregon.

Court records indicate that Dailey was sentenced there in March 1996 to one year in prison and two years of supervised release for the theft of $38,500 from a hospital.

McLoughlin said authorities believe that Dailey embezzled from the three Tulsa companies for several years until his activity was detected by the Internal Revenue Service in March.

Investigators believe that Dail ey spent the money on gambling
junkets to Las Vegas and Tunica, Miss., on vacations to Florida and the Caribbean, and to purchase two Corvettes, McLoughlin said.

Dailey, now of Fort Myers, Fla., was charged by the U.S. Attorney's Office in Tulsa instead of by grand jury indictment. Cases pursued in this manner usually result in guilty pleas.

McLoughlin said Dailey could be sentenced to between one year, nine months and 21/2 years in prison if he follows through with the plea.

Dailey will owe $287,019.08 in restitution, court records indicate.

Of that amount, $172,189.95 is owed F&H Supply, $110,161.03 to Green Country Interiors and $4,668.10 to General Acoustics, records show.

These employees were robbed of their Social Security. How many have been paid back?

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
inteller
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 06:39:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

We had something simulur happen in the mid-1990's. A company about 1/8 of a mile away was painting the water towers, & that spray got on peoples cars who worked at nearby factories. They tryed to collect for paint damage but failed. it got my vehicle to, but I drove an old 1981 Ford truck and cleaned it myself I scrubed out the little yellow paint dots myself and then waxed it. Yes, I'd be ticked off too if I had a brand new truck. In the end most of the people with damaged/paint dots on their cars took care of it  themselfs and had it detailed and cleaned on their own dime at local car detailing joints..[B)]

I think this might be a "If we ever want them or any other car show back in Tulsa" scenarios though

no kidding.  tulsa better make this right.
Trams
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 11:03:58 pm »

Surely Crown Plaza has some type of insurance that would cover the property damage - general liability insurance, or what not.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 12:40:13 am »

Do you ever wonder why Tulsa is crawling with illegal aliens? Ruthless, negligent, criminal, employers like this are to blame. Many of my esteemed colleagues in the professional building trades, including myself, disaffectionately refer to Green Country Interiors as Green Card(optional) Country.                                                                                                                            

Hispanics find niche in local economy                    By NORA K. FROESCHLE Assistant Editor
9/3/2003                                              
Below: Mike Rogers (left), Francisco Sanchez and Martin Cordova, who work for Green Country Interiors Inc., take a break at the construction site for Montereau at Warren Woods, a retirement center near 71st Street and Sheridan Road.Photos by NORA K. FROESCHLE / Tulsa World

Tulsa's  Hispanic population continues to grow, and its members help reshape the English-speaking culture.In Tulsa, the Hispanic population, both new and long-established, is influencing arts, sports and culture; religion, work and the economy; and education, social services and health care. In Oklahoma, 179,304 residents counted in the census called themselves Spanish, Hispanic or Latino, making them the third-largest minority population in the state behind American Indians and blacks. American Indians numbered 273,230, or 7.9 percent of the state's population, and black Oklahomans accounted for 260,968, or 7.5 percent of the total population.But the state's Hispanic community is the fastest-growing population, showing a 108 percent increase since 1990.

In Tulsa County, Census 2000 counted 33,616 people who identified themselves as Spanish, Hispanic or Latino, which is nearly 6 percent of the county's total population of 563,299. That number likely has risen. Unofficially, it is believed that the number of undocumented Hispanics in the Tulsa area would push the Hispanic population considerably above the Census 2000 figure.
                                                     Most Hispanic people come to Tulsa to improve their standard of living, said Maria Palacios, senior planner with the Community Service Council of Greater Tulsa, 16 E. 16th St.

The council conducted a comprehensive study of Tulsa's Hispanic population in 2001. Fifty-one percent of the respondents to the survey said they had moved to the area for job opportunities.
                                               In the workplace
Employment among Hispanic people provided a focus of the Community Service Council study. A majority of Hispanics polled worked in jobs that are considered blue-collar, Palacios said.

The notion that Hispanic workers are taking jobs from willing non-Hispanics is false, she said.

"These are not jobs that a lot of other people are lining up for, and only Hispanics get chosen," she said.

Fifteen percent of the respondents said they are working in construction, 14 percent in hotel and restaurants, 12 percent are in professional and managerial fields, and 11 percent are technicians in a variety of fields.

Twelve percent fell into the "other" category, and the remaining 36 percent of the respondents said they worked in cleaning, homemaking, agriculture, factory work, education, clerical, service, engineering and medical fields.

In the construction industry, a major employer reports a positive experience in employing Hispanic workers according to Xavier Neira, vice president of special projects for the company.

Rooney Brothers Co., 5601 S. 122nd East Ave., the parent company of Manhattan Construction Co. and Hope Lumber and Supply Co., nationwide employs 2,600 people, 46 percent of whom are Hispanic. In Tulsa, the company employs 447 workers, 34 percent of whom are Hispanic.

Changing world
Neira, who emigrated from Mexico with his family when he was 13, serves as an unofficial spokesman and liaison to the company's Spanish-speaking workers.

Most of the company's forms and training materials have been translated into Spanish, and work sites have signs posted in English and Spanish. But these moves reflect only the surface evidence of what is apparently a deeper transformation.

Accordingly, the company changed pay structures to reward performance in some areas. For example, workers who load trucks of lumber are paid by the load, rather than by the hour.

This fall, the company will introduce a pilot payroll program that will work something like a card for an automated teller machine.

"We have so many employees who can't get a checking account," Neira said.

Almost 50 percent of the respondents in the Community Service Council study said they did not have personal bank accounts.

Workers who do not have bank accounts usually pay a fee to have their checks cashed, Neira said.

Instead of printing weekly payroll checks and shipping them to sites around the country, the company plans to issue a payroll ATM card to each employee. The cards would benefit the company, because it would save on check printing and shipping costs. It also would lessen the employees' worries about their cash, Neira said.

He believes the program will inspire company loyalty as well.

"If you show concern, you get it back three-fold," Neira said.

In 2000, the Home Builders Association of Greater Tulsa estimated the economic impact of the Hispanic workforce on the construction industry alone was $50 million.

<center>
</center>
AMP
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2007, 02:26:55 am »

That type of restoration is hard to accomplish.  Original paint is worth far more on classic cars than a restoration.  

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 06:30:12 am »

I don't think there is a link between some cars getting sprayed with paint and some Tulsa employers hiring Hispanic employees.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 08:13:51 am »

The idea that this is Tulsa's fault makes me laugh.....

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 08:54:09 am »

quote:
Originally posted by recyclemichael

I don't think there is a link between some cars getting sprayed with paint and some Tulsa employers hiring Hispanic employees.

Right, the unskilled, uneducated, un trained, unsafe, slave wage, piecework, illegal alien laborers doing the work wouldn't have any connection at all. Green Card(optional) Country just learned you get what you pay for the hard way. I AM: a classic car show victimized by cheap illegal workers and a Mayor who refuses to address the problem of illegal immigration. FIND ME: In Tulsa. Make Life Bitter.

<center>
</center>
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2007, 01:02:52 pm »

Likely crown plaza didn't put the forthought into telling their contractors not to paint during the show. As far as spraying when their are expensive cars underneath, I've never known stupidity to be tied to race. I'm pretty sure there are idiots in every color.
inteller
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2007, 02:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

yeah, keep laughing while tulsa gains a bad rep as a convention host and loses millions in future tourism dollars.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2007, 02:39:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:

yeah, keep laughing while tulsa gains a bad rep as a convention host and loses millions in future tourism dollars.

You and A/A been playing house together.....

inteller
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 04:17:15 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:

You and A/A been playing house together.....

no, just living in REALITY.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 11:12:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy

So some construction guys were ticked off at having to work and not getting to rock?

No drifting overspray from all the hairspray in Pryor.  Sorry my lame attempt at humor.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org