A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2024, 04:36:25 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Cox HS Internet Running Slow.?  (Read 5041 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 07:40:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I just finished installing the basic cable package at my house:

Pretty pathetic.  I might have to upgrade, but then again I'm used to DSL at work. [xx(]

The standard cable modem package should be a lot faster than that. Sounds like you have some issues.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 09:30:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I just finished installing the basic cable package at my house:

Pretty pathetic.  I might have to upgrade, but then again I'm used to DSL at work. [xx(]

The standard cable modem package should be a lot faster than that. Sounds like you have some issues.

Oh, I got issues... but let's not make it personal.  I've got a few other cable outlets to try in the house and see if I get better speed.  It's on par w/ the DSL at work, but not what I'm used to when I had cable at my own business.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 09:32:15 pm »

These speed tests arent neccesarily indicative of Cox's performance.  If you try repeatedly on different servers and still cant seem to top 2000-3000kbps you may be having some issues with Cox.

These speed tests vary greatly on the server and what backbone paths it takes to get to them.

The server in Stillwater is closest "as the crow flies", but not "as the light traverses the fibers".  For Cox in Tulsa to get to that Stillwater server, Cox goes to Level3, which goes to Dallas, Switches over to Sprint in Fort Worth, then comes back to the Chickasaw server in Oklahoma.  Perhaps the lower numbers would indicate Sprint's fiber network isnt performing as well as Level3's.

I just busted this on a Kansas City server, much faster than I got on that Stillwater server.

Of course, to the average internet user, they don't know or care which websites and servers bounce through what networks, they just see the download speeds.  All I am saying is that Cox can provide an eleventy billion meg per second connection to you, but you will still be limited to the speeds that the sites you are communicating at can serve you at.   I think the faster the speed your internet provider offers, the more pronounced this issue becomes of not always being able to get your "advertised" speed on some sites.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 11:46:53 am »

I am having a heck of a time with loading the cox.net homepage. It sometimes takes 10-15 minute to load up. And yes, I have now changed my homepage and am assessing the result.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Nick Danger
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2007, 04:03:18 pm »

The issues I have been having lately have been with the Cox webmail. Hangs up, sends me back to sign-in page, etc.

Nick
AMP
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 11:16:43 am »

Stillwter site Test

I feel your pain.

However, I stopped at a friends shop last week to use his PC to print a file off the internet.  Took 14 minutes to load the web site, 22 minutes to download a text file.  And YouTube appeared after 10 minutes and looked like turning pages in a magazine. LOL

How did we live with that for so many years at speeds slower than the 56K Modems.  Believe my first modem was a 9600 Baud, then a 28.8K, the .8 really made a big difference then. LOL

At the time that seemed to be the ultimate, expecially when we had four external ones with four individual phone lines gathering applications from job seekers 24/7.  I ran that on a a 450DX Chip Mother Board, running Remote Access BBS software.  At the time no one would ever need any more power. LOL  

RA Website last updated 2001 http://www.rapro.com/

Lexington, Kentucky the recommended site Test

Chicago site Test

Kansas City, MO Test
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org