A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 10:22:39 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay marriage in California  (Read 10179 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 09:54:51 am »

The voters hope to overturn this in November. Gay marriage is not only wrong and not needed but it will open the door to anything goes in the future. A man can marry his brother, sister or have 3 wives or marry his dog it'll be anything goes. I'm against gay marriage.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
dggriffi
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 11:28:54 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Technically all it means is the law banning gay marriage has been stricken.  So the issue is still open and there are no provisions for the State to marry same-sex couples. So it's in limbo...

I don't care who you marry.  I have yet to hear a logical argument against gay marriage:

1) Clearly marriage is no meant to "populate the earth" as the Bible says, since most couples use birth control.  And what of couples that can not procreate - does that mean they can not get married?

2) The "sanctity of marriage" argument is laughable, given the 50+% divorce rate.  Far be it for a few gays to ruin our sacred, holy, and eternal unions that we heterosexuals always uphold.

3) "Family values" is the same basic argument.  Even if you want to argue gay marriage is against family values... We split up families all the time, that's not a family value.  And what about wife beaters, alcoholics, drug users, or just plain old deadbeats... should we forbid these people form marrying because they do not have good family values?  Or is it OK so long as they aren't gay?

4) The benefits argument also falls short:  would you marry another man for health insurance?  Most people wouldn't.  Plus, this trick is still available to man-woman relationships, so the same sex ban doesn't really remedy the problem.   Ancillary issues about inheritance, visitation,  and family choice (pull the plug doc) are really non-issues and a gay man can contractual allow his partner most of these rights anyway.  So denying them marriage on that basis is just petty.
- - -

The issue comes down to either a religious argument (it's a sin!) or a personal disgust of gay marriage (or to be more PC "I just think it's wrong"), neither of which is a compelling argument nor a logical basis for a law.   It comes down to tradition and inertia at this point.  By the time my son has children I'm guessing gay marriage is no big deal.  I really don't see a reason why it's a big deal now (but what if people want top marry their Gold Fish next?  Not that it's the same... but so what if htey do?).

/ my $1.05

very well said.  In a free society,  its really not anyones business who someone else marries. simplistically speaking.
mr.jaynes
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 12:50:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

Good lord. What an abomination.

I mean seriously..who would want to marry a Californian?

Can Californians marry outside of their own?  If so, will the children be retarded too?

No, just very shallow individuals with no idea that there is a real world with real people outside the state of California.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 02:52:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

The voters hope to overturn this in November. Gay marriage is not only wrong and not needed but it will open the door to anything goes in the future. A man can marry his brother, sister or have 3 wives or marry his dog it'll be anything goes. I'm against gay marriage.

A man can marry his dog? What does sauerkraut know about dogs?

Power is nothing till you use it.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 03:36:41 pm »

I always love the comparison between same sex marriage and allowing people to marry their dogs.  

On the bright side, I know a lot of guys who seem to love their dogs at least as much as their wives.  If people really could marry their dogs, I bet the divorce rate would go down!

After people start marrying their dogs, I think a lot of guys are going to want to marry their cars.  They sure seem to spend enough time caressing and fondling them out in their driveways.  All that washing and waxing on the weekend?  Just an excuse to grop the grills!  You'll notice that the less happily married the fellow, the more time he spends with his cars. (I mean, really!  Didn't you just wash and wax that thing last weekend?)

"She was a hot machine, she kept her motor clean..."
deinstein
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 04:13:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist
As for getting married.... I can't even find a decent date in this town.

No crap.
deinstein
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 04:13:46 pm »

quote:

So glad you're a dying breed.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 04:48:34 pm »

quote:

Who exactly is it that is arguing for incest or bestiality? Or is this just some sick fantasy of yours, kept at bay by the ban on gay marriage?

And just because I'm on the topic, who on earth are you to say what somebody else needs? Is it the oh so common "I've got mine so f*** everybody else" mentality in action or what?

I don't know why I'm asking..these things never end well, except amongst young people who haven't been indoctrinated by their so-called Church. (any church that preaches intolerance is no church at all in my book)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
mr.jaynes
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 07:38:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

quote:

No crap.

Oh, a decent person to date is out there, it's just a matter of a person having standards and being just as willing to live up to them.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 07:52:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

I always love the comparison between same sex marriage and allowing people to marry their dogs.  

Oh I know!  Once they allowed marriage between men and women, look what happened!  Men wanted to marry men and women wanted to marry women.  Maybe they should just ban marriage for everyone then no one would want to marry anyone inappropriate. [Cheesy]

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 10:18:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mr.jaynes

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

quote:

No crap.

Oh, a decent person to date is out there, it's just a matter of a person having standards and being just as willing to live up to them.

I like to think I do that lol. The trick is finding someone else out there that can do that.

Oh and thanks TU Robby. Just what I need some 20 something who has someone, telling me a 40 something who has never had anyone, to be patient lol. Niiiice lol.

However... I do have 2 kitties. But its just not the same. Conversations are so one sided, they never seem to really get me and understand what I go through when I tell them about my day. They tend to stay out all night doing who knows what and running around with who knows who. They rarely pull their own weight. I am constantly picking up after them. Yet its my income that pays the bills. And then they even have the nerve to get picky about what they eat. While they are out playing in the evenings, after having laid around like bums all day, I usually end up sitting at home each night after a hard days work, on the couch, nursing a bout of self-pity with a gallon of chocolate ice cream, watching old movies... alone...

Ok, well perhaps it is like a real relationship. lol

« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:22:45 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 07:17:31 am »

quote:

...nursing a bout of self-pity with a gallon of chocolate ice cream...

And you are still able to maintain that figure? I eat a Twix bar and gain 15 pounds the next day. [Tongue]

---Robert
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 09:13:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa1603

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

Oh I know!  Once they allowed marriage between men and women, look what happened!  Men wanted to marry men and women wanted to marry women.  Maybe they should just ban marriage for everyone then no one would want to marry anyone inappropriate. [Cheesy]

I'm intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Just don't tell my wife.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 09:21:30 am »

My wife and I were happy for thirty years. Then we met.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 09:33:39 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

quote:

A man can marry his dog? What does sauerkraut know about dogs?

Not to get off topic but you have never ate a hot dog if it's not smothered in Sauerkraut. A hot dog is not a hot dog without Sauerkraut... Sauerkraut goes with many foods and it's darn healthy too.[Smiley]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org