A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 07, 2024, 08:06:11 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Resurrection of Casa Bonita  (Read 12859 times)
dbacks fan
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 08:53:46 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:
Originally posted by chlfan

Yeah Steve-
I remember all that stuff. Do you also recall the huge yellow slide in the parking lot just to the north of that building? You'd grab a burlap bag, climb the stairs and then catch some air on the way down.
A lot of other memories in the shopping center as well.

No, I do not recall any "super slide" in the vicinity of Casa Bonita at 21st & Sheridan, and I lived in the area from 1960 until 1976.  I do remember a "super slide" as you described just south of the old Oertles Department Store on Memorial at about 28th Street.

I also rmember the slide next to Casa Bonita and the one by Oertle's, and I think that at one time there was a go cart track next to Oertle's as well as where Fred Jones L&M was at 41st and Memorial.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 03:32:17 pm »

Awesome...I went to Casa Viva and the food was even worse than Case Bonita! Maybe this 3rd change will work!
santalar
Liberty Blessed America
Citizen

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 03:44:02 pm »

The Casa Viva signs came down today. Looks like progress is being made.

Liberty Blessed America
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 04:21:32 pm »

I wish they'd resurrect Crystals instead.

AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 04:51:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by hello

I wish they'd resurrect Crystals instead.

+1
santalar
Liberty Blessed America
Citizen

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 09:25:01 pm »

21st & Sheridan needs a makeover. Resurrecting Crystal's Pizza & Spaghetti along with Casa Bonita  would be great.

Unfortunately, it is only Casa Bonita for now.

Liberty Blessed America
perspicuity85
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 02:34:27 pm »

I hate to be negative, but I really don't see Casa Bonita making a successful comeback, especially at its former location.  The whole concept of themed family restaurants has kind of gone out of style.  Dining out, in and of itself, just isn't as special as it was 30 years ago.  Many families today go out to eat 4 or 5 nights per week, and aren't willing to spend the time required for a leisurely meal.  Perhaps the restaurant would be successful on weekends.  There is also much more competition in the local Mexican food arena these days: several chain restaurants + a big influx of native Hispanics.  If I were opening Casa Bonita today, I would locate it near an area containing a lot of out-of-towners, such as the hotel conglomeration of I-44/BA Expy.

Bottom line: if the food is damn good, I mean as good or better than most native-owned places such as El Tequila or Casa Laredo, then people will go there as long as the location is visible.  Besides that, you have a perfect illustration of the volatility of the restaurant business.
Noodlez
Activist

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 01:39:05 pm »

Looks like it's been pushed back to the 8th, or at least that is when they would have a idea about opening. Or so the guy that answered the phone says. Maybe a good thing with all the road work.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 01:44:04 pm »

Actually it turns out my neighbor is some level of management at the company opening it back up and will be on board.  I'll see if I can get the scoop from him.  Last I heard they were busy trying to get everything in top order (ie. working waterfall) and a decent crew together.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 02:05:53 pm »

Can't wait!  I love squirt cheese enchiladas.  Just hate that I've got to bring my own hot sauce!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 05:45:18 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by perspicuity85

I hate to be negative, but I really don't see Casa Bonita making a successful comeback, especially at its former location.  The whole concept of themed family restaurants has kind of gone out of style.  Dining out, in and of itself, just isn't as special as it was 30 years ago.  Many families today go out to eat 4 or 5 nights per week, and aren't willing to spend the time required for a leisurely meal.  Perhaps the restaurant would be successful on weekends.  There is also much more competition in the local Mexican food arena these days: several chain restaurants + a big influx of native Hispanics.  If I were opening Casa Bonita today, I would locate it near an area containing a lot of out-of-towners, such as the hotel conglomeration of I-44/BA Expy.

Bottom line: if the food is damn good, I mean as good or better than most native-owned places such as El Tequila or Casa Laredo, then people will go there as long as the location is visible.  Besides that, you have a perfect illustration of the volatility of the restaurant business.

If I were to open a Mexican restaurant, the last thing I'd name it around here would be Casa Bonita.  With locals, it lost it's cache in the mid '80's.

It used to be said that it was only out-of-towners who ate there.  The food was "commissary-grade" at best, ALPO at the worst.

Blech!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
OSU
Activist

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 06:01:04 pm »

Ok the insults to my favorite childhood restaurant have gone too far[Cheesy]. Where else can you eat unlimited tacos in a fake cave...? I rest my case.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:02:55 pm by OSU » Logged

In_Tulsa
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 11:45:51 am »

It's open now the bad news is that they now want $10.99 for the all you can eat. when they closed it was $8.29.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 11:50:40 am »

quote:
Originally posted by In_Tulsa

The bad news is it's open now.  They now want $10.99 for a plate full of sh!t.  When they closed it was $8.29.

There, fixed it for you.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
breitee
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 02:42:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by In_Tulsa

The bad news is it's open now.  They now want $10.99 for a plate full of sh!t.  When they closed it was $8.29.

There, fixed it for you.

Who wants to guess how long that dump will stay open with prices like that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org