A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2024, 05:49:02 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Centennial Green  (Read 28833 times)
Gold
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 11:31:43 am »

It looks about the same as it did four months ago, except they brought the trees in to store next to the park.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 11:55:55 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

It's not their fault.  It rained this spring.  In addition to the rain, the weather in Oklahoma was uncharacteristically unpredictable.   [xx(]

LOL [}:)]
Yeah that Oklahoma weather is just putting everyone out of business.

We give our guys raincoats and sunglasses, it's an expense, but worth it!

There must be something else holding this up.  Really!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 12:28:24 pm »

I went by today. The only thing really left to do is unit pavers and sod.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 07:21:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I went by today. The only thing really left to do is unit pavers and sod.

The center of the site was ready for irrigation installation and then sod, now it needs to be re-graded following the rain. Paver work was underway on Tuesday at the NE corner and there is still some stone facing and cap to do on the wall, especially on the west side.  

Weather delays to a project such as this go far beyond just this site not being able to work when it is raining on the workers heads.  When nearly everything around town with heavy landscape work is behind from the weather and everybody is screaming that their project is the most important one in town getting caught back up is difficult.

Overall, completion by the month appears very doable and this project from my daily observation is ahead of most.

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 09:39:56 am »

Not the best picture but you can see some progress.

[image]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2735066035_62fd4cb981.jpg?v=1217950679[/image]

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 09:55:28 am »

Thanks for the updated picture.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 11:46:55 am »

So where is the ampitheater structure and centennial markers?
OurTulsa
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 12:44:40 pm »

I really hope there will be some trees around the north side of the park...or that will be a baking pan as it currently is...this time of year.

I see an opportunity to create a really nice walking corridor along that north side sidewalk.  Plant some medium to large canopy trees on either side of the sidewalk and I guaranty that stretch between Main St. and Boston Av. will be the most pleasant place downtown.  Add a few moveable chairs/tables and you've got the creation of a better-usable place.  

As it is, it's still certainly far better than what was and I'll visit during a lunch break or two during the week.  I hope a nice cafe opens up across the street.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:45:31 pm by OurTulsa » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 02:30:55 pm »

quote:

I think the amphitheater is that semi-circle in the Southwest corner. The way the lawn slopes up from there to the fountain on the Northeast side suggests "theater seating" (at least when you're standing there).

I agree with HT. It needs a lot more trees, and not just on the perimeter, it needs some on the lawn.
Gold
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 03:09:56 pm »

Kanbar was trying to raise the rent because of this little park, last I heard.  I really want to believe in this thing, but it has been such a pain in the rear end, I kind of don't care anymore.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 03:18:05 pm »

Don't care about the park, don't care about the Kanbar properties/promises or don't care about DT?

Edited to correct typo
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:20:11 pm by carltonplace » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 04:38:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

quote:

I think the amphitheater is that semi-circle in the Southwest corner. The way the lawn slopes up from there to the fountain on the Northeast side suggests "theater seating" (at least when you're standing there).

I agree with HT. It needs a lot more trees, and not just on the perimeter, it needs some on the lawn.

There is actually supposed to be a neat little building with the amphitheater/stage on one side and a sidewalk cafe type area on the other.  I think they werent able to come up with all the funds at this time, dont remember the specifics. But it really needs that structure to finish off the park. Same with the markers and walk.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 03:21:23 pm »

Well, the fountain is now working but please tell me they are not done with this project. I imagine most of the visitors to this park will be people on their lunch breaks. Where are those in business clothes supposed to sit exactly? I had imagined something more Bryant Park-esque.

pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2008, 10:21:56 am »

Good post Hello.  Green space is good... But having a place to sit within that green space is imperative if it is going to be an effective public space.

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2008, 10:33:09 am »

FWIW...I think the design is quite nice, and it has the potential to be a great public space. Kudos.

In fact, someone with the time and initiative should Nominate it as a Great Public Space....

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org