A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 07:53:34 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Centennial Green  (Read 28679 times)
OurTulsa
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2008, 02:46:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vision 2025

Dead tree replacement underway today!

FYI - The rendering shown in the link was the preliminary rendering, after budgeting and plans were developed and bids were taken several items were eliminated and/or phased like the kiosk to get the project into the available funds.

Please don't let this one get swept up onto the shelf.  Keep the Vision - TREES ON THE NORTH SIDE!  

What if 'Up With Trees' could help finish it off?  Who could they get in contact with?  Is this a City park or one managed by DTU, Land Legacy?  I can't remember.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2008, 02:51:27 pm »

Or, ask indiviuals for donations. I'd donate a tree...

---Robert
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2008, 04:51:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vision 2025

Dead tree replacement underway today!

FYI - The rendering shown in the link was the preliminary rendering, after budgeting and plans were developed and bids were taken several items were eliminated and/or phased like the kiosk to get the project into the available funds.

So please tell me... is the Kiosk building/seating area going to eventually get built? If they are not going go build anything there, with or without the trees, knowing that can enable some of us dreamers to come up with something or for us to try and raise money to have the kiosk building put in.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2008, 07:09:15 pm »

I thhink he said the Kiosk was phased meaning it is coming, just not right now. If you look the wiring and posts for securing it are in place and I can't imagine they would have that coming out of the ground if the kiosk was far off.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2008, 10:11:09 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I thhink he said the Kiosk was phased meaning it is coming, just not right now. If you look the wiring and posts for securing it are in place and I can't imagine they would have that coming out of the ground if the kiosk was far off.

I understand, that's the plan...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:29:18 pm by Vision 2025 » Logged

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
OurTulsa
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2008, 10:33:26 pm »

Walked through again this evening and I know it's not complete however it still feels really empty to me.  The fountain placement is good, nice focal point on the most visible corner.  The cluster of trees in the over the paved area in the southwest corner is a nice touch and will no doubt be the most pleasant area.  The edges of this park however flat out suck.  The green will be pleasant on particularly cooler days but the space lacks visual organization.  The entry to the space just seems as if it could have been more formalized and articulated.  PLANT SOME DARN TREES around the edges...PLEASE.  

Trees will make that park.  Put a tight orderly row in the planters on the southside to give the green a better sense of space and make that corridor along the southern edge more pleasant and less exposing.  And for God's sake help make the pedestrian experience on the north side of the park more pleasant.  We have so few pleasant urban places to walk in this City and I thought this would be one.  I can't help but feel exposed on that north side, or baked.  The lack of trees on the northern edge is unacceptable in this climate.  This ain't London, where you can get away with almost exclusively hardscaping an area.  The weather around here makes that almost impossible!  Through my rant however, wait a few weeks for Fall before planting.

Despite my rant, I am extremely thankful for the park and love it far more than I did the nasty asphalt PARKing lot it replaced.  I am greatful to those who initiated this process and made it happen; you guys rock!  I just don't get why we don't plant more trees around here in public projects (exclusive of RiverParks latest enhancement).

RecycleMichael, what are the chances we can convince Up With Trees to help us put the finishing touches on this park assuming we can even get authority to enhance the edges?  And assuming that my view is not in the minority.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:36:59 pm by OurTulsa » Logged
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2008, 06:21:09 am »

The southern edge is where the petro (history) wall is supposed to go.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2008, 06:25:06 am »

Up with Trees has been consulting with the Parks department about trees at this park. I agree the park needs a few more and some of the ones planted have already died.

It is almost impossible to plant trees during the summer. We have to wait until temperatures go down to expect the trees to have a chance.

They are also going to have a struggle based on the planting boxes. It is like planting in a bucket and the bucket is filled with rocks. These trees are never going to turn into massive shade at that location with those conditions.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2008, 06:36:12 am »

Here's some updated information:
-There will be no additional North Side trees. those were nixed early on (I'm guessing view obstruction)
-There will be one large tree added to the center "Green" area in the near future (centennial tree)
-A "Grand Opening" is planned for November and the Amphitheater Wall as well as the Sculpture for the middle of the fountain should both be in by that time.
-The Petro Wall is on permanent hiatus.
-The restrooms and cafe are still on the horizon, although there is currently no project in place to do that. Plumbing and electric for the cafe and restrooms were run during the park construction.
-The Centennial Green is a city park with a contract with "Tulcenter, Inc." (DTU) to maintain it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 06:37:47 am by sgrizzle » Logged
OurTulsa
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2008, 02:21:25 pm »

quote:

Here's some updated information:
-There will be no additional North Side trees. those were nixed early on (I'm guessing view obstruction)
-There will be one large tree added to the center "Green" area in the near future (centennial tree)
-A "Grand Opening" is planned for November and the Amphitheater Wall as well as the Sculpture for the middle of the fountain should both be in by that time.
-The Petro Wall is on permanent hiatus.
-The restrooms and cafe are still on the horizon, although there is currently no project in place to do that. Plumbing and electric for the cafe and restrooms were run during the park construction.
-The Centennial Green is a city park with a contract with "Tulcenter, Inc." (DTU) to maintain it.

In other words:  a half-assed park

Great
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2008, 10:06:20 pm »

How was it half-assed because they moved some trees and removed a wall?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2008, 02:18:38 pm »

Pictures from the Grand Opening:

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2008, 02:25:03 pm »

quote:

The old-school Cylon Centurion-head award was kewl...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2008, 03:27:35 pm »

"The park also is the trailhead for the Centennial Walk, a two-mile path with bricklike sidewalks, special lighting and trees that connects downtown's major attractions. It's also a Vision 2025 project."

And I know we're all excited about seeing more and more Acorn lights, arent we?  [B)]

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2008, 04:06:44 pm »

The guy in the middle is the artist and president of TYPROS.

The cylon tranformer toaster robot is a model of the sculpture that is going to be installed on top of the fountain.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org